Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need app spree advice

tag
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Re: Need app spree advice

I second applying for Amex first and then going for a second Amex if approved.

Then, possibly either Chase or Discover in addition. While others go on deeper sprees, I prefer not to stack my apps too high because I want to make sure I can actually complete all the requirements for earning the bonuses on the cards I get. 

I'd wait on Barclays, because it's better to get them when you're not planning a big spree.

But definitely Amex first.  The earlier in your life you get one, the better. With backdating, you get a lifelong advantage from acquiring the card as soon as possible.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 11 of 19
trzarocks

@Evel_Knievel wrote:
At the time of the Barclays app I had 2 baddies and a judgement that was/is PIF. All the baddies are gone except the judgement I'm stuck with until 2015.
No other CCs, just an auto loan with an $1800 balance always on time.
Maybe 3 inquiries in past 12 months, 2 for sure.
Waiting on the 6th PIF payment to post before I do anything.
Thanks for your help. Any advice is appreciated.

I would do 1 card every 6 months.  Discover might approve you on recon, but you're going to get their subprime offer if anything.  Your best bet with Amex is a revolver, but I'm not seeing much for you there.  I don't follow Chase or Barclay's much ATM.  I think you're jumping the gun on these cards, though.

I think your better bet is to get a GE card to work on bumping your average CL up over time.  They're easy enough to get, and if you use it a bit you can see CLIs every 4 months or so.  Pick whatever's useful to you.  WM for the TU FICO, Amazon because you shop there a lot, a home improvement store if you go to one, etc.

You might also want to pursue a revolver from a Credit Union.  It's nice to have a relationship with one, and they seem to be more flexible with marginal credit.

What you don't want to do is burn HPs and end up in subprime buckets with prime issuers.

Message 12 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Evel_Knievel wrote:
MyJorney, are you saying app one at a time in the "same day" only proceeding after an approval?

Yes apply for all cards on the same day however something you should be aware of about recons which is why I suggest you proceed with caution if you see a denial (reassess) 

Amex will not recon unless there's clearly something wrong on your CR's and then they'll require you to send a new CR and they will still HP again 

IMHO your a prime candidate for a Amex double pull and I still haven't seen an EX score.....critical info needed before applying with them

Chase is really good with recon top notch in fact 

Barclay hit or miss ESP in your case with limited CC history and they have been known to HP again on recon YMMV

Discover hit or miss on recon

Based on all these factors yes proceed with caution and make all HP's count to the best of your ability

IMHO and I looked at all the facts and not having a EX score I would tread lightly and app in this order 

Amex EX possble double EQ as well 

Discover EQ or  depending on region EX TU

Barclay TU

Chase EX possible double EQ as well 

Good luck I'll be pulling for you 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 13 of 19
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@myjourney wrote:

@Evel_Knievel wrote:
MyJourney, are you saying app one at a time in the "same day" only proceeding after an approval?

Yes apply for all cards on the same day however something you should be aware of about recons which is why I suggest you proceed with caution if you see a denial (reassess) 

Amex will not recon unless there's clearly something wrong on your CR's and then they'll require you to send a new CR and they will still HP again 

IMHO your a prime candidate for a Amex double pull and I still haven't seen an EX score.....critical info needed before applying with them

Barclay hit or miss ESP in your case with limited CC history and they have been known to HP again on recon YMMV

Based on all these factors yes proceed with caution and make all HP's count to the best of your ability

IMHO and I looked at all the facts and not having a EX score I would tread lightly and app in this order 

Barclay TU

Yes, I agree on taking it slowly, and stop and seriously reconsider the situation if you get a denial. Denial generally means you went too far, you should have stopped well before that. The point isn't to get as many toy limits as possible, and then have to waste more inquiries on each card over and over in order to get slightly higher limits. Its much better to work on a small quantity, and then when your scores and history are better/longer, then you apply and get much better starting limits, etc.

My advice right now would be to do nothing. You said you had 6 months history? That is absolute minimum history. Its is much better to wait another 6 months and get the FICO score much stronger,and have a longer history. Then you can apply for some cards will a good chance of obtaining a good card with a fairly good starting limit.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 14 of 19
Evel_Knievel
Established Member

@trzarocks wrote:

@Evel_Knievel wrote:
At the time of the Barclays app I had 2 baddies and a judgement that was/is PIF. All the baddies are gone except the judgement I'm stuck with until 2015.
No other CCs, just an auto loan with an $1800 balance always on time.
Maybe 3 inquiries in past 12 months, 2 for sure.
Waiting on the 6th PIF payment to post before I do anything.
Thanks for your help. Any advice is appreciated.

I would do 1 card every 6 months.  Discover might approve you on recon, but you're going to get their subprime offer if anything.  Your best bet with Amex is a revolver, but I'm not seeing much for you there.  I don't follow Chase or Barclay's much ATM.  I think you're jumping the gun on these cards, though.

I think your better bet is to get a GE card to work on bumping your average CL up over time.  They're easy enough to get, and if you use it a bit you can see CLIs every 4 months or so.  Pick whatever's useful to you.  WM for the TU FICO, Amazon because you shop there a lot, a home improvement store if you go to one, etc.

You might also want to pursue a revolver from a Credit Union.  It's nice to have a relationship with one, and they seem to be more flexible with marginal credit.

What you don't want to do is burn HPs and end up in subprime buckets with prime issuers.

GE? Are you refering to General Electric? Sorry not sure if that's what you mean.

I am seeing the point about being stuck with too much subprime cards when a 6 month wait my yield better results.

Message 15 of 19
PandiferBear
Frequent Contributor

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Evel_Knievel wrote:
MyJourney, are you saying app one at a time in the "same day" only proceeding after an approval?

Barclay TU

Yes, I agree on taking it slowly, and stop and seriously reconsider the situation if you get a denial. Denial generally means you went too far, you should have stopped well before that. The point isn't to get as many toy limits as possible, and then have to waste more inquiries on each card over and over in order to get slightly higher limits. Its much better to work on a small quantity, and then when your scores and history are better/longer, then you apply and get much better starting limits, etc.

My advice right now would be to do nothing. You said you had 6 months history? That is absolute minimum history. Its is much better to wait another 6 months and get the FICO score much stronger,and have a longer history. Then you can apply for some cards will a good chance of obtaining a good card with a fairly good starting limit.

I agree with this.  GIve it time.  Maybe even another year.  As hard as it is for me to stay in the garden, I do it because I want the higher CLs and lower APRs that it will get me.  Give it some time, and I am sure you will be very happy that you did.  Then you can do your app spree, and you will likely get results you are happier with. 

EX 793 (06/29/16) TU 787 (07/03/16) EQ 711 (06/30/16) Goal: 780 across the board
Amex Everyday: $25,000 | Venture: $15,000 | Chase Hyatt: $12,000 | Discover IT: $11,700 | Barclay Ring $7,500 | Quicksilver: $7,750 | CareCredit: $5,000 | Amazon Synch: $5,000
Message 16 of 19
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@PandiferBear wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

@myjourney wrote:

@Evel_Knievel wrote:

Barclay TU

I agree with this.  GIve it time.  Maybe even another year.  As hard as it is for me to stay in the garden, I do it because I want the higher CLs and lower APRs that it will get me.  Give it some time, and I am sure you will be very happy that you did.  Then you can do your app spree, and you will likely get results you are happier with. 

I agree 100%. I waited 1 year after having my Cap1 card before I apped for anything. Then 3 months later for my next 3.  I would rather wait and get better apr's and higher limits....so now I am back in the garden!  It will pay off

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 17 of 19
Evel_Knievel
Established Member

Just checked my EXP FICO and it's 676. Not quite where I thought it would be.

Is that too low to continue on?

Message 18 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Evel_Knievel wrote:

Just checked my EXP FICO and it's 676. Not quite where I thought it would be.

Is that too low to continue on?

IMHO 

You need to be closer to 700 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.