cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New American Express credit card (confirmed Amex EveryDay Card)

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: New American Express credit card?

All the articles, referencing interviews with senior Amex execs, say these are both real MR cards.   Which doesn't mean they are!

Message 71 of 215
HiLine
Blogger

@longtimelurker wrote:

All the articles, referencing interviews with senior Amex execs, say these are both real MR cards.   Which doesn't mean they are!

For an obvious example, the official Amex Blue page has MR written all over the place but no mentioning of Express MR, while the card actually earns Express MR points...

https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue

Message 72 of 215
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

I would be stunned if AmEx ever offered a standalone no fee card which confers full MR Status.

*Edited*  Also, while SPG Points transfer with a 25% bonus, they must be in increments of 20K.  MRs may be transferred in 1,000 increments and post immediately allowing you to easily top off miles for a redemption.  Hence, the value in having both for diversification purposes.  People on here seem to universally eschew AmEx's MR, but when utilized properly with enough points, it's not a bad program for air travel.  

Message 73 of 215
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I would be stunned if AmEx ever offered a standalone no fee card which confers full MR Status.

Yep, need to wait, but, for example (View From the Wing):

I spoke with David Rabkin, American Express Senior Vice President of consumer lending, about the cards earlier in the week.

The first is a no fee, true Membership Rewards-earning card Amex Everyday.

The card has no annual fee and earns full Membership Rewards. One of the interesting things is that Membership Rewards itself used to come iwht an annual fee to earn and redeem points, and then some cards started bundling the program — but it was a premium program for premium cards.

Message 74 of 215
Open123
Super Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

This would make all the Charge cards obsolete, except for those who need the NPSL feature.

Message 75 of 215
HiLine
Blogger

@Open123 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

This would make all the Charge cards obsolete, except for those who need the NPSL feature.

At least the current Blue card will be irrelevant. MR is a costly program; the chances of it being offered for free are slim, IMO.

A possibility is that the new card will earn MR points, but transferring those points will require cardmembership of one of the current MR-earning cards. Similar situation with the Freedom and CSP cards that Chase offers.

Message 76 of 215
Open123
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

A possibility is that the new card will earn MR points, but transferring those points will require cardmembership of one of the current MR-earning cards. Similar situation with the Freedom and CSP cards that Chase offers.

Right, you can earn full MR Points, but can't be transferred, unless you're enrolled in the Program either with (1) a fee, or (2) a card enrolled in the Program.  After this, I can't see any purpose for having the Blue.

Message 77 of 215
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

Right, you can earn full MR Points, but can't be transferred, unless you're enrolled in the Program either with (1) a fee, or (2) a card enrolled in the Program.  After this, I can't see any purpose for having the Blue.

Isn't that what MRE basically is?  They become MR if you have another MR card.

Message 78 of 215
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Re: New American Express credit card (confirmed Amex EveryDay Card)

What improvements would it take in the minds of everyone here to make it competitive with the Amex platinum ???

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 79 of 215
Jayb5635
Established Contributor

Re: New American Express credit card (confirmed Amex EveryDay Card)

I apologize, I am referring to the Palladium card

In my wallet: Amex Platinum NPSL, Amex Everyday Preferred $15,000, Amex Starwood $10,000, Chase Freedom Visa Signature $10,000, Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature $15,000, Chase Ink Plus Visa Signature $5000 Barclaycard Arrival Plus MasterCard World Elite $10,000, Cap One Quicksilver MasterCard $6000, Citi Prestige World Elite MasterCard $10,000, Citi Forward Visa $6900, Citi Premier World Elite MasterCard $5,800, Discover IT $8500
Message 80 of 215
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.