Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative affects of adding an AU?

tag
DVH1980
Contributor

Negative affects of adding an AU?

Im curious if there is a downside to adding my wife as an AU on my newly aquired Amex card. Her credit is pretty dismal but will be clean in 2 years. My main question is, when I request a CLI in the future, will having someone with less than stellar credit as an AU affect their decision to grant my CLI? Or worst case senario, woud AMex possibly consider closing my account because of the derogs on my AU's report?

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Negative affects of adding an AU?

@DVH1980 wrote:

Im curious if there is a downside to adding my wife as an AU on my newly aquired Amex card. Her credit is pretty dismal but will be clean in 2 years. My main question is, when I request a CLI in the future, will having someone with less than stellar credit as an AU affect their decision to grant my CLI? Or worst case senario, woud AMex possibly consider closing my account because of the derogs on my AU's report?

Your wife being an AU doesn't show up at all on your credit report.  It's irrelevant to the approval process assuming you're applying as an individual rather than for a joint account.

I don't think Amex particularly cares regarding AU's (AC's in their terminology): AC's are liable for at least some of the charges accrued as well, so it increases their odds of getting paid.  If they really don't like your wife's credit report, I think anecdotally they've refused to issue the AC, but I wouldn't sweat it as the primary cardholder.

        
Message 2 of 11
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

+1 

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 3 of 11
DVH1980
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I assumed as much but thought I would ask. I wasnt worried about my credit or eport as much as I was about how Amex might veiw it by adding someone with a slew of derogs on their report.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DVH1980 wrote:

My credit was horrible. Being an AU on my wifes cards actually shows up on my own CR and was a huge help in establishing my credit again. It hasnt affected her credit in any negative way we've been able to discern.

Message 5 of 11
Jlu
Established Contributor

The negative effects of adding an AU goes well beyond possible AA from creditors.

Read over in the Relationships and Money forums. Women are strange creatures. Would you give unlimited spending power to a strange creature? lol.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 6 of 11
djrez4
Established Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

The negative effects of adding an AU goes well beyond possible AA from creditors.

Read over in the Relationships and Money forums. Women are strange creatures. Would you give unlimited spending power to a strange creature? lol.

Ah - but Amex lets you put a hard limit on the AC's card.  So, regardless of how strange you think women are, you can be a real man and control her.  Smiley Tongue

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@djrez4 wrote:

@Jlu wrote:

Ah - but Amex lets you put a hard limit on the AC's card.  So, regardless of how strange you think women are, you can be a real man and control her.  Smiley Tongue

Quitely walks away..... Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 11
Jlu
Established Contributor

Ah I did not know about that feature! I just remember reading the thread where the wife filed for divorce and charged her lawyer fee to the husbands CC. LOL.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 9 of 11
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@DVH1980 wrote:

Thanks for the reply, I assumed as much but thought I would ask. I wasnt worried about my credit or eport as much as I was about how Amex might veiw it by adding someone with a slew of derogs on their report.

Amex is rather unique in that they check an AU's (aka AC) credit. Amex has, primarily, a spend centric, pif, customer base that is exceptionally large and long. Most other AU issuers just issue a new card with the same account number. When the card is used they have no idea whether it was the AU or primary. Amex OTOH, knows. I think it is a certainty that IF there is a correlation between the account risk and the credit profile/spending of AUs that it will be factored into their decisions. It's also a certainty that if Amex does this they will not disclose it if they can avoid it.  If AU's spending becomes a large part of the overall spend and if the AU's cr's deteriorate it's increasingly likely AMex will do a FR or place a hard limit if not cancel outright.

What is clear is that it doesn't impact the primary card holder's CRA credit files in any way.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.