Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Card and No Hard Pull?

tag
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

New Card and No Hard Pull?

I just applied for one of the new Amex Blue cards yesterday and it said I needed to wait 14 days to hear.  I immediately checked the status, and it said I had been approved.  I have Experian Triple Alert provided by a company that may have lost my info, and it has no alerts for any hard pulls on any of my three reports.  Did Amex not do a hard pull to approve me? (I've never had an account with Amex) or does it take a while for hard pulls to show up on the alerting services?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
aamex
Frequent Contributor

Re: New Card and No Hard Pull?

@scientifics wrote:

I just applied for one of the new Amex Blue cards yesterday and it said I needed to wait 14 days to hear.  I immediately checked the status, and it said I had been approved.  I have Experian Triple Alert provided by a company that may have lost my info, and it has no alerts for any hard pulls on any of my three reports.  Did Amex not do a hard pull to approve me? (I've never had an account with Amex) or does it take a while for hard pulls to show up on the alerting services?

I have the same exact question. I applied for Blue cash, 2 days ago and still have not seen a hard pull (Thankfully). The funny thing is I use their CSM. But, I also applied for another in the same day and did get alerted a day later...Maybe they are behind?

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 2 of 14
aftermath
Established Contributor

I had the same thing happen to me yesterday.

I applied for aa Amex Gold Charge Card and was denied.

I checked my EX reports soon after and today as well... no inquiry. Smiley Indifferent

Alerts usually take a day to pop up.

If you want to find out for sure, pull an actual report from either Experian directly or through a credit monitoring service.

I'm wondering if Amex's system is glitchy and they are temporarily giving away inquiry free card applications?

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 3 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@scientifics wrote:

That's pretty interesting!

Usually the hards show up immediately. Back when I first applied with BofA, I was on hold with them for a small eternity, and I pulled a TrueCredit report (back when they did all three). The hard was already showing, and I wasn't even off the phone yet.

It's possible that your credit monitoring service doesn't exactly do real time, and there might be a day or two's delay in letting you know.

On the other hand, you might have gotten lucky!

'grats on the new card.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 14
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@aftermath wrote:

I checked my EX reports soon after and today as well... no inquiry. Smiley Indifferent

If you want to find out for sure, pull an actual report from either Experian directly or through a credit monitoring service.

I'm wondering if Amex's system is glitchy and they are temporarily giving away inquiry free card applications?

Good point! It's possible that it's on the report, and the monitoring service hasn't cruised through and found it. There's a cost (to the monitoring service) involved in checking your reports, so I doubt that they check them throughout the day, or even daily. Or they haven't sent out an alert; same difference in the end.

If someone has actually pulled a report and the inq isn't there, that's different.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 14
aftermath
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@aftermath wrote:

Good point! It's possible that it's on the report, and the monitoring service hasn't cruised through and found it. There's a cost (to the monitoring service) involved in checking your reports, so I doubt that they check them throughout the day, or even daily. Or they haven't sent out an alert; same difference in the end.

If someone has actually pulled a report and the inq isn't there, that's different.

I did!  It isn't there!  Something weird is going on over at Amex.

I pulled right after the application and also checked today.

Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Message 6 of 14
aupperk24

Just applied, Got a hard pull instantly. Not sure if accepted, i will be contacted by mail in 14 days.

Chase Freedom - $6000 Amex Blue Cash - $2000 CLI-> $6000 (4/2/13) CLI --> $18,000(9/14/13) Capital One Visa - $750 Shell Card - $300 (Closed) Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5000 (Accepted 6/29/13) Discover IT (Accepted 7/03/2013)
Message 7 of 14
DI
Super Contributor

@aupperk24 wrote:

Just applied, Got a hard pull instantly. Not sure if accepted, i will be contacted by mail in 14 days.

I was just about to apply for a new AMEX card until I saw your post.    Not getting hit with a hard inquiry is a good deal. 

Message 8 of 14
aftermath
Established Contributor

@aupperk24 wrote:

Looks like they fixed their glitch. Smiley Sad

Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Message 9 of 14
aupperk24

Lame, i was hoping for a new card without a hard pull Smiley Tongue

Chase Freedom - $6000 Amex Blue Cash - $2000 CLI-> $6000 (4/2/13) CLI --> $18,000(9/14/13) Capital One Visa - $750 Shell Card - $300 (Closed) Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5000 (Accepted 6/29/13) Discover IT (Accepted 7/03/2013)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.