cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help determining what hotel card suits us best...

tag
js0319
Established Contributor

Need help determining what hotel card suits us best...

DW and I will be taking two weeks during the Summer with our kids and going to California for a vacation. We are looking for a hotel card with a good current promotion for free stays, but we're wondering which offers we should take advantage of. We generally stay at La Quinta because of our corporate discount, book through the Chase UR site, and collect points for our stay and 3X points for booking through UR. All in all, we usually pay approximately $100/night after taxes and fees on average. We have been loyal to La Quinta for the past 3-4 years, but we're not interested in getting the FNB of Omaha La Quinta Visa. We generally book 10-15 hotel nights per year.

We saw the promo for AMEX SPG, which is currently offering 25k points, which can net you between 6-8 free nights after lower level properties after $5,000 spend in 6 months. I also like the flexibility of different reward redemption rates for different level properties. We also looked at the Marriott and Ritz-Carlton cards through Chase. Marriot seems ok for the fee with the night and the free card anniversary night, but Ritz-Carlton seems to be a little much for our taste. 

For rewards cards, she has CSP, Freedom, and AMEX BCE. I have AMEX PRG and EDP. We spend $2,500-$3,000/month on our credit cards and PIF on these cards. If we choose Marriott/Ritz, I will apply since I have no Chase cards. If we choose SPG, DW will apply since she only has BCE.

With all this being said and taking our spending/bookings per year into consideration, what card do you think might suit us best?

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
scorewatcher7
Valued Member

Re: Need help determining what hotel card suits us best...

About the Ritz card... I've been doing some research and I can't say I'm 100% certain but, here goes: Apparently, if you use the 140k offer link and are approved (www.theritzcarltoncreditcard.com/140koffer), you can use those points towards marriott, and 140k points goes a very long way with Marriott as opposed to RC. They tier it out for you online, so you can look around and do the math. I think with the 140k points, you literally get almost 5 nights free at a Marriott- depending on tier.  

That being said, there has been some speculation that the 140k offer is still around, but the points only convert to RC, and the most they'll give you is two free nights at RC properties up to tier 4. 

Hope this helped. 

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you can handle the annual fee, the Ritz card will get you the most mileage just due to the 140k point offer that is going on when used at Marriotts. If you go for the Ritz card you should both get one; this will allow you to combine your points (280k!) which can get some amazing vacation packages.

They Hyatt is also a great card if only for the fact that the two night voucher can be redeemed at any location giving a new $5k+ weekend at sign up if used smart.

You noted that you use UR points and these transfer 1:1 to the Marriott Ritz program (please note that this is one way, to Marriott and Ritz, not other way to UR) and the lounge access, $300 in flights (which can be used on gift cards for non Southwest or United airlines but that is a YMMV scenarios; I got back a flight from Frontier Airlines as they didn't question he charge, just saw an airline charge under the $300 and reimbursed).

So yeah you have many choices but I would take a look at the Ritz the most. Outside the 140k points however I would keep with your CSP for UR Redemption.
Message 3 of 16
js0319
Established Contributor

Don't know if this makes any difference, but my family and I would be staying in a category/level/tier 1 or 2 to 4 or 5 property when redeeming or purchasing nights in hotels stays.

I want a card that's worth using after the promo also. I just don't see the point in having the Ritz after the promo. I'm also not sure if it's worth staying at a Marriott and it costing 30k-50k points per night. I don't have any desire to stay specifically at the Ritz, and was interested in Ritz only for use at Marriott. Do you get 5X points when you stay and Marriott using the Ritz card?

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 4 of 16
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

Mammy different ways...I am using my barclay arrival 40k bonus with hotel.com effectively getting 7.2% or close to it on a purchase that will later be paid for with points
Message 5 of 16
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

With how much you stay at LaQuinta can I ask why no interest in the FNBO card? It's worked out well for me.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forget the starwood card. Most hotel in California are cat 3+
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got 7 free nights on the Marriott card. I free night on approval and 6 free nights after $1k spend (50k bonus). You also get one free night per year which takes care of the annual fee associated with the card. You also receive instant lifetime Silver Elite status which comes with pretty good benefits. 

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you apply for a CSP you get 45k UR for the bonus. That is 9 nights in a cat 1 hyatt if you have any near you. 

After the first year the card has a fee but most people consider it worth it

Message 9 of 16
USF813
Frequent Contributor

Chase IHG would be my pick. If you stay at HI Express properties you save money every day on breakfast!
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.