Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some assistance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need some assistance

While i have been in the credit game for quite a while, i was completely blind to really using rewards and points for anything meaningful.  My original thought was to just earn miles, so naturally i listed to friends and didnt research myself and opened a delta AMEX....fast forward about 8 years, i am now really getting serious about actually using cards the rewards way.  After some very extensive research and reading, i am now ready to apply for my first true rewards card, but i am tossed between Cap one, Citi, and Chase.  Here are the cards i currently hold:

Delta Amex Reserve CL $25k....0 balance

Discover it cash back CL $8.7k...4,500 bal

Chase Freedom unlimited CL $4.5K.....0 balance

Searscard (citi) CL $6.6K....0 balance

Amazon store card CL $4K.....0 balance

Pier one store card CL $2K...0 balance

Military Star (retail card) CL $8.7K.....0 balance 

Having tht said, i am looking for a travel type of card that earns decent rewards for dining (which will be the primary use for this one), hotel stays etc, but that can earn points used for a wide range of rewards...(something like the sapphire line, the premier from citi, or the venture from C1).  I also want something in the visa signature (or infinite), or mastercard world, and i would like to get priority pass as an added perk.

My current fico 8 is 741,and since i am military, i have no concerns with an annual fee, as most companies will waive the fee for me beingmon active duty (except citi...thats only for accounts opened prior to service).  

So, having that said, what card should i go with? I believe in loyalty....now tht i have actually educated myself, but as you can see from above, the only company i dont have is a cap one....if i go with a citi, i can pool my thankyou points i already have....but i have read many post about citis reward system being sub par comparred to chase.

Also.....if POSSIBLE....id like my new card to be metal....i like the idea of it, and since i plan to specifically use this new card for dining, it will have a small wow factor Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need some assistance

I will also add, that my AAoA is 7.5yrs, with my oldest being 20.5 years old, and my newest is 1yr old.....if that makes a difference

Message 2 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Are there any airlines you often use other than Delta? Do you have a preferred loyalty program for hotel stays?

It may also be useful to know your home airport and/or one where you often make connections.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, currently, no for the airline.....since im stationed overseas, i dont fly on public airlines, but when i retire in a few years and settle in down in Florida, i will use them.  So i would like to be able to start now and save them up, then once my wife and i are settled in, we want to be able to fly over to england, and a few other locations that we have always dreamed about, but never had the time or opportunity.

As for hotel loyalty, i am a dimond member of HH, and while i have considered the Hilton Aspire card, i dont like not being able to transfer those points over to other things like i could with the Chase Ultimate rewards category.....plus it is a AMEX....and while i am not against another AMEX currently...AMEX is not widely accepted overseas, so getting to the initial spending may prove difficult for everyday use....

Message 4 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Welcome OP

Chase Sapphire Reserve may be an option if hefty $450 AF and $4K spend are no deal breakers. 50K point SUP bonus for $4K spend in 90 day, 3X points travel and dining worldwide, no foreign transaction fee, and annual $300 travel credit. I don’t know if card is metal or not.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been eyeing that one, but then I’ll read bout the venture nd then the citi premier thinking maybe they will open the prestige back up...that’s why I came here I can’t make my mind up.. is there any cons to the CSR vs the others? Or should I just pull the trigger on it?
Message 6 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

CSR is a thin piece of metal sandwiched between plastic layers. The rewards and protections are great, but if you want bling it might fall short.

No major cons when you use it for travel and dining, especially with no AF for you. Prestige has 4th night free, but that has been limited. Prestige may give you more points than CSR, and that may be preferable if you don't find URs more valuable.

I used to have Prestige but dropped it in favor of CSR. Notably, I use Chase travel partners and already had Freedom and F Unlimited.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doesnt necessarily HAVE to be a metal card, i just find those very cool and would like to add one to my line up.  Truthfully its the usefullness of the rewards that i find the most valuable.

I see you have the barclays arrival, how do you like their reward system, do you find it easy to use, and do they have trvel partners?

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

eityher CSR or citi prestige should work nicely for what you want. Note Prestige is not current available for app, note even though it earns 5 TYP, its 1ccp. CSR's UR worth 1.5 cpp when redeemed for travel.

CSR's AF is easily offset if you fly just once a year.

btw, if you don't fly delta a lot, drop or downgrade delta reserve, its a lot of AF.

Message 9 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

eityher CSR or citi prestige should work nicely for what you want. Note Prestige is not current available for app, note even though it earns 5 TYP, its 1ccp. CSR's UR worth 1.5 cpp when redeemed for travel.

CSR's AF is easily offset if you fly just once a year.

btw, if you don't fly delta a lot, drop or downgrade delta reserve, its a lot of AF.

OP is active duty. Many (not all) issuers go beyond minimum SCRA requirements and waive AFs for active duty.

Red, I have an Arrival (the no AF version, not Plus or Premier). I use it only rarely for its online PIN functionality. Given how common contactless payments are becoming, I perhaps don't really need it anymore.

In 2018, my Arrival got less than 0.1% of all my spend. Prestige got 9.6% (up until June), and CSR got 8.7% (June onwards).

I don't think Barclays waives AFs for active duty anymore. It's easy to use (in the sense the website is good and the rewards programs is statements credits against travel spend), but I think the transfer partners are only available on the $150 version, or possibly on the $95 version. Even then, the list of partners is pretty mediocre. My information may be out of date.

I'd go with CSR over anything Barclays. Perhaps CSP if you can't get a $10k approval with your current balance on Discover. I'm not sure what your odds are.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.