chunders

Need help on card decision

So I have the following cards

* Chase Sapphire Preferred $6000 balance, 2 year customer 10.15%

* Chase Freedom Rewards $0, 4 year customer 11%

* Discover $0 2 year customer, 13.99%

*Citi AT&T Platinum $2500, 10 year customer, 10.25%

*Citi Thank you $0, 10 year customer, 19.99%

I called CITI and basically they couldn't do anything as far as deals were concerned. I don't use them and I want to close the thank you card but because of the tenure I don't want to hurt my credit. The best they could do was change the AT&T to an Aimerican Airlines card and keep the same rate. That sounded better than AT%T, but no sign on bonuses.

The thing is I've been traveling a bit more, and while the Chase Sapphire is nice, I was looking at the sign up and free checked bags with cards like American Express Gold Rewards and Chase United Mileage.

I don't use any other card except the Chase Sapphire righ tnow because the others are worthless, but I wouldn't mind closing a card or 2 and getting one more from somehwere else.

What do you guys think I should do?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Need help on card decision

What is your total limit on the Chase Sapphire Preferred?

Discover usually has good BT Deals... call them and see if they can give you a good BT deal

I think you're a shoe-in for United Explorer by chase, the only red flag is your utilization.

Cards such as American Express Delta Skymiles or Blue Sky are also nice to have but you don't get to carry a balance on them because Amex hates balances.

The thing holding you back now is the balance on the CSP...  get that down to ideally 30% (or 9% for an even better score boost) of total limit and you'll be able to get any card.

Chase has a good sign up deal going with the SW Airlines Visa, but I'm not sure how you feel about SW. 

Do you do international travel??  If so, BOA Travel rewards comes with no FTF.  Also, PenFED CU has no FTFs on their credit cards.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 18
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Don't close the cards.  There isn't any annual fee so don't close them.   Buy a pack of gum once every few months to ensure they stay open.  The age and CL will only help your credit score.  If you close them they will still count into age for ten years but will eventually fall off.  Do you typically stay at the same hotel chain or fly the same airline?  Or do you need a more all around travel card?

Message 3 of 18
chunders

Thanks for the feedback> Chase Sapphire Pref at $13,500 limit.

I could pay off the card but I want to hang on to the cash for now.

What is wrong with my utilization for united explorer? I put about $1000-$2000 a month on CC

Southwest... ick haha.

Message 4 of 18
chunders

I have been flying united. But of course I fly others also,a nd hotels vary.

you have to spend to keep them open? I haven't used one card for 5 years haha

Message 5 of 18
distantarray
Established Contributor

Chase doesn't like to give approvals easy if you owe them money already. I would push them down before. Also the Freedom card is much better than the Sapphire for everyday purchases if you have a Chase checking. Also for category spending this is your points cow Smiley Tongue Even if you have to get creative, but in a few days it's 5.5 points per dollar at restaurants 5+10% bonus and since it looks like your flying United join mileage plus dining and you'll get upto 5.5 points + 5 miles per dining.

Found out you have to hit 12 dining to hit VIP to get to 5 points (3 points under 12) but all I did was go get 12 slices of pizza on 12 transactions at a mileage dining restaurant lol

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 6 of 18
chunders

"Even if you have to get creative, but in a few days it's 5.5 points per dollar at restaurants 5+10% bonus and since it looks like your flying United join mileage plus dining and you'll get upto 5.5 points + 5 miles per dining."

Wait where did the 10% come from and what is dining bonus?

Message 7 of 18
distantarray
Established Contributor

@chunders wrote:

"Even if you have to get creative, but in a few days it's 5.5 points per dollar at restaurants 5+10% bonus and since it looks like your flying United join mileage plus dining and you'll get upto 5.5 points + 5 miles per dining."

Wait where did the 10% come from and what is dining bonus?

5 points for category spending for 2nd quarter of 2013 Apr - June  is 5 points for restaurant, movies, and lowes.

If you have Freedom + Chase checking = 10% bonus  so 1 point = 1.1 points and 5 points = 5.5 points

If you sign up for United mileage dining (free) and you dine at a mileage plus restaurant you get 3 United miles for dining at a mileage plus restaurant, and 5 after 12 visits in a year. So 12 slices of pizza on different transactions lmao.  

So 5 points for restaurants, lowes, movies in April through June + 10% bonus for having Freedom + Checking = 5.5 points  + mileage plus dining 3 to 5 points = maximum of 5.5 points + 5 United miles.  You also get 1,000 miles for signing up with mileage dining, (1,500 with mileage plus card) and writing a review. I just went to a local Denny's and knocked that off in a day.  $50 bill = 150 miles (3points) + 107 points (sapphire + annual bonus) + 1,000 bonus = 1,257 United miles if all transfered over for the first dining experience. =)

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 8 of 18
chunders

That's insane! haha so where to sign up for mileage dining?

I just called discover, they said 7.99% for a year. Psh no thanks.

That united chase car dis looking even better! Or amex gold for a year. hmm. 50k bonus sign up

Message 9 of 18
chunders

wait so are you using your freedom card or the sapphire for purchases?

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.