Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nervous about my card choices

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Nervous about my card choices

Recently I decided that I wanted a few cards to reflect how responsible I have been with my credit and my credit worthiness. Ten years ago I didn't have this option. 

I bought a AMEX prepaid card (just for good measure) and 6 months, later applied for and was approved for AMEX PRG and Delta Gold SkyMiles (5k). In my mini spree I also apped for the BoA 1-2-3 card, which I just PCed to the Signature Visa (5k). In my sock drawer, I keep an old BBRZ MC with an $800 limit and probably no growth in sight with that one given what I've read about Cap One.

I feel like I went for what I thought would be valuable, but now I'm thinking that it may not be enough. Maybe I shouldn't have PCed to the Signature - which I have been dogged about getting (you can read another post of mine to hear about that fiasco) - so that I have more CLs reporting. Maybe I need a Chase or Citi card. While I have no clue which to app for - if I do app for one - it seems as though my app spree window has closed seeing that I apped for the other cards mentioned about a month ago. 

No collections or BKs. 1 negative from a student loan on EX and EQ from 2007. $85k salary. <10% utility reporting on one card. Scores in the 710 range straight across the board.

What is the best actions for me to take? 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Re: Nervous about my card choices

I don't think that you've closed any app window. I do believe that not having the BOA reporting a CL will hurt your utilization if you need to make any big purchase.  I would do a little research with regards to who pulls what CRA in you area then app either Chase or Citi depending on the CRA that has the fewest inqs.  Citi is very inq sensitive and Chase not so much if your score is good.  I think your scores are in line for another approval with Chase being my first choice.  (maybe the Freedom card).

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 2 of 24
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Is that a hint to shoot for one of the Chase cards, keep the other cards that I have and garden for a while thereafter? 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 3 of 24
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I guess I am confused.

1. Are you saying the rewards you have on these cards are not useful anymore so you would like to replace now that you are in prime land and probably can get approved.

2. Looking to add more?

3. I have not seen your other post but Signature is a toss up for me... i don't really like it unless they report CL with it... USBank does, Nordstrom does, not sure about others.

Message 4 of 24
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Getting a CC that will report a CL will help -- especially if you don't pay before the stmt cuts. Why don't you research different rewards cards and see which one has the best rewards for you. You would probably be approved for Citi or Chase, and Chase Freedom is more lenient. I'd make the decision by the one with the rewards that best suit you.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 24
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:

Is that a hint to shoot for one of the Chase cards, keep the other cards that I have and garden for a while thereafter? 

That's what I'd do exactly.  Smiley Happy.   Your scores are good enough for the Freedom VISA with the $100 cash back but I'd check to see which CRA they pull in your region/state.  If they pull the CRA with the most inqs, you might get a lower limit or higher APR but I think you will be approved.  (especially after approval recon the limit). Citi isn't so easy to recon and you'd definitely end up with a higher APR.  Either way- I'd go straight to the garden afterward for at least a year.

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 6 of 24
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Another option is Barclay's. Their Priceline Visa gives 2% on everything. Wish I had known about that card earlier! Plus, w/Barclay's you'll have an incentive to garden. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 24
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

It's not just about the rewards, it's about maximizing my scores and giving me access (for example, the signature card has great concierge services). I'm in Connecticut and I don't know who Chase pulls here, but getting another card that reports a CLCL may be in my best interest.

Now I should check to see which Chase card I should be apping for.
Message 8 of 24
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Should I wait until both AMEX and BoA reports my higher limits of 5k? Or just go for it?
Message 9 of 24
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@MontegoMack wrote:
Should I wait until both AMEX and BoA reports my higher limits of 5k? Or just go for it?

How long have you had each of your cards and what is the limit reporting on each right now?

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.