Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AMEX credit card, but total credit limit with AMEX unchanged

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: New AMEX credit card, but total credit limit with AMEX unchanged

@frugal47374 wrote:

Thanks to all providing comments.  I think this is the first time I've run into this (with other companies I've applied for new cards, had relatively unused other cards, and never had reallocations) because this was the first time a company was unwilling to advance additional credit.

It looks like you have hit the maximum credit that Amex is willing to extend you given your income, the length of your credit history, the number of cards already in your wallet, your overall credit limit, your utilization, and your FICO score.  I would recommend not applying for new credit for the next year, and make a point of using and paying off the cards you have.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 11 of 16
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

I’d also caution against closing the card before a year is up, as some have warned that Amex considers this a potential sign of bonus chasing.

[2/2019]
Message 12 of 16
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

I got a BCE a few years ago. Credit limit was 10k. I called to PC Amex Blue to BCE. No, of course. I'm totally convinced that Amex likes to learn what would please a customer then refuse. Received postal mail before the BCE arrived informing me that Blue credit limit was reduced. Overall, I think the increase in total credit was about $3600. Letter stated there would be no reconsideration of that decision. I phoned the number on the letter and told them to keep the BCE. I don't want it. The rep restored the credit limit on Blue and BCE rmained at 10k. 

It gives me great pleasure to use Discover for groceries this quarter. The extra 2% doesn't make me happy. Putting Amex on ice for three months thrills me!  I hope Freedom has a grocery quarter. More SD time for BCE Smiley Happy

I phoned my other cc issuers at the same time to PC from whatever rewards card to cash back. No problem. Each one was pleased to make the change. Amex is just a PITA.

BTW Amex reniged on the SUB for BCE. I have never received a SUB from Amex for anything. Back to PITA diagnosis. 

Message 13 of 16
USF
Established Member

This happened just the other day to me as well. Had a BCE since 2012 that had a $1k SL. Eventually grew to $19.8k. I applied for the SPG since they were no longer taking apps next month. EX Fico according to Amex was 800 so I knew it would be approved no problem. Received the card yesterday and the SL was $13.1k and thought to myself ok that’s pretty generous for a SL.

Logged in and noticed they reduced my BCE down to $11.9k...which I’ve heard rumors in the past anything above $25k has a higher chance to trigger FR. Who knows if this is true but I’m honestly not even mad because like OP, I barely used the BCE so I really didn’t “need” such a high limit. I actually called Amex right after and told them to reallocate $20k to the SPG and leave BCE at $5k. That is probably the maximum credit Amex is willing extend which I’m perfectly ok with, given my credit and income.

I think anyone offended by Amex not reaching out beforehand should really ask themself, did they really use the card that was reduced, to its full potential, before the CLD? And if so, were you getting anywhere close to the limit? I felt they were perfectly within reason to reallocate my existing limit to this new card. If I really want to push my spending power, I will use my Gold card. I can always request an increase on the BCE anytime but other than having a high limit just to have it, no point for me really imho.

Message 14 of 16
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Yeah I guess it's annoying that they'll reallocate credit from an existing account without telling you.  But I would think in most cases that would be preferrable to them just denying the new account.  You can always just reallocate limits again to where you want them.

Message 15 of 16
fritscher
Regular Contributor

just happened to me todaySmiley Sad had 20000 and got cash magnet for bal transfer and approved for 6000 so my total credit limit is still 20000 as they reduced the one to 14000Smiley Sad

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.