Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to fill my Visa hole

tag
vic6string
Regular Contributor

Need to fill my Visa hole

I have a Quicksilver that is a Mastercard since it was a product change from a Platinum. The probem is I need a Visa to use at Costco (and I am not a fan of the Costco Visa). I know you can't have them change the MC to a Visa. I am not a travel points fan, so I'm not looking for a Venture (and I already have a Savor One, so I don't think Cap One will give me a 3rd card anyway). So I am trying to decide what to do here. 

Options:

1. Close the Quicksilver, wait a month or so, and reopen a new Quicksilver that should then be a Visa since I belive all new QS are Visa. Not sure if Cap One would like that, or if they will give me a new SUB, and I'd hate to close it and get declined on the new one. I don't really use that card much anyway, and eventually plan to get a 2% card like the paypal which would totally make my QS MC worthless, but if it were a Visa it would be my go-to for Costco. It's my oldest card (since I am 5 years post BK so starting over) but it is only a couple of years old.

2. Keep the QS MC open and just go get the WF cash wise Visa. It has a super easy to get $150 SUB, but not a fan of having to wait until you hit $25 to make redemtions. It would basically then become a 1.5% Costco card as it wouldn't see any use anywhere else. 

3. Any other suggestions I haven't thought of yet. Chase is not going to happen since I still have the BK showing on my report for 2 more years. US Bank just declined me for the Cash+ (which is what I really wanted). Other than the BK (Filed a little over 5 years ago), I have no derogs and a decent score (700ish Fico on all 3). 20k limit spread accros 4 cards (Cap one, Amex BCP, and Disco) with about 5% util.

Message 1 of 79
78 REPLIES 78
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need to fill my Visa hole

May I ask, why do you need a Visa to use at Costco?

Message 2 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you looked at any credit union cards? PenFed, NFCU, DCU, and Alliant all have VISA cards. 

Message 3 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Costco doesn't take anything else. 

Message 4 of 79
vic6string
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I shop at Costco weekly...not a ton, but enough (usually no less than $125 to $150 per week) and they only take Visa or Debit cards. I hate having one category with that much spend getting zero cash back since I get cash back on almost everything else I spend aside from rent.

Message 5 of 79
vic6string
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Have you looked at any credit union cards? PenFed, NFCU, DCU, and Alliant all have VISA cards. 

I have no ties to miltary at all, I'll have to check out the others. Unfortunately my local credit unions and the ones tied to my job are very sub-par when it comes to credit card offerings. 

Message 6 of 79
Mv350
Valued Contributor

You're not 100% going to get a visa QS. My fiance was approved for the visa version. Then shortly after I was given the MC version. It really depends on your profile. She has no negatives and a short history, roughly 2 years old. 

The Citi Costco keeps denying me because I have 2 negatives that will be going away at the end of the year, and I'll be applying for it. The rewards on gas alone is worth it. 4% on gas! I only fill up at Costco.

I use my WF student Visa, but it's only 1%. I don't have many options for quality Visa cards until those negatives go away. 

Message 7 of 79
cardme
Established Member

SDFCU's Premium Cash Back+ card is really nice for this reason.  Its a Visa Signature that earns 2% cash back on everything, has no annual fee, and has no foreign transaction fees.

The only downside I've heard about them is that they may be pretty conservative in their approvals.  To qualify for membership with them you can just become a member of the American Consumer Council if I recall (which can even be accomplished for free through their website, if you'd prefer).

Message 8 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally getting a CSP was a god send for my Costco trips and fuel runs so I understand your struggle. 

BB&T have their preapproval tool on their website for their Visa cards. I haven't seen much data recently but they were doing SPs on approvals if you were prequalified. Most people here with them tend to really like them. 

Message 9 of 79
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Costco doesn't take anything else. 

Thanks, Saeren. Good to know!

Message 10 of 79
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.