Did you mean: 

New American Express Cash Magnet Card

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

New American Express Cash Magnet Card

CashMagnet.png

CashMagnet2.png

This is an curious new offering from American Express.

It seems to be a copy of the Capital One Quicksilver being that the rewards are cash-back and not MR points.  The sign-up bonus is generous, especially for those who are able to hit the secondary threshold to trigger the additional $150 cash back.

At one time this would have been a no-brainer for many, but due to Amex's recent policy updates regarding churning bonuses this might not be as popular as it otherwise might have been.

The facts are rather straight-forward, but DoC elaborates on the particulars here:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-launches-cash-magnet-card-300-sign-up-bonus-1-5-ever...

Message 1 of 376
375 REPLIES 375
j615
Regular Contributor

Re: New American Express Cash Magnet Card

Oh, I wish this was a 2% card instead. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 376
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@j615 wrote:
Oh, I wish this was a 2% card instead. Smiley Sad

I know... I'm actually giving it some thought, but I would have to shift some 3% spend to reach the threshold for the second bonus.  Smiley Sad

The math 'works' to do so, but afterwards I'd be left with (yet another) card for the SD, save for the occasional Amex Offer.

Decisions, decisions... 

Message 3 of 376
Anonymous
Not applicable

@j615

I agree 100%. 2% cash back should be the new minimum standard.

The best cash back card I've come across is the Visa Signature Card

from Alliant FCU. 3% cash back year 1, and 2.5% every year thereafter.

A quality card like this one is worth the $59 annual fee.

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/borrow//#filter=credit-cards

Message 4 of 376
Anonymous
Not applicable

It showed up on my "preapproved" screen this morning, along with the 2 top tier Delta SkyMiles cards, but I'm closing on a house in a month and have to sit tight for the moment.  Pretty card, whatever that's worth, sort of LOOKS like a Cap1 Venture.

Message 5 of 376
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I agree.  I won't even look at a card that earns less than 2% cash back.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 376
Anonymous
Not applicable

AMEX seems to be doing some new things.

I am going to renew my push for 3% and 2% dining category on the Blue Cash Preferred and Blue Cash Everyday, respectively. The CSR told me that if more people call in requesting this, it has a better chance of happening. I will go down fighting!!

The new "Cash magnet" card is worse than my Quicksilver, because it is not as widely accepted, plus it has horrible foreign transaction fees. I agree, they should have made it a 2% card.

Message 7 of 376
Blodreina
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@j615

I agree 100%. 2% cash back should be the new minimum standard.

The best cash back card I've come across is the Visa Signature Card

from Alliant FCU. 3% cash back year 1, and 2.5% every year thereafter.

A quality card like this one is worth the $59 annual fee.

http://www.alliantcreditunion.org/borrow//#filter=credit-cards

How do redemptions work on the Alliant visa signature?  I see that you can choose statement credit or checking deposit.  Is there a minimum?  Does the cashback appear at the end of the statement?  Or is there a delay, like Amex?

Message 8 of 376
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

AMEX seems to be doing some new things.

I am going to renew my push for 3% and 2% dining category on the Blue Cash Preferred and Blue Cash Everyday, respectively. The CSR told me that if more people call in requesting this, it has a better chance of happening. I will go down fighting!!

The new "Cash magnet" card is worse than my Quicksilver, because it is not as widely accepted, plus it has horrible foreign transaction fees. I agree, they should have made it a 2% card.

Ugh... I didn't notice the 2.7% foreign transaction fee.  Smiley Frustrated

To be fair, the target market for this card likely isn't travelers... they have their charge cards/MR earning cards for that demographic.

Message 9 of 376
sghosh5
Valued Contributor

I just product changed my BCP to this card mainly to remove the yearly fee plus i don't use AMEX much for my daily expenses. 

Shell FCU : 5K
Message 10 of 376
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.