1C6124C4-6C71-4B8C-9311-85DB49D72D6D.png

Message 11 of 16
risingup2day
Regular Contributor

Re: Need opinions - NASA credit card

YOLO!!!

Do it! 😂🤣

J/K.... no, not really. 

Minor disclosure - I cannot be held liable for the statements made within this forum. This is a public forum to share experiences and knowledge. Your result will most definitely vary. 

Message 12 of 16
Metalcards
Regular Contributor

Update.

I pulled the trigger on the 30K prequalify and finished app. Instantly denied. I did another prequalify and was  prequalified for $15K for platinum rewards. I applied for that and was instantly denied. All were soft pulls.

I'm done with NASA unless I get a mailer (or until December 😳).

Message 13 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Metalcards wrote:

Update.

I pulled the trigger on the 30K prequalify and finished app. Instantly denied. I did another prequalify and was  prequalified for $15K for platinum rewards. I applied for that and was instantly denied. All were soft pulls.

I'm done with NASA unless I get a mailer (or until December 😳).

Sorry to hear about both denials. At least both attempts were SP!

Have you found out why your applications were denied yet?

Message 14 of 16
Metalcards
Regular Contributor

Same thing. Too many inquiries in the last 12 months ( I've have 5). uti is 5%. No lates, no derog. Doesn't that show on a soft pull? They ask if you want to transfer balances from other cards and they show what you owe other cards.

Why prequalify you, give you an amount of credit you would be getting, give you an apr, ask you in multiple emails to finish applying so you can reap the benefits of their card, then deny you when you do?

Message 15 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Metalcards wrote:

Same thing. Too many inquiries in the last 12 months ( I've have 5). uti is 5%. No lates, no derog. Doesn't that show on a soft pull? They ask if you want to transfer balances from other cards and they show what you owe other cards.

Why prequalify you, give you an amount of credit you would be getting, give you an apr, ask you in multiple emails to finish applying so you can reap the benefits of their card, then deny you when you do?

Because it's not technically an approval.  The portal is a pre-qualification tool that runs only preliminary data that may potentially (key word: potentially) extend you a pre-approved offer with a CL that would be a little more solid. That being said, NASA can be somewhat conservatve, especially these days (but their rules, not mine) and even pre-approved offers may not always be 100% solid in a variety of cases.  If you have too much available credit in their eyes, it will likely be a "no". Same if you have opened too many cards in the past 12 months or so.  Inquiries, same thing.  Pyramiding or escalating debts, ditto as well.

Don't get me wrong, they are a decent CU (IMO), but things have to be aligned just right for you to get an approval. So, it may take a few tries.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.