Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on which cards to apply for

tag
BKATTYTN

Re: Need help on which cards to apply for

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@BKATTYTN wrote:

I'm about to be at 20-25% utilization ($32,000 total limits).  My personal income is $100,000 (Household is $150,000).  My AAoA is 5.8 years.  I project my FICO scores will be between 690-710.  My current cards are BOA (x2), Cap One (x2), Wells Fargo and various store/gas cards.  I want to apply for a few new cards.  My list thus far is as follows:

Amex Delta Gold Skymiles

Chase Freedom

Discover More

Chase Marriott Rewards

Do I have a high likelihood of being approved for these cards?  If not, can you suggest some others that I would likely be approved for?  Also, in what order should I apply for these cards?  Is this too many to apply for at once?

I've done a lot of research.  I just want to enlist some advice from the pros on the forums.  Thanks in advance.

Based on the info you have provided, I'd say you were pretty good to go for any of the cards you've listed excluding the Marriott Rewards.  This is a Siggy Card and I don't know if you have experience with cards above 5K.  Your utility is a little high so if you have the ability , I'd get it to less then 20% but shouldn't be a problem if at 25% or less.  I'd sure like to know if you have any baddies.  Also what your true FICO is from MyFICO.  With your income, I'm thinking CLs in the 5K range or higher with Chase Freedom and Amex.  (The Freedom has lower approval criteria then Marriott Siggy even if approved for a Freedom Siggy). Why the Discover Card?  Almost the same rotating catagories as the Freedom card and they are much more conservative then Chase.  Also, if you are over the 700 FICO range, you might want to look into the BCE/BCP instead of the Delta unless you travel a lot.  $25 a week in Groceries pays for the BCP... Everything else is cake.   Just my recommendations with the info provided.  Of course, if you have recent baddies, all this goes out the window.  Let us know your FICO and payment history for a better recommendation and Good Luck! 

I have no baddies and 100% on time payments throughout my credit record.  I'm also just conservatively estimating what my scores will be once I get the utilization down.  I really don't know for sure.

I like the idea of the Marriott card because I spend about 2-4 nights per year in a Marriott.

My highest limit cards are 2 BOA cards with $5k limits and a Jared card with a $7.6k limit.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice thus far.  If you have any further suggestions, please share.

Message 11 of 16
Voodard
Contributor

I don't see anything wrong with your util rate.  I constantly have a 25-40% util rate because I have to wait to be reimbursed for work expenses.  I'd go with the Chase Freedom card because I'm a huge fan of their Ultimate Rewards Mall and transfer of points option with my Sapphire Preferred card.

I'm not sure if you even asked this or not, but my Freedom card has an $8k limit on it and it's a Platinum Visa, not a Signature.  I personally don't care because in my 19 years of credit card use I've never called the card's customer service line for "concierge services."

Good luck!

TU 743 as of 5/12
EQ 715 as of 10/13
EX Plus 780 as of 7/12

Cards in wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred ($25k) Chase Freedom (8k) NFCU Platinum ($24k) HHonors Reserve ($11k)
United MileagePlus Club ($17k)
Message 12 of 16
heathuhhhhwebbbb
New Contributor

@bluesnowman wrote:

B- Do you have any baddies, or any negatives on your reports? if I were you I'd try to find out what your true scores are right now, as well as do you have any utilization. Because from what I have seen Amex almost always pulls Experian, Chase Pulls Experian, Discover pulls Transunion or Equifax. I think based on your income you have a very good shot for all 4. Just make sure you have no baddies, no negative information, your scores are 700+, and I think you would be all set to go. Amex and Chase tend to like the fact that you have 23 cards reporting to see how you are managing. Good luck. And I have seen some people apply 5+ cards and get approved for all of them. but as always ymmv. For Chase apply at the same time. If I were you, I would apply for all four and see what happens. I happen to have the More card, and here in California, they pulled TU for me. But then again my score was 738 when they pulled it with no negatives or baddies, 6 months of history and 12,000 income as a student. Good luck!

Chase will pull whatever report you want.  I had all three frozen, called the backdoor number, and they pulled the one I had unfroze (which was TU).

09/2013: TU FICO 692, EQ FICO 698, EX PLUS 709. No apps until December 2014!
Freedom: $1500 Cap1 Plat: $2000 Cap1 Cash: $1500 Barclays: $4000 Walmart: $2700 GE Luxury: $4800 Jared: $1500 Davids Bridal: $1500
Message 13 of 16
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@BKATTYTN wrote:

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Amex Delta Gold Skymiles

Chase Freedom

Discover More

Chase Marriott Rewards

Do I have a high likelihood of being approved for these cards?  If not, can you suggest some others that I would likely be approved for?  Also, in what order should I apply for these cards?  Is this too many to apply for at once?

I've done a lot of research.  I just want to enlist some advice from th

Based on the info you have provided, I'd say you were pretty good to go for any of the cards you've listed excluding the Marriott Rewards.  This is a Siggy Card and I don't know if you have experience with cards above 5K.  Your utility is a little high so if you have the ability , I'd get it to less then 20% but shouldn't be a problem if at 25% or less.  I'd sure like to know if you have any baddies.  Also what your true FICO is from MyFICO.  With your income, I'm thinking CLs in the 5K range or higher with Chase Freedom and Amex.  (The Freedom has lower approval criteria then Marriott Siggy even if approved for a Freedom Siggy). Why the Discover Card?  Almost the same rotating catagories as the Freedom card and they are much more conservative then Chase.  Also, if you are over the 700 FICO range, you might want to look into the BCE/BCP instead of the Delta unless you travel a lot.  $25 a week in Groceries pays for the BCP... Everything else is cake.   Just my recommendations with the info provided.  Of course, if you have recent baddies, all this goes out the window.  Let us know your FICO and payment history for a better recommendation and Good Luck! 

I have no baddies and 100% on time payments throughout my credit record.  I'm also just conservatively estimating what my scores will be once I get the utilization down.  I really don't know for sure.

I like the idea of the Marriott card because I spend about 2-4 nights per year in a Marriott.

My highest limit cards are 2 BOA cards with $5k limits and a Jared card with a $7.6k limit.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice thus far.  If you have any further suggestions, please share.

Well- I think you are being very very conservative on your FICO scores with a 5+ year credit history and no baddies and relatively low utility..  Only way that your FICO could be so low is if you have a really high utility or some unknown baddies show up.  I'd get my real FICI score from here just to be sure.  Well worth the expense to know before you apply.  But with all stated and your utility at or below 25%, I think you are sure to be approved for all the cards you listed along with much higher limits then I predicted.  I bet you end up with 10K on Freedom and 8K on Delta.  At least 5K on Marriott but probably higher depending on which Chase card you app first.  Again- this is based on your stated info and guessing your FICO.  I'm thinking it's more like 750+.

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 14 of 16
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

Ahh Okay thank you heathuhhhhwebbbb. I don't have any of my 3 reports frozen, but I can request them to pull anyone? the only reason why I posted that in my previous post was because from what I had read on the forum , Chase usually pulled Experian in California. But thank you as well for the heads up. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 15 of 16
heathuhhhhwebbbb
New Contributor

@bluesnowman wrote:

Ahh Okay thank you heathuhhhhwebbbb. I don't have any of my 3 reports frozen, but I can request them to pull anyone? the only reason why I posted that in my previous post was because from what I had read on the forum , Chase usually pulled Experian in California. But thank you as well for the heads up. 

I believe so.  My accounts are all frozen due to identity theft.  I applied and was given the 7-10 day message. So when I called, she said, "You're reports are frozen", so I told her which one I unfroze and she used it.

Easy as pie. Smiley Happy

09/2013: TU FICO 692, EQ FICO 698, EX PLUS 709. No apps until December 2014!
Freedom: $1500 Cap1 Plat: $2000 Cap1 Cash: $1500 Barclays: $4000 Walmart: $2700 GE Luxury: $4800 Jared: $1500 Davids Bridal: $1500
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.