Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice on Navy and Costco Citi

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need some advice on Navy and Costco Citi

Been doing extensive credit repair recently. Finally getting on the right side.

FICO’s as of last week through Experian..

EX 671
EQ 648
TU 644

TU and EX no collections or delinquents
EQ have 2 collections that are in dispute and should be removed soon.

All 3 have 98% on time. I have 4, 30 day lates over the last 2 years spread out.

Inquires over the past 2 years, 9 TU, 5 EX, 4 EQ

Utilization is at 40% but I’ve already submitted payments 2 weeks ago to take me to 28%. On top of that I was just approved for a Discover IT last week for 6500! Just got the card! So excited!

My other cards are Cap one 2500, cap one 700, credit one 400, total 300, verve 625, indigo 300. Hate these junk cards and will be dropping them in the near future. Once that account posts in a few days , my utilization will drop to below 15%

I’ve been studying this forum like crazy and applied for NFCU account last week, still in review.

Based on my profile what is the best card to apply for first at NFCU? The green one or platinum?

I also keep seeing the Costco Citi Card pop up on my Credit Karma as a recommendation but I’m gun shy because they did the same with USAA and Chase preferred (very good) denied for both. Income is around 130k

Any advice from you all would be appreciated! Love all the knowledge and helpful people on this forum. Thanks!
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need some advice on Navy and Costco Citi

Regarding which Navy card, it depends on your needs.

The Navy Platinum card often offers a lower interest rate and sometimes offers zero interest for balance transfers.

If you do not need a balance transfer then the Navy Cash Rewards card would be better.

Message 2 of 13
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

WelcomeSmiley Happy

Why is your NFCU account still in review, is it a verfication issue?. 

Navy pulls TU for new credit card apps. I would definitely wait til your payments post to get your new utilization reporting.

If you have the 2 cap one cards and the new discover,  I would dump those subprime cwrds, they have served their purpose.

And as for CK recommendations,  do not go by the them at all.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Moving to main CC forum for better coverage
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied last week and had to upload documents which takes 3-5 business days to process..

I even went to the military archives facility in town to get my dad (who’s passed) dd214 for verification and they didn’t even ask for it!

I’m on pins and needles waiting for this account to activate so I can roll the dice. I just want one of their unsecured cards regardless of the limit so I can hit the garden with 2 new nice cards before we try to move later this year and get a new mortgage.
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the approval criteria same for both cards from what you’ve seen? I feel from my reading the big thread here the Cash Rewards seems to be the entry level unsecured starter card for most but not sure. I’m trying to be smart with my hard pulls
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would keep the Cap1 @ $2500 and Disco @ $6500 

Pay down the rest of the balance to under 8.9% not 0% because of the points you'll lose for 0 activity

Wait for Navy to approve your Share application

Wait for Disco to report

Apply for Navy CC

Then Kill these off immediately - cap one 700, credit one 400, total 300, verve 625, indigo 300. 

Then you need to find a gardening spade for 2 years and let thngs age like a fine wine or bourbon.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

All of their cards have the same UW criteria except the Flagship because the Flagship they have to be able to approve a minimum $5K SL for.

The Cash Rewards is good if you don’t already have a 1.5% card otherwise I would get the Platinum card. NFCU offers low or no APR BT offers seemingly after every holiday season and the APR of the Platinum on the low side is among the lowest around — even if you don’t get approved at the lowest, you can ask them once a year for an APR reduction so the Platinum card ends up always being a keeper card.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

As for the Costco card first make sure you have an active Costco membership before you apply. Even though there isn't an annual fee, your membership must remain active and good standing or they can and will close the account. I can say from my personal experience that costco tends lean more to 700 plus. Though I've known people to be approved with mid to low 600s.
Message 9 of 13
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I applied last week and had to upload documents which takes 3-5 business days to process..

I even went to the military archives facility in town to get my dad (who’s passed) dd214 for verification and they didn’t even ask for it!

I’m on pins and needles waiting for this account to activate so I can roll the dice. I just want one of their unsecured cards regardless of the limit so I can hit the garden with 2 new nice cards before we try to move later this year and get a new mortgage.

Before you proceed any further, given that you planning on getting a new mortgage later this calendar year I would suggest you educate yourself regarding best practices regarding impact and timelines regarding applications for unsecured credit and applications for mortgages.  You don't want to set yourself up for an unpleasant surprise.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.