Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NerdWallet’s Top 10 Credit Cards of 2013

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NerdWallet’s Top 10 Credit Cards of 2013

Oh, hi and hello friendly myFICO Forum folks,

I just noticed that NerdWallet released their "Top 10 Credit Cards of 2013" list, and just thought to find out what people thought about the credit card products that made the list for this year. Not to say that I strive to attain all the credit card products that appear on everyone's top ten list.

Oh, who am I kidding! NerdWallet is just one of many benchmarks I use to gauge my credit card product profile! Although admittedly I can only claim to have the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, which serves as my wallet's marquee card. But just so you don't think I'm shallow, that is actually the only credit card product I can claim to actually have from that list.

What's interesting now is that, with so many options for credit card products, one really has to a lot of research to find out what best suit their needs (and wants). It's not very helpful for those of us in "gardening" mode to see that shiny green "Apply Now" button, but I gather from looking (and being tempted by) credit cards is that they continue to diversify and add different perks and benefits that appeal to me, the credit consuming (and borrowing) consumer.

Long time forum reader, first time poster, full time credit card geek thanks to this forum. But the one thing I did want to ask everyone is, which reward offering typically provides the most value? Travel, cash rebates, some are for cars or specific products (i.e. Apple), merchants? Specifically, how can one gauge the value they are getting from the rewards associated with a given credit card?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: NerdWallet’s Top 10 Credit Cards of 2013

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, hi and hello friendly myFICO Forum folks,

I just noticed that NerdWallet released their "Top 10 Credit Cards of 2013" list, and just thought to find out what people thought about the credit card products that made the list for this year. Not to say that I strive to attain all the credit card products that appear on everyone's top ten list.

Oh, who am I kidding! NerdWallet is just one of many benchmarks I use to gauge my credit card product profile! Although admittedly I can only claim to have the Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, which serves as my wallet's marquee card. But just so you don't think I'm shallow, that is actually the only credit card product I can claim to actually have from that list.

What's interesting now is that, with so many options for credit card products, one really has to a lot of research to find out what best suit their needs (and wants). It's not very helpful for those of us in "gardening" mode to see that shiny green "Apply Now" button, but I gather from looking (and being tempted by) credit cards is that they continue to diversify and add different perks and benefits that appeal to me, the credit consuming (and borrowing) consumer.

Long time forum reader, first time poster, full time credit card geek thanks to this forum. But the one thing I did want to ask everyone is, which reward offering typically provides the most value? Travel, cash rebates, some are for cars or specific products (i.e. Apple), merchants? Specifically, how can one gauge the value they are getting from the rewards associated with a given credit card?

Welcome to the forums!!

Link for the article?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 25
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Edited to remove link.

Sorry to inform you this link has been removed.  It goes to a frontpage with CC offers that are advertised and receives compensation from clicking those links.

Shogun, myFICO moderator

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 3 of 25
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Don't bother. The list is BS, IMO.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 25
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Wonder how much money NerdWallet received to put those cards and the green "Apply Now" button on their website...

Really?  this is not an impartial artcle... its pretty obvious

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome! This list is not bad but I don't think you can say these are the best cards out there. Everyone's needs are different so the best card for you might not be the best card for me and vice versa. Same can be said about the value of different rewards. I'm not a big spender so I tend to gravitate towards cash back cards for the highest return. Someone who travels a lot will find a lot more value in MR points or hotel/airline cards than I do. Those who carry a balance may choose cards with special financing or offers that will save them the most interest. Then there are card benefits and other things like customer service, backdating, free FICO, generous CLs, etc. which are harder to value but may be important to some people.

Message 6 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Im surprised Cap1 Venture is listed as best card overall......Smiley Indifferent

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 25
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Notice 4 Capital One cards, and 2 Discover cards. It is very clearly a sponsored article.

+1 Webhopper.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 8 of 25
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
Notice 4 Capital One cards, and 2 Discover cards. It is very clearly a sponsored article.

+1 Webhopper.

I'd agree with Discover being on the list tho.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 25
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@SnackTrader wrote:
Don't bother. The list is BS, IMO.

+1

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.