Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need card recommendations please...

tag
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: Need card recommendations please...

@TheConductor wrote:

Well, you're going to be pretty set for rewards once you nail down the CSP and the BCE.

My recommendations would be:

- Consider applying for the Citi Forward for students. Their rewards categories target the student lifestyle more effectively than any other card I've seen.  Year-round rewards on your textbooks, music buying, and entertainment at 5 points to the dollar would be pretty sweet.  Obviously you could apply for a more prime card, but this one would be very complementary to your suite of other cards and your lifestyle.

- More likely, apply for the Barclay NFL card just to get the current $400 bonus on a $1000 spend in the first 90 days. In the end, that's probably more money than you're going to get in the remainder of your school career from using the student Citi Forward.  So if you can push $1000 through it in 3 months, go for it!  http://www.nflextrapoints.com/nfl_2012/?campaignId=1717&cellNumber=501

Thanks for the recommendation. I am an older student so I don't think I qualify for their student cards. But the Forward seem to have better rewards for eating out compared to the CSP...woah.

As far as the Barclay NFL card. $400, dang!! I'm not even a football fan but I'd rock it for $400. What is Barclays' PC policy? Could I PC to the ring or something later on? Also, aren't they very inquiry sensitive? I'm looking to apply for CSP-BCE-then whatever. Wouldn't they consider those 2 inquiries + my prior ones as too many?

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 11 of 20
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

If you travel frequent, Citi has the AA cards with up to 50,000 miles for spending $3,000 in 90 days. With the two browser trick you can appl for two if them and earn up to 100,000 AA miles. The annual fee is waived the first year. Are you apping today? If so let me know how it goes and good luck!

Full on Garden Mode (•‿•)
Message 12 of 20
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@nenuco wrote:

If you travel frequent, Citi has the AA cards with up to 50,000 miles for spending $3,000 in 90 days. With the two browser trick you can appl for two if them and earn up to 100,000 AA miles. The annual fee is waived the first year. Are you apping today? If so let me know how it goes and good luck!

I'm looking to apply in the next couple days. My statement 5th closes today. I opened my account April 11 2012. They have told me I can request a CLI on 10/05/12, and also have told me 10/11/12. So after they CLI me, I'll ask for an off cycle update. Once it reports I'll start applying.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 13 of 20
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Barclays PC policy is an absolute "no" if you have any ba...

Barclays PC policy is an absolute "no" if you have any balance on the card, and a "no" more often than a "yes" even if you have a zero balance.

It can be done, but I would not count on it. They refused to PC my Apple to the Rewards, even though BoA PCed me from Platinum Plus to their Cash Rewards with a balance.  Then again, BoA has turned me down for a secured card in the past. Make sense of that!

The long and short of it is, creditors can be weird.  And product changes are something Barclays is weird about.

Assuming you get the Amex BCE now as well, though, it's nothing to worry about.  When you decide to close the NFL card, open a second Amex card and voila! - through the magic of backdating your AAoA stays exactly the same.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 14 of 20
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclays PC policy is an absolute "no" if you have any ba...

@TheConductor wrote:

Barclays PC policy is an absolute "no" if you have any balance on the card, and a "no" more often than a "yes" even if you have a zero balance.

It can be done, but I would not count on it. They refused to PC my Apple to the Rewards, even though BoA PCed me from Platinum Plus to their Cash Rewards with a balance.  Then again, BoA has turned me down for a secured card in the past. Make sense of that!

The long and short of it is, creditors can be weird.  And product changes are something Barclays is weird about.

Assuming you get the Amex BCE now as well, though, it's nothing to worry about.  When you decide to close the NFL card, open a second Amex card and voila! - through the magic of backdating your AAoA stays exactly the same.

Thats what my understand is as well as far as PC.

Still looking for what to apply for as my 3rd card. I'd like to app as soon as possible because airfare is getting more expensive and I'd like that to be my first purchase.

Discover didn't give me a CLI today. They said I may be able to do it on 10/11/12 or 11/04/12

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 15 of 20
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

So since you now have a while to think about it, lets assume you get the BCE and CSP, and that you PC the Slate to Freedom. That would leave you with Freedom, CSP, BCE, Discover More, right? The gaps I see are:

No card has EMV

No card has a low (<10%) APR

No card offers lounge access

No card offers air benefits, such as priority boarding, free bags or companion tickets

No card offers hotel elite status

No charge card

No primary rental insurance

No large credit limits

No card earns more than 1point/dollar for non-category spending

So it would seem the best way to figure out whether an additional card is worth the drop in AAoA is to see if anything on that list is something you value or would use. If you then list which of those might be important, then a useful additional card will be easier to identify. So if you travel overseas frequently, I would think things like EMV, priority boarding and lounge access would be useful. If you sometimes carry a balance, a low APR card would be useful, etc.

Hope this helps.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 16 of 20
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

So since you now have a while to think about it, lets assume you get the BCE and CSP, and that you PC the Slate to Freedom. That would leave you with Freedom, CSP, BCE, Discover More, right? The gaps I see are:

No card has EMV

No card has a low (<10%) APR

No card offers lounge access

No card offers air benefits, such as priority boarding, free bags or companion tickets

No card offers hotel elite status

No charge card

No primary rental insurance

No large credit limits

No card earns more than 1point/dollar for non-category spending

So it would seem the best way to figure out whether an additional card is worth the drop in AAoA is to see if anything on that list is something you value or would use. If you then list which of those might be important, then a useful additional card will be easier to identify. So if you travel overseas frequently, I would think things like EMV, priority boarding and lounge access would be useful. If you sometimes carry a balance, a low APR card would be useful, etc.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I never travel to Europe. When I travel to Asia, I was never limited by not having a EMV chip. I do have a Capital One card which has 7% APR, but its getting canned once I get some new cards.

The features I'd like from that list are lower interest fee and more than 1 point on transactions. I think the 2 cards I've be interested in is Capital One VentureOne which has 1.25% miles, no forex fee and 11.9% potential APR.

Another one is the Diamond Preferred. It does have 0% for 18 months or more, but I don't really think i'd be using that offer. The card does look really sick though.

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 17 of 20
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Alright folks! My 6 months was up yesterday and I apped for the CSP and BCE. CSP was an instant approval for $5000, BCE gave me the 7-10 day message, i immediately checked the status online, and it said I was approved. I then had to call to get my starting CL. $5400!!

I'd like to app for one more. Any other recommendations? Maybe ones that pull EQ and TU?

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 18 of 20
TheConductor
Established Contributor

The Upromise card might be a good fit if you do a lot of online shopping.  

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 19 of 20
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

The Upromise card might be a good fit if you do a lot of online shopping.  

Ah yes, I need a card that will cover my online shopping. Any cards out there that will cover online shopping in general and not just certain stores?

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.