cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Amex Cobrand Credits

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Re: AMEX Delta Platinum- Monthly Dining Credit, Who Knew?!

That's a fair point, and I should have clarified. I don't know about how it's coded behind-the-scenes, but as far as I can see on the website and the app, the transaction is treated as a restaurant transaction since it was Uber Eats, and the CSR confirmed that as well.

Message 61 of 84
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@mkhan1093 wrote:

That's a fair point, and I should have clarified. I don't know about how it's coded behind-the-scenes, but as far as I can see on the website and the app, the transaction is treated as a restaurant transaction since it was Uber Eats, and the CSR confirmed that as well.

Is UberEats actually coding in the overall restaurant category now?  In my experience both Uber and UberEats would code as Transportation (I believe Taxis was the subcategory) and that is why I have always used CSR or USB AR to pay.  That was the same for CSR as well, although both restaurants and transportation were 3x so it didn't matter (and for AR it was 3x for using ApplePay no matter what).

If they have fixed that and UberEats actually got their own separate processing, it's likely that the subcategory is still not a qualifying subcategory under restaurants.  Like Visa and MasterCard, Amex's Merchant Classification Categories are highly segmented, so depending on the offer and the allowed MCCs, restaurants-dining places and restaurants-fast food may qualify but restaurants-drinking places and restaurants-catering may not.

Message 62 of 84
TheCreditCount
Established Member

Does anyone happen to know of recharging balances on coffee apps (Starbucks, Peet's, etc.) would trigger the credit.

Typically doing so codes as a restauraunt for me but I'm not sure if those would be fair game for this offer. 

Message 63 of 84
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@TheCreditCount wrote:

Does anyone happen to know of recharging balances on coffee apps (Starbucks, Peet's, etc.) would trigger the credit.

Typically doing so codes as a restauraunt for me but I'm not sure if those would be fair game for this offer. 

Most likely they will.  I did a $50 manual reload to my Dunkin' app to test it on one card (had a credit balance anyway); so far no credit but some of these new credits on various Amex cards have been taking a week or two to actually post.  If so, it'll be nice to be able to just remember to reload once a month on two of my cards instead of having to remember to carry them when buying food.

Message 64 of 84
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@mkhan1093 wrote:

Is UberEats actually coding in the overall restaurant category now?  In my experience both Uber and UberEats would code as Transportation (I believe Taxis was the subcategory) and that is why I have always used CSR or USB AR to pay.  That was the same for CSR as well, although both restaurants and transportation were 3x so it didn't matter (and for AR it was 3x for using ApplePay no matter what).

When I first got the Gold UberEats was coding as transportation but it's getting 4x now(and I'm stacking with the Rakuten app for an additional 4 MRs on the subtotal portion).

Message 65 of 84
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@CaptJOB is the Rakuten earning limited to (or being tested in) certain markets or something?  I've never seen Uber Eats in the app or the portal for Rakuten, and even searching for Uber I'm getting Grubhub, Postmates, and Seamless as search results for store matches, and then only gift cards for Uber and Uber Eats from various outlets under products - but definitely no Uber Eats as a store option.  I do get the extra 1x for Grubhub through Rakuten when I order through them.  I've previously seen DoorDash in there as well, but only a signup bonus for becoming a driver through the Rakuten portal and no earnings as a diner.  Smiley Frustrated 

Next time I order through UberEats I'll definitely give it a shot paying with Gold since it appears to be coding as restaurants now.  Thanks for that confirmation.

Message 66 of 84
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@CaptJOB is the Rakuten earning limited to (or being tested in) certain markets or something? 

That's something I hadn't even considered but I'm in San Francisco so it's likely the case. It was 4x forever, dropped to 1x, disappeared from the app, and is now back again at 4x.

Message 67 of 84
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@CaptJOB wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@CaptJOB is the Rakuten earning limited to (or being tested in) certain markets or something? 

That's something I hadn't even considered but I'm in San Francisco so it's likely the case. It was 4x forever, dropped to 1x, disappeared from the app, and is now back again at 4x.

That would make perfect sense.  They also launched Rakuten Takeout (an UberEats-like platform for takeout only, not to be confused with Rakuten Dining which is on the same Rewards Network back end as SkyMiles Dining, Fuel Rewards Dining, etc.) in San Mateo then expanded it throughout the Bay Area last year but didn't launch it nationwide.  I've been using Rakuten since the Amex MR option was launched about 2 years ago and have never seen UberEats on the platform.

Message 68 of 84
CaptJOB
Regular Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@CaptJOB wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

That would make perfect sense.  They also launched Rakuten Takeout 

Yeah I remember that. It was 20 MR points per dollar but there was only one restaurant on it that wasn't that appealing. Never really took off and I don't think it's still going here. Whenever I try and use the Grubhub offer(2x) through the app the points don't post so I don't even bother any more. The UberEats promo however has net me some serious MRs.

Message 69 of 84
fsalsa2
Regular Contributor

Re: New Amex Cobrand Credits

Thanks for the in-depth information. Still waiting for my statement credit.

NFCU Cash Rewards: $24,000
NFCU More Rewards: $24,000
NFCU Visa Signature Go Rewards: $29,600
Capital One Quicksilver: $500
Capital One Quicksilver One: $500
Military Star Card: $ 3,400
Venmo Credit Card: $5,400
USAA Platinum Visa: $4,000
American Express Delta Skymiles Reserve: $10,000
American Express Platinum
X1 Credit Card: $ 27,500
Chase Freedom Flex: $ 3,700
Message 70 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.