cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help choosing credit card for brother.

tag
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Need help choosing credit card for brother.

Hello everyone!
I've been helping my brother establish credit by adding him to 4 of my credit cards. (He doesn't have the cards) lol
Anyway since doing so his fico score is now 770 ex 765 trans 771 eq
I want to get a card in his own name. As I understand him being on my cards isn't enough. Which card should I apply for that he may qualify for?
Thanks in advance
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need help choosing credit card for brother.

I recently did this for my brother. 

At the 6 months mark, I applied for a Discover IT card for him and he was approved for a 500 SL. Will keep him as AU until the 1-year mark before cutting him completely loose. 

Check out the Discover pre-qual. 

Message 2 of 9
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Discover would be my first choice , if he doesn't have a way to apply for a Navy Fed CC.

Message 3 of 9
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Thanks so much! I'll try for the discover card. Wasn't sure if they would count him being an AU on my card as an account and deny him. But I'll check the prequal site as you both suggested!
Message 4 of 9
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Madyun1982 wrote:
Thanks so much! I'll try for the discover card. Wasn't sure if they would count him being an AU on my card as an account and deny him. But I'll check the prequal site as you both suggested!

+1, Discover and American Express seem to favor thin profiles more than other banks. NFCU is quite generous and doesn't seem to care if someone is an AU or not, they just review the score and history of whatever is on that report. If you're looking at various banks here (in my opinion) are the cards that are more lenient with new builders.

• Discover IT/Chrome
  • Navy Federal Cash Rewards
  • Capital One Quicksilver One
  • Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited
  • Bank of America Cash Rewards
  • Amex Cash Magnet or Blue Cash Everyday or Delta Sky Miles Gold
  • US Bank Cash+
  • Citi DoubleCash (expect low starting limits if new to Citi Bank)

Travel rewards cards in general seem to be a bit tighter on underwriting, but this is a YMMV case. Good luck!

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not sure what you mean by applying for him. Don't you mean you want him to apply for one, now that he has a good credit profile due to the help you gave him?

I would recommend he apply for the Discover It Cash Back. It offers 5% cash back in rotating categories on up to $1500 in purchases each quarter, unlimited 1% on everything else. There's a bonus at the end of the 1st year of owning the card, the cash back is matched. Whatever was made in cash the first year, Discover will reward the cardholder with the same amount, so the first year cash back rate is more like 10% in rotating categories and 2% on everything else.

US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature $5000 | Chase Freedom $1500 | JCPenney $1500 | Bank of America Cash Rewards $2500 | Discover It Cash Back $3500 | American Express Blue Cash Preferred $6000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited $1500

Message 6 of 9
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

Thank you so much for the break down. That helps a lot. I just want him to get a card of his own! Plus I want to see how he manage the card. If my credit lessons and what i've learned from you guys here on my fico. Has gone in over ear and out the other. Lol
Message 7 of 9
Madyun1982
Regular Contributor

@TIGEREYES
Yes he could apply himself, but this is something he's entrusting me to do. However moving forward as he learns more about how credit works etc. He'll do it himself. I'm gonna see him this weekend and we're gonna look into appn for the discover. Thanks for the input.. This site is the best! I told him to make an account here and get all this FREE knowledge! Lol
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit_is_crack wrote:

@Madyun1982 wrote:

+1, Discover and American Express seem to favor thin profiles more than other banks. NFCU is quite generous and doesn't seem to care if someone is an AU or not, they just review the score and history of whatever is on that report. If you're looking at various banks here (in my opinion) are the cards that are more lenient with new builders.

• Discover IT/Chrome
  • Navy Federal Cash Rewards
  • Capital One Quicksilver One
  • Chase Freedom or Freedom Unlimited
  • Bank of America Cash Rewards
  • Amex Cash Magnet or Blue Cash Everyday or Delta Sky Miles Gold
  • US Bank Cash+
  • Citi DoubleCash (expect low starting limits if new to Citi Bank)

Travel rewards cards in general seem to be a bit tighter on underwriting, but this is a YMMV case. Good luck!

+1

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.