Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New App Time - What to App for my Wife and Me

tag
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

New App Time - What to App for my Wife and Me

Ok, So I've been going over a year now, and have had good success in getting some decent lines. My wife finally has a social, and we are looking to get her history started. She is an authorised user on all my lines, all accounts are reporting, and I've optimised util to around 10% so that she can apply. AMEX date is locked in so that she can get a year headstart by applying for her first AMEX in January.

Running her through the Prequals - I was staggered to see she has a Prequal for a CSP! (and I'm grumpy cause that only started showing for me a month or two ago). We hold an account with Chase and put a fair bit through it, and have held the Freedom since July last year. She also has a prequal for a Freedom, so was figuring it would probably be a safer starting point (also, as I'm going for the CSP at the end of this month - we would have to do alot to meet our signup bonuses, which we don't want). She has also been bombarded by Cap One (the Quicksilver 1.5% with no annual fee) but we don't want to support that business, and Discover (though I am holding out hope that she gets a 150$ signup soon).

Would be interested in peoples thoughts - with our relationship with Chase I think we won't have a problem with that front getting her foot in the door.

Now for myself - I'm six months post prior applications, but only one of those shows as a new account (no longer as of 26th Sept at 6 months age) - as I backdated the Amex EDP. Have 2 lines in excess of 6k, 18k total credit, AAoA 2yrs 5 months, Oldest 3yrs 7 months. Inqs are what is killing me at the moment - 3 pulls on experian in the past year, 7 in the past 2. (one is utilities). TU inqs is 3. Scores are in the 750+ range I believe.

I want to apply for the CSP, so what are peoples thoughts on that, secondly, I wanted another travel card to rack up some miles in the AA/US Air market, so was looking to get a second Barclay card (a US Airways MC I think). I think probably two new accounts is enough for this year, so welcome others input.

CK TU FAKO - 762, TU FICO - 781, EX Fako 734, EX FICO 764 - 3/29/2014
INQ: TU 4, EX 8, EQ 1 |
AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: New App Time - What to App for my Wife and Me

First off If she is pre-qualified for the CSP the Chase Pre-qualifieds are pretty solid so i would go for it as long as income can support it.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 2 of 11
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Hey tornadoguy! Long time, no see!

I agree with closing, if your wife has a preapproval through Chase she is solid with that card.

You also should be good to go with CSP; make sure to go through the prequal as well. I've app'd for Chase with a few inquiries before and have gotten through just fine. I haven't been up with all the airfare cards, but I'm sure a few other members who are well versed will be chiming in shortly.

Good luck to you and your wife!
Message 3 of 11
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion Closing.

Indeed a long time no see daybreak - been trying to stay away from the site to keep the fingers from getting itchy (and not spending too much time looking at cards). Fortunatley i've got a prequal for most of what chase has available, including the CSP (finally!). I want the US Air to grab the bonus before the card disappears next year, and the perks on the airline would outweigh the annual fee - it also only requires first purchase to pick up the 40k -so thats going for it (and will be merged to AA miles next year if I don't use before).

Only query there is in terms of financial info, does chase require her to have an appreciable income, or can she use mine/savings as that in addition to hers. The reason I ask is she has only recently started some part time work from home, and hence doesn't have alot of salary to speak of, or a tax statement to the effect. Our biggest problem would probably be making the spend req on two CSPs....our full monthly spend is only ~2k (except when Im travelling), so would cause me to lose on the other point earning bonuses if we had to manage two. I think we might put her on a Freedom to start - not hard to meet $500 with the quarters, still a good grade of card. Do people think only one card would be a good idea? Or should I try her on something else as well? She is Inq free.

AMEX PRG (01/11), AMEX BCE (01/11): $2.5k, AMEX EDP (3/11): $6k Chase Freedom(07/13): $2k,
Barclay Arrival+ WMC (3/14): $6.3k, Barclays US Air MC (9/14): $2.5k, CSP (9/14): 12k
Message 4 of 11
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

I understand, I just recently app'd for a card last night after getting my silver and I was trying to go for platinum Smiley Mad

I think your wife should go for what she feels comfortable with. If she's good with one card, let her use that for 6 months until she's ready for another. She can also use your income as well as her other sources of income as long as she has "reasonable access" to it!

Chase is more open than AMEX in case they need verification of income, so she will be fine.

Good luck!
Message 5 of 11
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

So we apped for her online and no instant, got directed to the identity verification line. Initially they seemed like they were going to decline as all she had were authorised user accounts on her report, but after mentioning we have a checking account with Chase, they then proceeded to ask that we mail in or fax in SSN and address verification. So have gone and done that now, fingers crossed that everything works out and she gets her foot in the door. Still find it funny that they have her preapproved for a CSP, Freedom and Slate (which are different to my preapprovals, so work that out). Even if its a toy limit the advantage to starting with chase is immense, so fingers crossed.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tornadoguy wrote:

So we apped for her online and no instant, got directed to the identity verification line. Initially they seemed like they were going to decline as all she had were authorised user accounts on her report, but after mentioning we have a checking account with Chase, they then proceeded to ask that we mail in or fax in SSN and address verification. So have gone and done that now, fingers crossed that everything works out and she gets her foot in the door. Still find it funny that they have her preapproved for a CSP, Freedom and Slate (which are different to my preapprovals, so work that out). Even if its a toy limit the advantage to starting with chase is immense, so fingers crossed.

Good luck to her! I'm sure she will be fine. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
b_diddy
Established Contributor

@tornadoguy wrote:

Crossed with you ... looks promising.  Good luck!

FICO Scores: EX 733 (1/17/15) EQ 761 (1/17/15) TU 750 (1/17/15)

Message 8 of 11
tornadoguy
Regular Contributor

Right, Applying tomorrow morning for my new cards...the only question, which order.

Do I apply for Chase first then Barclays US Airways, or the other way round?

Message 9 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

If you had pre approval from Chase I would do Barclay first. With only those two inquiries it may not make a difference.  Good Luck to the both of you!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.