Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Card or to the Garden?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Card or to the Garden?

Hi all!

Looking for some advice and direction when it comes to either getting a new card or going to the garden. I have some planned non-cateogry expenses coming up in early 2019 in the ballpark of $5k or so, as well as a trip abroad in Q2 2019.

My original thought was to apply for a new card with a high SUB that also doubles as a travel card (CSP/R or Cap1 Venture), based on my planned spending in the new year. This will allow me to grab the SUB fairly easily, which can be used for my trip (along with rewards earned for spending and trip itself). 

My hesitation is that I opened a Capital One Savor in Q1-2018 and an AMEX BCP in Septemeber.  

Based on these two new accounts do you think it is a good idea to apply for a new card or should I go to the garden and let these cards age? I can just use my existing Citi Double Cash and take the 2% back on the 5k spend (but no SUB). Last thing I want is a denied application and hard hit for nothing. My FICO score is 772.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: New Card or to the Garden?

I think you're fine for a new card. Is your 5/24 status OK?

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@HeavenOhio wrote:

I think you're fine for a new card. Is your 5/24 status OK?

I am at 2 new cards in the last 24 months (both opened this year). I have 4 open cards in total (total CL of roughly $60k)

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

New card.

Do make a decision on which ecosystem you wanna get into, or both, lol
Message 4 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I'd go for the CSR; that's going to be like getting back around 22% of that non-category spend just assuming the default 1.5 cents per UR.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I currently have the Cap On Savor for all of my dining spend (4% back, grandfathered no AF) so it’s tough for me to justify such a high AF for the CSR.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Csr has a 300 usd travel credit, as long as you fly once a year, the AF is really only 150.

If you have savor, then the question is if you travel enough to earn that 150 AF plus at least 2% back. Or if you prefer to stay in the cap 1 system, maybe look at venture or venture1.

You can always just get the sub from csr or csp, then downgrade to a freedom.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.