Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never saw this Amex credit line increase button and response before

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Never saw this Amex credit line increase button and response before

I was just logging in to make sure that a payment went through on my SPG card and below Balance & Credit Details there was a big blue Increase Your Credit Limit button.  I have never seen this before and it doesn't show on my other revolvers.  I clicked on it just to see what would happen (I just got a $4500 CLI last week), and got the following message:

Our records indicate a request for a line of credit increase has already been submitted, and is currently being processed or that the line of credit on your account was increased within the last 30 days.  Your account is not eligible for a new request at this time.  Please call...

Has anyone else seen this?  When I clicked, it went straight to that message without asking me to fill in the usual "Increase Line of Credit to this amount:" and "Total Annual Income:" boxes. The 30 day language above has me puzzled.  Does this mean that if you're targeted for a CLI with this button that it bypasses the 180 day rule?  I know the usual policy hasn't changed because I tried for the CLI a few days early before getting one last week, and earlier this week I got the letter for that request in the mail that stated the 180 day policy. Screencaps below. (The button reversed to blue text on white when I clicked back.)

Message 1 of 81
80 REPLIES 80
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Never saw this Amex credit line increase button and response before

Interesting. I made a payment this morning on my BCE and didn't notice anything like this so I just double checked right now and I don't see that at all on my account. And like you that language right there is very interesting; wondering if it's something new they introduced that they're still fixing the bugs/errors out for. Something to keep on eye on for sure.

Message 2 of 81
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I'm wondering if it's just a targeted offer since I've run around $25k through it since opening it a few months back, but the algorithm that shows that button hasn't caught on to the recent CLI yet?  I swear that button was not there yesterday.

Message 3 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fascinating! My SPG Business card has the same link, but my other revolver doesn't.

I sincerely doubt I should click this; I haven't even made a payment to this account yet!

Message 4 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I've got a little temporary information that is subject to change. I'll update if the button comes back!

My SPG is a legit business card for a construction project that is in its final phase. Fully capitalized, so I can treat it like a charge card and pay anytime I choose. I went ahead and paid the total balance (40% util) and the button went away immediately. Per AMEX CS as of a few weeks ago, this card isn't eligible for a CLI until the 23rd of August. Seems like they didn't program the complete logic and it is a simple tripwire set off by moderate utilization.

Message 5 of 81
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

climbfire, you have to take one for the team and click it!

Message 6 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was totally going to, right after I paid the balance. Rookie mistake!

Message 7 of 81
Anonymous
Not applicable

Love how Amex added "This wasn't here before" to draw your attention to it!
Message 8 of 81
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I'm wondering what triggers its appearance and disappearance then. I haven't requested a CLI on my card in 2 years not because I wouldn't be able to get one but because $18,000 is more than enough for me and my family's needs. Though have been thinking on seeing how far I can push AMEX for in a few months; I know I can get a CLI with my avg $2-3k spend a month. So you figure it'll at least have some sort of prompt for me to ask for one lol but who knows my guess it's still working out the kinks on something they want to add to their online accounts in the near future without having to navigate the menus to ask for one.

Message 9 of 81
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Love how Amex added "This wasn't here before" to draw your attention to it!

Pretty sure that was his own edit to point it out in case we missed it lol.

Message 10 of 81
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.