Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some help looking for a DMP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need some help looking for a DMP

Hi, I'm new here. I am looking to get started on a debt management program, but am still apprehensive about it. I bought a house almost 2 years ago, that required me to make a lot of repairs and renovations etc. I incurred a lot of debt in the process over $60k. Around the same time alot of my CCs started cutting my CL's to the point where they were all instantly nearly maxed out and others with no balances closed my account. Despite scores between 660 and 685, never any late payments, I couldn't get a home equity loan or refi, even a personal loan to stay afloat to help pay off the debts. I've read some of these forums and have seen people with worse credit say they have qualified for such things even with semi-decent interest rates which I don't understand. I also don't intend to sell anytime soon, but need to get this debt load off my shoulders. I have been able to hang in there, but this past week my US Bank Visa card decided to raise my interest rates to near the ceiling because their finance charge caused it to go over the limit by $24 and jumping my minimum payment by $200 a month. This completely will kill my budget as I'm currently pretty much pay check to paycheck. I will not have any money left for anything else and I will run out of money some months down the road. I called them and explained things and they could care less. I did everything I could to plead my case and arrange a payment plan, but all they could do was refer me to credit counseling. They set me up with Money Management International who is also recommended by my HR department at work. They would be able to actually get that payment back down to the normal minimum payment and I wouldn't have to put all my cards into the program like the local CCCS I also called. I looked at their proposal and it would make sense putting about $50k of this debt into the program. My concern is, what will it do to my credit scores? Will I be able to get a home equity or refi still if I enter it, and what about a new vehicle somewhere down the road.? Will the cards I keep jack up my rates if they find out or cancel me? Also their fee is about $40 a month and about $125 initially. I'm getting married later this summer and may need to get a small personal loan to pay for some things beyond what my parents are helping us with, will this kill that? Her credit is worse than mine, so she isn't an option. I want to know if there is some better DMP's out there with a better program fee wise that is legit, and not a debt settlement program. I am ready to enter this. I can't due this on my own anymore thanks to US bank, so I am prepared to end my dependency on credit. If anyone can offer some advice I'd really appreciate it. Thank you, I look forward to your response.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Need some help looking for a DMP

I'm with ClearPoint Financial.  It was not counted against me (FICO wise). My interest rates from BofA are 4% for cc and 13% for signature loan.  It's a five year plan.  I'm 18 months into it and 50% paid off.  A big load off my shoulders, for sure!

I'd go for it!  I was allowed to keep a couple of cc out.  The two  in the plan are showing the full cl.  I should note that the plan cost $35 to start up and I pay now $14 monthly in maintenance.  Just remember to check ALL of your statements to make certain everyone is paid ontime.  No problems with mine...they were recommended by BofA.  I throw extra onto the two whenever I can. 

Contact me through PM if you would like more information. 

Message Edited by fishbjc on 04-07-2008 06:25 PM
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually CCCS's will negotiate an interest rate. The United Way has a good one. It concerns me that you talk about being in over your head while talking about borrowing in the immediate future. You guys wouldn't be the first newly weds to have to plop down on a futon or cut wedding expenses. Time to stop borrowing.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can check to see if they're under www.nfcc.org they oversee legit DMP's.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a DMP? I've never heard of this before.
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a DMP? I've never heard of this before.

DMP = Debt Management Program
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your help. I definitely will look at Clearpoint and the NFCC ones and shop around. I'm definitely not going with CCCS, their budget actually has me in a hole because it would actually cost me more than I'm paying now. How is that supposed to help me? I just need a little breathing room.
Message 7 of 8
tunseeker1
Regular Contributor

I don't understand what expenses you could have for the wedding that your parents won't cover. I think my wedding cost $400 with a cake. If they want to give you a $30,000 wedding tell them you would rather have the cash!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.