I have navy federal credit union
Visa signature flagship rewards card...
Message 11 of 13
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Negative points balance account closure

@longtimelurker wrote:

The Chase UR agreement says, for example: "Points aren’t your property and have no cash value. " so it might be hard for an issuer to demand payment.

This basically. If banks could assign cash value to points they'd tax you just like with checking account bonuses for instance.

Message 12 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Negative points balance account closure

@simplynoir wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

The Chase UR agreement says, for example: "Points aren’t your property and have no cash value. " so it might be hard for an issuer to demand payment.

This basically. If banks could assign cash value to points they'd tax you just like with checking account bonuses for instance.

I'd imagine the point of that statement being  if issuer or consumer closes the card while unused points are still there, they are forfeited. 

I dont know which tools are at their disposal to recoup them in OPs case, but I am fairly certain they can, being CU and all.  

If they cant, it's probably heading towards " when will they let me back in" threads

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.