Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New AmEx member...pretty disappointed so far

tag
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: New AmEx member...pretty disappointed so far

Really is all that matters is the date on your credit reportsSmiley Happy I got a replacement with the EMV chip and it has no member date on it!

Just my 2cents

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 11 of 20
JeffM
Contributor

@Wade64 wrote:

Really is all that matters is the date on your credit reportsSmiley Happy I got a replacement with the EMV chip and it has no member date on it!

Just my 2cents

Not too worried about the date Smiley Happy I did the calculations and my AAoA will only go up by 2 months so I'm not too concerned about it.

AmEx CSR was the person who offered to send me a replacement with the correct MSD in the first place.

Wells Fargo Cash Back - $2400 || Bank of America Cash Rewards - $5000 || Discover IT - $5000 || American Express BCE - $15000

FICO TU - 769
Message 12 of 20
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

In my experience Amex Ben great to me
So far, I have the BCE too. When ever I call them they were great solving my problems, maybe u just had a bad CSR

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 13 of 20
JeffM
Contributor

@JaeJae12 wrote:
In my experience Amex Ben great to me
So far, I have the BCE too. When ever I call them they were great solving my problems, maybe u just had a bad CSR

Maybe. But 2 CSRs in a row that didn't know what they were doing? That's disappointing Smiley Sad

This could be a statistical anamoly for all I know, which is why I'm not condemning the entire company Smiley Tongue I just needed to get this off my chest Smiley Happy

Wells Fargo Cash Back - $2400 || Bank of America Cash Rewards - $5000 || Discover IT - $5000 || American Express BCE - $15000

FICO TU - 769
Message 14 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

@JeffM wrote:

@enharu wrote:
Amex, like many other banks and companies, operate using a tiered customer service system. Since you have the BCE, which is a 0AF product that probably falls under one of the lower tiers, it's more likely that you will end up getting stuck with more "incompetent" CSRs.

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you get this resolved ASAP.

That makes sense I guess. But people in these forums generally speak of AmEx CS as the holy grail Smiley Tongue And I was really disappointed since I've consistently received good CS from all my other banks (also 0 AF cards).

Thanks for the empathy Smiley Happy A little bummed out my card is deactivated...I was just about to purchase textbooks for the new semester too *sigh*

Yes, Amex is definetely not the holy grail of CS. Granted they tend to be better than other options. I was approved for a BCP (an AF card) and was told it shipped out. Needless to say after waiting three weeks that card never arrived. I had to call up and they overnighted me a new card. By the way the original card never arrived even though they had the correct address. No idea where it went. I found Chase much better when it comes to getting my credit cards promptly. Amex CSR resolved my issue promptly in the end, but it really should have not gotten to that point to begin with. I would recommend keeping an open mind going forward as I do think there are a number of benefits with amex that will be appreciated in the long run. I'm still a new member with them, but I have noticed some special offers that have peaked my interest. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 15 of 20
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I had a not-so-great experience with Amex recently too.  Sorry about the runaround you received.  What does MSD stand for?

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 16 of 20
red259
Super Contributor

MSD is Member Since Date I believe. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 17 of 20
JeffM
Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@JeffM wrote:

@enharu wrote:
Amex, like many other banks and companies, operate using a tiered customer service system. Since you have the BCE, which is a 0AF product that probably falls under one of the lower tiers, it's more likely that you will end up getting stuck with more "incompetent" CSRs.

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully you get this resolved ASAP.

That makes sense I guess. But people in these forums generally speak of AmEx CS as the holy grail Smiley Tongue And I was really disappointed since I've consistently received good CS from all my other banks (also 0 AF cards).

Thanks for the empathy Smiley Happy A little bummed out my card is deactivated...I was just about to purchase textbooks for the new semester too *sigh*

Yes, Amex is definetely not the holy grail of CS. Granted they tend to be better than other options. I was approved for a BCP (an AF card) and was told it shipped out. Needless to say after waiting three weeks that card never arrived. I had to call up and they overnighted me a new card. By the way the original card never arrived even though they had the correct address. No idea where it went. I found Chase much better when it comes to getting my credit cards promptly. Amex CSR resolved my issue promptly in the end, but it really should have not gotten to that point to begin with. I would recommend keeping an open mind going forward as I do think there are a number of benefits with amex that will be appreciated in the long run. I'm still a new member with them, but I have noticed some special offers that have peaked my interest. 

Yikes! That's scary. Glad you got it resolved Smiley Happy Ya I'm gonna try not to get my emotions get mixed with finances. They gave me more than 3x my highest credit limit when I applied and I'm looking forward to developing a good relationship with them. I was just a little mad after the runaround and the cancellation

FICO TU - 769
Message 18 of 20
JeffM
Contributor

@clocktick wrote:

I had a not-so-great experience with Amex recently too.  Sorry about the runaround you received.  What does MSD stand for?

Like red259 mentioned, it's Member Since Date. It has to do with backdating. Say your first AmEx was in 2010, 2010 is your MSD. So if you apply for a card in Jan 2015, that card will be reported as Jan 2010 on your credit report. This improves you Average Age of Accounts and your FICO score.

FICO TU - 769
Message 19 of 20
Pat94108
Frequent Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Chase did the same to me when one of the cards they sent out got returned. Deactivating cards that were either lost during shipping or returned is normal fraud prevention practice. They can't guarantee no one opened your mail, realized its not theirs, potentially copying down card numbers, and then returned it.

You should ask them to expedite the new card to you and it should be there in 1-2 business days. From my experience, Amex cards arrive in the mail in 2 business days even for normal mail. I'm in Los Angeles, and the cards are sent out from Nebraska.

Getting good / bad customer service sometimes is dependent upon luck. Not every single lower tier customer service employee is a horrible employee, but the odds of getting one is higher. A higher tiered rep isn't going to be good all the time either, as evident from my experiences with Citi, and even chase on one occasion.

+1 I am in California too and just received my Blue SKy Preferred, two days after it was mailed out from Nebraska and 4 days after being approved. Pretty sweet. 

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.