Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neiman Marcus only accepts AMEX?

tag
mross1080
Established Contributor

Neiman Marcus only accepts AMEX?

So went on a very long shopping trip with the DW yesterday and ended up in neiman marcus. The DW really wanted some sort of designer makeup and they had it. And by the way how can they charge such a ridiculous price for that stuff? The makeup girl I feel was looking down on me I guess because I didnt get dressed up to go to a mall. Buut when it came time to pay for this way to expensive makeup she told me only amex cash and store card. I have never been anywhere that only excepts amex? I have one so it was ok but what kind of tactic is this? Were so upscale we dont take visa? Seems silly to me.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Achase
Regular Contributor

Re: Neiman Marcus only accepts AMEX?

lmao.......yea thats their policy but it sucks...... especially if you are an Amex cardholder but your getting FR'd by them and dont even know it yet...SMH that backup visa aint gonna cut it 

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: 522
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 14
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Umm, I've shopped there plenty of times and do in fact accept Visa/MC.

Don't understand how she didn't know this.

eta: Maybe I'm thinking Nordstrom? hmm.. could of sworn it was NM though.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14

Message 3 of 14
clocktick
Valued Contributor

There's a nice restaurant around here, that we found out as we were about to pay our bill, that ONLY accepts Amex or cash.  I thought it was quite bizarre.  We were dining with another couple and not one of us had an Amex on us.  Thank goodness one of us took the initiative to go out in the cold to the nearest ATM. 

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

They only take AMEX as far as credit cards (special deal with AMEX) maybe they want  you to have the store card? My daughter told me this when they had a shoe sale so I had to put her on as an AU on my AMEX Plat! This week they only gave the big discount to store card holders, I think they have the idea it builds loyalty but in reality it excludes lots of occasional shoppers who want to buy and spend money!

Message 5 of 14
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Just checked Neiman Marcus online. They accept VISA/MC so why wouldn't the stores?

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14

Message 6 of 14
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

This is from a recent chat with Neiman Marcus:

My questions: What forms of payment do you accept with online orders:

Answer:

Neiman Marcus Online gladly accepts Neiman Marcus Credit Card, Bergdorf Goodman credit card, Neiman Marcus Gift Cards, Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Diner's Club, and Discover.

I don't know if they only accept Amex in the store. Unlikely to me! It would cost them a lot of business.

Message 7 of 14
mross1080
Established Contributor

I called another one a couple of hours ago just to see if the checkout girl was just being difficult. They only except Store card, amex, and cash in store nothing else. Not even visa debit cards. Online they accept all types of payment. Very wierd to me why take them online but not in store?

Message 8 of 14
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Costco does the same thing, I think they do accept debit visa/mc. I guess some retailers choose to accept only Amex.

Message 9 of 14
O-day
New Contributor

i know the one in new jersey only accepts amex, maybe its a location thing

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.