Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX Hilton card SUB Offers

tag
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Re: New AMEX Hilton card SUB Offers

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

... back in late July 2020 I did a thorough examination of the various hotel branded credit cards for the major hotel chains (Best Western, Choice, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, Radisson, and Wyndham) that looked at their program point valuations, status provided by holding a card, points earned per stay (including the base points per stay, the credit card "bonus" points per stay, and the status earned through holding the credit card "bonus" points per stay), and points sign-up bonus value based on points valuations.  Some other factors, such as rewards rates for non-hotel spending and points expiration dates, were also included ...

Some good observations and an interesting read, @FormerCollegeDJ.  I haven't seriously looked at many of those cards. 

IMO, hotel cards are an area that aren't everyone's cup-of-tea and many of us who don't pay out-of-pocket often for rooms are best picking no more than one or two hotel chains to consolidate points and/or status.  Marriott is more-and-more becoming a favorite of mine, in part due to my business travel patterns.   You nailed it that the Chase World of Hyatt card is the best value in the 'low-AF' category.  Even though Hyatt is secondary to Marriott for me, I'm considering if my Hyatt card might be worth keeping for the long-term due to the solid overall value.  But my profile and spend are not one to support a lot of hotel cards, so I would prefer to simplify my travel charges and rewards on a card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, and just call it a day.  That basic Amex Hilton card you mentioned with the 80K SUB is now worth $400 on your 0.04 valuation instead of just $320 for 80K points, so it's an even better value, plus you can earn the $100 cash on top of it!   Both the high-AF Marriott and Hilton cards are outstanding value for the right profile.  Both offer a lot of value-added, credits, and benefits which more than offset the AFs if you can use them properly.  In my case, I've considered the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant for that very reason and it fits me better than Hilton.

I'm attracted to the Hilton cards but have doubt over whether they'd be long-term keepers for me.  However, I thought the enhanced SUB was alluring and worth posting about to benefit the community.   

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 11 of 12
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

Re: New AMEX Hilton card SUB Offers

@Aim_High wrote:

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

... back in late July 2020 I did a thorough examination of the various hotel branded credit cards for the major hotel chains (Best Western, Choice, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, Radisson, and Wyndham) that looked at their program point valuations, status provided by holding a card, points earned per stay (including the base points per stay, the credit card "bonus" points per stay, and the status earned through holding the credit card "bonus" points per stay), and points sign-up bonus value based on points valuations.  Some other factors, such as rewards rates for non-hotel spending and points expiration dates, were also included ...

Some good observations and an interesting read, @FormerCollegeDJ.  I haven't seriously looked at many of those cards. 

IMO, hotel cards are an area that aren't everyone's cup-of-tea and many of us who don't pay out-of-pocket often for rooms are best picking no more than one or two hotel chains to consolidate points and/or status.  Marriott is more-and-more becoming a favorite of mine, in part due to my business travel patterns.   You nailed it that the Chase World of Hyatt card is the best value in the 'low-AF' category.  Even though Hyatt is secondary to Marriott for me, I'm considering if my Hyatt card might be worth keeping for the long-term due to the solid overall value.  But my profile and spend are not one to support a lot of hotel cards, so I would prefer to simplify my travel charges and rewards on a card like the Chase Sapphire Reserve, and just call it a day.  That basic Amex Hilton card you mentioned with the 80K SUB is now worth $400 on your 0.04 valuation instead of just $320 for 80K points, so it's an even better value, plus you can earn the $100 cash on top of it!   Both the high-AF Marriott and Hilton cards are outstanding value for the right profile.  Both offer a lot of value-added, credits, and benefits which more than offset the AFs if you can use them properly.  In my case, I've considered the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant for that very reason and it fits me better than Hilton.

I'm attracted to the Hilton cards but have doubt over whether they'd be long-term keepers for me.  However, I thought the enhanced SUB was alluring and worth posting about to benefit the community.   

I hear what you are saying Aim High about people concentrating their hotel spend at a small number of chains.  For people who travel a lot for business, travel internationally, and/or like nicer hotels, getting into either Hilton or Marriott ecosystem probably makes the most sense because they have a larger array of nicer hotel brands and both, especially Marriott, have a stronger international presence.

Right now I'm at the point I'm still trying to accumulate stronger general credit cards, which right now means the Capital One SavorOne Mastercard and Wells Fargo Propel American Express for sure, probably either the US Bank Cash+ Visa or one the Elan Financial Services Max Cash Preferred, and probably either the Chase Sapphire Preferred if I choose to complete the Chase trifecta or my long-time credit union's 2% flat cash back card if I don't go for the Chase trifecta.  (The credit union card would then surplant my Chase Freedom Unlimited.)  But after I get those cards and most likely the Fanatics FanCash Rewards card*, I plan to start targeting hotel credit cards, particularly based on my past hotel usage patterns and their co-branded cards.  At this point, I think I'll eventually get the Wyndham Rewards Earner (Barclays) no annual fee card, probably the World of Hyatt (Chase) card ($95 annual fee), possibly the Choice Privileges (Barclays) card (no annual fee), and possibly the IHG Rewards Club Premier (Chase) card ($89 annual fee).  (I already have the Hilton Honors Amex no annual fee card.)  I like the idea of having some flexibility beyond getting 3% on a travel card or 5% on the CFU or CFF for CUR-booked travel.

*I buy a good amount of sports team apparel, and some of the stores where I often apparel, such as Modell's Sporting Goods, have recently gone out of business or moved away from sports team apparel, and I don't live in an area where the teams I follow are located, so I'll probably be buying apparel more frequently at Fanatics in the future, to my chagrin.

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.