Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX account - no hard pull

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New AMEX account - no hard pull

Hey folks, I thought I would share with you that I was approved for last week for an AMEX Hilton card and a week later still have not seen a hard inquiry on my CRs. I saw that there was a soft pull done on September 7th but nothing beyond that. I already have a PRG with them. Do you all think this is a new AMEX policy to only do soft pulls on new accounts for existing customers? Has anyone else had this experience?

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New AMEX account - no hard pull

Many data points recently that more-so than not recent approvals for exisiting card members are SP's.. Although some still get hit with a HP for whatever various reason.  I have had two soft pull approvals on busienss cards recently.  Not sure if it is a cost savings thing or just a favor for exisiting card members, but welcomed none-the-less..  The HP isn't so bad it is more so an AAoA that stings more IMO.

Message 2 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have always gotten a HP for every Amex card I get. I believe they will, at times, do SP's for existing card members for new cards, but I've mainly heard that occurring when people are declined. It may show up at a later date or you may be super lucky!

Message 3 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have always gotten a HP for every Amex card I get. I believe they will, at times, do SP's for existing card members for new cards, but I've mainly heard that occurring when people are declined. It may show up at a later date or you may be super lucky!

When was the last time that you applied and were approved and received the HP?  It did used to be the case that only a SP was done if you were declined but in the last 9-12 months something changed within Amex and now the vast majority of new card approvals for existing members result only in a SP.

Message 4 of 34
Gmood1
Super Contributor

As CC says, lately many folks have reported SPs. I received one as well two months ago on a new Anex card. No HP and the TL is hidden! A double win in my book!

Message 5 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When was the last time that you applied and were approved and received the HP?  It did used to be the case that only a SP was done if you were declined but in the last 9-12 months something changed within Amex and now the vast majority of new card approvals for existing members result only in a SP.

Oh man...probably 10 plus months ago I had app-ed for the Hilton? I think it was right around the time I heard they started doing SP's, but I received a HP.  

PS- Irish, did you watch the ND game? Were you as frustrated as I was? I miss the days of when I was a student/had season tickets/and they were good Smiley Sad

Edit to add: I was approved for the Hilton. If I needed a new Amex card I would test the waters to see if I would get a SP...

Message 6 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely an interesting new development! I wondered why the application process was so easy. Literally all the asked me for was my updated income. I wish they had given me a better starting limit though. The approval was based on my EX score from 35 points ago :-/.

Message 7 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh man...probably 10 plus months ago I had app-ed for the Hilton? I think it was right around the time I heard they started doing SP's, but I received a HP.  

PS- Irish, did you watch the ND game? Were you as frustrated as I was? I miss the days of when I was a student/had season tickets/and they were good Smiley Sad

Edit to add: I was approved for the Hilton. If I needed a new Amex card I would test the waters to see if I would get a SP...

Yes, unfortunately I watched and was depressed afterwards as is the norm these days,  I too long for the football program that existed when I was there.  A lot has changed at ND and imho, most of it is not good.

Message 8 of 34
shoegal
Valued Contributor

My first Amex the Everyday was a hard pull. I got it at the end of June 2017. My BCE a month later (July) was an SP approval. The PRG was a targeted offer from Amex (posted on the "offers" section with a specific bonus) and was also an SP approval in August. At the end of August, I got an offer for the Platinum card and I didn't like how low it was so I researched and got the good bonus to show on incognito and was approved with an SP too.

Message 9 of 34
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

Interesting!

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.