Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some personalized advice please

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Need some personalized advice please

Before applying for another card, I'd try AZEO (all zero except one, mentioned above) to see if it gives you a meaningful score bump. If AZEO helps, I'd do it before any credit application. If it doesn't, I'd suggest simply staying below 28.9% utilization on any card that reports a balance.

When doing AZEO, leave a balance of at least $5 (but not much more) on your Discover card. Any other cards, including the authorized user cards, should report zero. When you do this, you want to make sure that your wife isn't hit with the "all cards at zero" penalty, i.e. she should report at least one balance on a card where you're not an AU.

Authorized user cards might help you with some credit applications while being ignored by others. The one cardinal rule for AUs to not be an AU on a card with baddies (late payments, etc.). Ideally, it's nice that the AU cards report an age of at least two years, but that's not critical.

Also consider the convenience of having the cards available for your use. Rather than scoring, the convenience of having access to the card is the reason most people add AUs.

Message 31 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

Before applying for another card, I'd try AZEO (all zero except one, mentioned above) to see if it gives you a meaningful score bump. If AZEO helps, I'd do it before any credit application. If it doesn't, I'd suggest simply staying below 28.9% utilization on any card that reports a balance.

When doing AZEO, leave a balance of at least $5 (but not much more) on your Discover card. Any other cards, including the authorized user cards, should report zero. When you do this, you want to make sure that your wife isn't hit with the "all cards at zero" penalty, i.e. she should report at least one balance on a card where you're not an AU.

Authorized user cards might help you with some credit applications while being ignored by others. The one cardinal rule for AUs to not be an AU on a card with baddies (late payments, etc.). Ideally, it's nice that the AU cards report an age of at least two years, but that's not critical.

Also consider the convenience of having the cards available for your use. Rather than scoring, the convenience of having access to the card is the reason most people add AUs.

Ok. I am AZEO.  Discover card reports in 2 days and I have $17.36 as a balance on the card.

Message 32 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Furthermore I have removed myself as AU from my wife's card with the highest limit.  Reason being in April 2018 there was 1 30 day late.

Message 33 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

And I have officially screwed myself!!!! Contacted a credit union asking them to goodwill some lates off of my account. They updated my records and previously were not reporting to TU the lates and now my TU score instantly dropped 53 points on my fico.  What an absolute joke.

Message 34 of 56
AllZero
Mega Contributor

^ Ouch. Sorry to read about the score penalty. You're on the right path, though. You paid off your debts which is a major accomplishment. Keep up the saturation technique. You've made contact and have their information. This is a little setback but we see you have determination. Hopefully, these lenders will reward you in kind.
Message 35 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I am SOOO confused at the moment. I got a my fico notification today that my score dropped 53 points.  I originally thought it was the credit union updating information?  But after more review it appears that was not the case.  I had 1 collection medical bill of $96 dollars that I just paid a couple of days ago. My fico states that the $96 collection turned into $3,434.  So I called Transunion and they didn't have info.  I then called the credit collection company and they said they had no record of this, so frustrated I paid My Fico for an updated $15 transunion pull and it doesn't show that info at all and now shows my score up at 619.  **bleep**!

Message 36 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK... so, don't pay $15 for an updated report.  Go to Experian and pay $1 for credit check total / premier monitoring trial and get all 3 reports and scores... cancel the trial and then repeat as needed.

Dispute the medical since it's not valid and it wil go away.

The CU may or may not update TU depending on their policies.

Message 37 of 56
AllZero
Mega Contributor

CARe: Need some personalized advice please

For your medical bill, was it a PFD Pay For Delete?

For future reference, if you have medical issues:

From our Mod gdale6:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, (or-rebilled), collections ultimately paid by insurance get removed per new rules that came from CRAs settlement with 22 state AGs. If not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3. ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help, this process cannot be discussed in any forum of myFico.

Also, to save yourself a few dollars, go to creditchecktotal.com for $1 (part of Experian). Cancel in 7 days or less to avoid reoccurring charge. 

Message 38 of 56
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok I am SOOO confused at the moment. I got a my fico notification today that my score dropped 53 points.  I originally thought it was the credit union updating information?  But after more review it appears that was not the case.  I had 1 collection medical bill of $96 dollars that I just paid a couple of days ago. My fico states that the $96 collection turned into $3,434.  So I called Transunion and they didn't have info.  I then called the credit collection company and they said they had no record of this, so frustrated I paid My Fico for an updated $15 transunion pull and it doesn't show that info at all and now shows my score up at 619.  **bleep**!

If you are getting your notification from myFICO.com, from what I've read, sometimes the alerts, messages aren't associated with the score change. You'll have to go line by line to see what has changed.

Message 39 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AllZero wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you are getting your notification from myFICO.com, from what I've read, sometimes the alerts, messages aren't associated with the score change. You'll have to go line by line to see what has changed.

It was bizarre...my daily notification said collections went from 1 to 3 and my balance of $96 went to $3,434. but when I pulled my report it jumped it back up to 619.  So yesterday it was 619, today notified me of 53 point decrease, then I paid the $15 for my report.  It updated and now says 619 again.  so weird!

Message 40 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.