Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Accounts and 5/24

tag
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

New Accounts and 5/24

Has anyone experienced this particular scenario. 

From October 2020 until August 2021, I did a two of app sprees which resulted in 9 new accounts. January 2022, I decided that I didn't really need all these accounts and close five of them (they were store cards)

I received the email about the Marriot Bonvay card with the 5 free nights that I am thinking of applying for because I don't have a travel card. The card is issued by Chase. 

Would I still fall in the 5/24 even though 5 of the accounts are closed?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: New Accounts and 5/24

5/24 applies to ANY new accounts, whether you kept them or closed them immediately. Unfortunately your nine opened accounts still factor in even after closing them. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 6
shadanat
Frequent Contributor

Ok thank you

Message 3 of 6
PNWRambler
Frequent Contributor

I believe you'll still fall into the 5/24 rule.  This rule is to prevent people from taking advantage of too many SUB's and to weed out anyone who's aggressively seeking credit.  Closed accounts still count for inquiries and still report on your profile for many years, I am pretty sure they'll treat them the same as open accounts when it comes to the 5/24 rule.  

Message 4 of 6
bigseegar
Established Contributor

@shadanat wrote:

From October 2020 until August 2021, I did a two of app sprees which resulted in 9 new accounts. January 2022, I decided that I didn't really need all these accounts and close five of them (they were store cards)

I received the email about the Marriot Bonvay card with the 5 free nights that I am thinking of applying for because I don't have a travel card. The card is issued by Chase. 

Absolutely you will

Message 5 of 6
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@shadanat wrote:

Yes, closing accounts doesn't take them out of 5/24.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.