Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never thought I would make 5/24....

tag
Bizambish
Regular Contributor

Never thought I would make 5/24....

Never did I ever think that I would be under 5/24 again to expand my relationship with Chase. I was fortunate to get in with the CSP during the famous 2019 Thanksgiving spree, but was pretty sure that was it for me. 

Enter Covid-19 however, and we've not been able to travel or really do anything crazy so I've not been tempted to app at all. Here I am with my Palladium shovel and about 3 months away from being under 5/24!

Anybody else find their credit habits have changed a lot in the last year? 

And finally what are everyone's thoughts on the best chase card to app for? Thinking CFU or the new Freedom Flex which I'm less familiar with. 

Thanks all! 

Start: Low 500’s
Most Recent: 738-745
Over 180K CL Club
Focusing on Delta, Hilton, Amex MR, Alaska miles, Citi TYP, and Chase UR
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Never thought I would make 5/24....

Chase modified double dip is still a thing to go from 4/24 to 6/24 or double up on two cards from the same family

Could do double southwest personal cards with it for companion pass 

Ink or business cards if you want to stay under 5/24 

Inks or Freedoms are the go-to for cash back, but Freedom is a small bonus IMO.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't really give recommendations on the "best" Chase card for someone without knowing what they plan to use it for.

Message 3 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Can't really give recommendations on the "best" Chase card for someone without knowing what they plan to use it for.

Right.   Even specifically for CFF vs CFU it depends on intention and spend.

For example, if you don't intend to transfer points to partners using your CSP, the CFU doesn't make too much sense.  With the CSP, CFU earns 1.875c per $ on general spend, when used for travel through the Chase portal (or whatever Pay Yourself Back covers on CSP), worse than a standard 2% card.   Whereas the CFF earns 5 points/6.25c on certain categories.   Both cards share the same enhanced 3x categories, CFF has cell phone insurance as well.

But if you are transferring points, the extra 0.5 points on CFU may be better.

Message 4 of 17
Bizambish
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the responses! 

I am always interested in maximizing my chase UR points to consolidate under the sapphire program and use for travel and to transfer to external partners rather than cash back. I find the 1-2c/p cash back isn't as valuable. 
great point about the double dip flex/cfu; I wasn't sure if that was still flying and I know Chase is always a little finicky. 

Over 180K CL Club
Message 5 of 17
TSlop
Valued Contributor

@Bizambish wrote:

Thanks for the responses! 

I am always interested in maximizing my chase UR points to consolidate under the sapphire program and use for travel and to transfer to external partners rather than cash back. I find the 1-2c/p cash back isn't as valuable. 
great point about the double dip flex/cfu; I wasn't sure if that was still flying and I know Chase is always a little finicky. 

This is what I do; I consolidate all my points under my CSP. I've been using the Pay Yourself Back offer to get 25% more value out of my points, similar to using them for travel. I don't have a plethora of points, but without traveling, I don't have anything to spend them on, so I'm content with the 25% bonus. The extra 25% ends at the end of April, though.

I think the CFF is a good option, since it gets the 3% in dining like the CFU, but gets the 5% rotating categories. I'd personally take that over the extra 0.5% back on non-category spend. I will be under 5/24 in April, so I'll have to decide if I want that $200 SUB. I could definitely use a MC for the phone insurance since I don't currently have a MC.

Message 6 of 17
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

For example, if you don't intend to transfer points to partners using your CSP, the CFU doesn't make too much sense.  With the CSP, CFU earns 1.875c per $ on general spend, when used for travel through the Chase portal (or whatever Pay Yourself Back covers on CSP), worse than a standard 2% card.   Whereas the CFF earns 5 points/6.25c on certain categories.   Both cards share the same enhanced 3x categories, CFF has cell phone insurance as well.

Given how easy it is to PC with Chase, you could feasibly switch back and forth after maxing out the categories for the quarter. 

Aside from that, the SW pairing for CP is more valuable towards the end of the year so I would wait for that one. Maybe consider the Ink cards!

Edited to add: I will also be under 5/24 as of March, so am looking at a couple Chase business cards myself before stepping out of 5/24 again.

[2/2019]
Message 7 of 17
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@jdbkiang wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Given how easy it is to PC with Chase, you could feasibly switch back and forth after maxing out the categories for the quarter. 

Aside from that, the SW pairing for CP is more valuable towards the end of the year so I would wait for that one. Maybe consider the Ink cards!

Edited to add: I will also be under 5/24 as of March, so am looking at a couple Chase business cards myself before stepping out of 5/24 again.

I would caution that the constant switching of cards may draw attention that one doesn't particularly want.  Just because something is easy to do doesn't mean it should be exploited.  

Message 8 of 17
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

@jdbkiang wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I would caution that the constant switching of cards may draw attention that one doesn't particularly want.  Just because something is easy to do doesn't mean it should be exploited.  

I agree that this is not a long-term strategy. The Ink Unlimited will do the trick much better. 

[2/2019]
Message 9 of 17
Bizambish
Regular Contributor

Is Chase still pretty lenient about who can get a business card? Sole proprietor for example.
Thanks all

Over 180K CL Club
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.