Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Capital One Venture Sign up Bonus 75k

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Capital One Venture Sign up Bonus 75k

Hello everyone,

I'm very intrigued by this new sign up bonus for the capital one venture. Really good bonus as long you can spend the 5k in 3 months. My plan is to meet sign up bonus and than downgrade to venture one. No AF first year so no risk there. My question is do they still allow you to downgrade prior to AF hitting? And would I have to use my miles prior to downgrading? As in will pts/miles be valued less if I had some remaining after downgrading? No familiar with Capital one system.

I don't plan on keeping the card since I currently use CSR/Freedom Unl/Freedom/WOH currently. See no value in the venture. Please let me know what y'all think! 

4 REPLIES 4
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: New Capital One Venture Sign up Bonus 75k

There's already a LONG thread (5 pages of comments so far) on this exact topic.  If you read that thread, all your questions will be answered.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Appreciate the response man, but I don't believe those specific questions in the original post were answered unless I keep missing it. Granted I probably should've posted in that thread (my bad), but was in a hurry and didn't see it.

I'm asking specifically in regards to the points value if I were to downgrade it prior to using the points. I'd imagine they would be valued less, but just wanted to confirm. Cap One customer service was terrible this morning on providing me details. Thanks!

Message 3 of 5
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

If Capital One customer service doesn't know the answer, then it means Capital One hasn't thought about the problem yet, so nobody on this board will know for sure what would happen.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm very intrigued by this new sign up bonus for the capital one venture. Really good bonus as long you can spend the 5k in 3 months. My plan is to meet sign up bonus and than downgrade to venture one. No AF first year so no risk there. My question is do they still allow you to downgrade prior to AF hitting? And would I have to use my miles prior to downgrading? As in will pts/miles be valued less if I had some remaining after downgrading? No familiar with Capital one system.

I don't plan on keeping the card since I currently use CSR/Freedom Unl/Freedom/WOH currently. See no value in the venture. Please let me know what y'all think! 

Hey,

It would be pretty much playing with fire, there's a pretty big chance that you will burn your relationship with Capital One so you gotta weight how much you actually value that. If you do not, yeah sure, go for it BUT if you do, then there's no reason to do it because of $95 when they are giving you ($750 - if you can hit the minimum spend). I am going to copy and paste the same thing that I wrote in another topic when someone was asking about triple dipping the Amex Plat credits (I changed "Amex" to "Capital One" for this situation but it works for both).

I just wanted to say that downgrading is fine BUT I would wait 1 year before downgrading. Pay the AF then downgrade to the VentureOne card. They will probably refund you the fee for downgrading but let them to that, not you.

"Ok, this is how I see it. You are pretty much destroying a “relationship” with Capital One for $95. I mean, it all depends on how you value that. If you don’t care, sure, do it BUT, I can see that you already have some Capital One cards and maybe in the future would like to get a CLI or get approved for new cards right? Well, it wouldn’t happen and all for $95.

I would not recommend you to do that, you won’t be getting too much out of it when you consider the “whole thing”. Like it was mentioned before, keep the card and take advantage of all the other benefits but because of people that do that that CC companies keep on cutting on benefits because they, in the end of the day, have to pay for those credits that you would be getting and that cost get passed to us, legit customers. That could be actually an easy way to get into Capital One's blacklist, so if that’s what you are secretly looking for, go for it!

I get that some people are saying here that this is a game and that the card was design for that and so on. I have to say that I disagree. First, this is only a game because THEY let you play. If they don’t give you a credit card, there’s no game to play.

Like I mentioned before, I don’t think that doing that is worth ruining a relationship with a bank that is willing to give you credit but this is me, we may have different opinions here."

Keep it in mind that, even if they charge you an AF, you're still getting $655 in miles!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.