Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX Centurion Airport Lounge

tag
JonStur
Established Contributor

New AMEX Centurion Airport Lounge

Just received an email from AMEX about their new Centurion Lounge. It's the first one and its at the McCarran airport in Las Vegas  concourse D. I will be out there shortly and I think I'll swing by just out of curiosity. What do you guys think...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
GuyInFlorida
Valued Member

Re: New AMEX Centurion Airport Lounge

I saw it too--- but I was surprised that you have to be a Centurion Cardholder (Black Card) to get free admission-- 1/2 the reason you sign up for a Platinum is "Access to over 600 airport lounges". 

I'm wondering what is so special about the place, they're going to need more than a few lounge chairs and complimentary beverages to justify a $50 per person entry fee. 

Message 2 of 18
JonStur
Established Contributor

You read my mind...but I'll toss them 100 to see what's doing...best case it'll be a pleasant surprise, worst case it's a dud and they won't get my patronage in the future...hey, there worse things to drop 100 on in Vegas...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 3 of 18
bribro
Valued Contributor

I stopped by the Centurion Lounge at LAS several months ago when it had just opened; I would probably never pay for an airport lounge on a one-off basis, but AmEx gave my four free passes.

It's a very nice lounge by domestic standards. Most notably, they serve surprisingly delicious, warm food (unlike most United Clubs). The bar is well-appointed and the layout inside was pleasant. They also allow you to rent iPads, although most people would use their own tech I imagine.

It's nice that they have a waterfall shower as well, but whoever designed it is a moron. The water doesn't properly drain and just pools on the floor, which resulted in me having a soaking wet suit. I thought it was my fault but the lounge attendants said that's just how it is. Thanks for the warning!
TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 4 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It looks interesting maybe next time I'm in Vegas - October - I'll check it out.
Message 5 of 18
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:
I stopped by the Centurion Lounge at LAS several months ago when it had just opened; I would probably never pay for an airport lounge on a one-off basis, but AmEx gave my four free passes.

It's a very nice lounge by domestic standards. Most notably, they serve surprisingly delicious, warm food (unlike most United Clubs). The bar is well-appointed and the layout inside was pleasant. They also allow you to rent iPads, although most people would use their own tech I imagine.

It's nice that they have a waterfall shower as well, but whoever designed it is a moron. The water doesn't properly drain and just pools on the floor, which resulted in me having a soaking wet suit. I thought it was my fault but the lounge attendants said that's just how it is. Thanks for the warning!

I'm definitely not a fan of waterfall showers either.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 6 of 18
crunching_numbers
Valued Contributor

@GuyInFlorida wrote:

I saw it too--- but I was surprised that you have to be a Centurion Cardholder (Black Card) to get free admission-- 1/2 the reason you sign up for a Platinum is "Access to over 600 airport lounges". 

I'm wondering what is so special about the place, they're going to need more than a few lounge chairs and complimentary beverages to justify a $50 per person entry fee. 

Wow. Come on AMEX. That is the ONE significant benefit to the platinum card and you are not letting your OWN cardmembers use your lounge???  Why not make an AMEX lounge with a smaller "VIP Centurion Room" with enhanced services in it? How many Black cardholders do they have to warrant a whole lounge?

Starting Score: 693 TU FICO, 679 EQ FICO
Current Score: FICO 8 = 844(9/15) EQ, 827 TU, 811 EX (7/15); mortgage FICO= 758 (9/15)EQ5, 797 TU4, 748 EX2 (7/15)
Goal Score: 750+, but shooting for the 800's
Hyatt Visa Sig ($23K), Amex BCP (24.8K), BofA Travel Rew Sig (22.5K), B&N World MC (22.3K), Amex RP Gold (NPSL w/ S&T), Cash+ Sig (20K),United Mil+ExpSig (16.3K), FNBO Visa (13.1K), Hilton Surpass (10K), Freedom Visa Sig (8.6K), Disc It (16.4K), Citi Dia Pref MC (3.7K),Sam's MC (10K), Wally (7.5K), JCP(5.3K), Costco (2K)
Message 7 of 18
bribro
Valued Contributor

@crunching_numbers wrote:

@GuyInFlorida wrote:

Wow. Come on AMEX. That is the ONE significant benefit to the platinum card and you are not letting your OWN cardmembers use your lounge???  Why not make an AMEX lounge with a smaller "VIP Centurion Room" with enhanced services in it? How many Black cardholders do they have to warrant a whole lounge?

Any AmEx cardmember can access the lounge; the non-Centurion holders just have to pay for it if they don't have a free pass. I think AmEx should offer a discount to Platinum cardmembers or maybe a couple of free passes every year, but there are way too many Platinum holders out there to let them all in for free IMO.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 8 of 18
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

@JonStur wrote:

I will be out there shortly and I think I'll swing by just out of curiosity. What do you guys think...

I wouldn't even want to take a chance - you just might run into this classy guy:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ARVIcak5ois/Sp1TznPX5SI/AAAAAAAADis/IYcvNFW1EwU/s400/amex+black+card.jpg

Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 18
lakerfan2011
Regular Contributor

is it better then the united lounge there

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.