cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Amex: CLI before 60 days success story?

tag
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

New Amex: CLI before 60 days success story?

I like to hear from other Amex folks...has anyone have success asking for a CLI on a new Amex revolving account?

I went through the automated system (call in) when I activated my Amex and requested a CLI.

It stated I would have to wait 60 days to request a CLI and 6 months for another CLI thereafter.

I have a Amex revolving account that was activated today.

Thanks in advance........

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
DI
Super Contributor

Re: New Amex: CLI before 60 days success story?

@tntexans72 wrote:

I like to hear from other Amex folks...has anyone have success asking for a CLI on a new Amex revolving account?

I went through the automated system (call in) when I activated my Amex and requested a CLI.

It stated I would have to wait 60 days to request a CLI and 6 months for another CLI thereafter.

I got my first CLI two months after opening the card.  But it was a small increase.  It's possible to get the CLI sooner, since technically one haven't requested one within 6 months.  After the first CLI, I now always have to wait every 6 months.

Message 2 of 12
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

I got my first CLI two months after opening the card.  But it was a small increase.  It's possible to get the CLI sooner, since technically one haven't requested one within 6 months.  After the first CLI, I now always have to wait every 6 months.

I don't think this is true, because I am pretty sure the rule is no CLI within first 60 days of account opening, or within 6 months of last CLI.  It says it somewhere on Amex's page.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 12
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@DI wrote:

@tntexans72 wrote:

"Small increase" as in how many %? 20%? 30%?

Was it an auto increased or a requested increased? Soft? Hard IQ?

Message 4 of 12
DI
Super Contributor

Again, I requested my cli within 60 days. Opened aug 09 and got the increase in october. I received a $500 increase which gave me a new $2500 limit. I'm now at $5000

edit: card was opened in 2009

Message 5 of 12
DI
Super Contributor

All my cli request was soft pull. They soft my report every month anyway to preapprove me for charge cards.
Message 6 of 12
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Are there any recent examples?

I got my Blue and 2 months later request/received a CLI.  I tried for a CLI 2 months after that on my Clear but it won't let me do that for 6 months because of my increase on the Blue.  The cards are apparently in the same "league."  I haven't read of any recent examples with less than 2 months.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 12
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

So the norm for CLI is after 60 days. I guess Amex policy stands.

For the ones who received the CLI after 60 days, the standard requested is 3 x the current credit limit?

Anyone got declined for asking 3 x the current credit limit?

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tntexans72 wrote:

So the norm for CLI is after 60 days. I guess Amex policy stands.

For the ones who received the CLI after 60 days, the standard requested is 3 x the current credit limit?

Anyone got declined for asking 3 x the current credit limit?

I had a $3600 CL on my Blue Cash and at 60 days I asked for a $6400 CLI to make my CL $10k.  I didn't get approved but I didn't get declined.  They countered with $5700 CL, so I accepted.

Message 9 of 12
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the successful increases after 60 days....I have mine "reminded" to alert me of an increase at the 61 days mark so I can call to request a CLI. I will be using the CC hard and PIF each month til than. Fingers crossed.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.