Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help selecting Citi cards.

tag
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Need help selecting Citi cards.

I currently have Citi ThankYou Premier ($125AF due in May '13)

Spoke to the backdoor rep and she said that I am eligible to convert before or on the day my AF hits.

I originally got the card to use for traveling with no forex fees. But traveling once a year isn't worth the AF to me and I am not using the card that much to earn the extra 1.2:1 point instead of 1:1 ratio.

My choice to PC to are (other suggestion welcomed):

Citi ThankYou Preferred (no AF version)

Citi Diamond Preferred (no AF and no reward?)

Citi Dividend (no AF cashback card)

Edit: Citi Forward / Citi Simplicity

Any suggestion or input is deeply appreciated.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

Re: Need help selecting Citi cards.

Well since I am gonna be the only one to suggest the Dividend, I'm going to say go with the Dividend. 

Simple and easy to understand Cash Back, is better than confusing points and point converation rates, IMO.

Message 2 of 12
Dustink
Valued Contributor

You could just downgrade to the TY Pref if you don't want the AF. No bonus spend categories though Smiley Sad

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 12
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@ccnewcc wrote:

Well since I am gonna be the only one to suggest the Dividend, I'm going to say go with the Dividend. 

Simple and easy to understand Cash Back, is better than confusing points and point converation rates, IMO.

I agreed regarding easy to understand cash back. I have 2 other cash back cards also. Maybe this one should be travel, maybe AAvantage... not sure.

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

Message 4 of 12
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

No other input?

Diamond? TY Preferred? or Dividend?

Message 5 of 12
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

You should limit your option to Dividend and Forward. Avoid Diamond and Simplicity because they offer no rewards and makes no sense to get Preferred when Forward beats it.

Dividend is a 5% cashback credit card like Discover More and Cahse Freedom. Dividend however uses annual limits vs quarter limits used by Discover and Chase. Which means I could earn $300 cashback on a single 5% category.

Forward uses TY reward system and offers 5X TY points on entertainment, restaurant, and Amazon.

Message 6 of 12
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

You should limit your option to Dividend and Forward. Avoid Diamond and Simplicity because they offer no rewards and makes no sense to get Preferred when Forward beats it.

Dividend is a 5% cashback credit card like Discover More and Cahse Freedom. Dividend however uses annual limits vs quarter limits used by Discover and Chase. Which means I could earn $300 cashback on a single 5% category.

Forward uses TY reward system and offers 5X TY points on entertainment, restaurant, and Amazon.

Ty, that narrowed down a lot.

Message 7 of 12
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:

@ccnewcc wrote:

I agreed regarding easy to understand cash back. I have 2 other cash back cards also. Maybe this one should be travel, maybe AAvantage... not sure.

Well not only did I suggest the Dividend for the CB (that's the main reason I'd get it tho), but also cuz you said you only travel once a year.  The dividend does have some travel benies like most cards but not all the benies a Travel card would get you.

I also agree with staying away from the Diamond and the Simplicity cuz they are no rewards cards.  I mean the Diamond has that conceirge service, but if you aren't gonna be using it that often then really is no point.

Message 8 of 12
gettnthere
Established Contributor

it really depends on what you plan on using the card most for?

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 12
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

I'm going to go with Citi Dividend Platinum Select. Smiley Surprised

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.