Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Chase Freedom member!!

tag
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

New Chase Freedom member!!

ok...so i stepped out of garden mode and app'd for the chase freedom this morning.  been wanting a prime credit card for a long time, but couldn't get approved because of credit history.  well...i app'd and got the being reviewed message.  called to check status and was told that it's already been denied.  not surprised that's why i called the recon number to check status.  the analyst that i spoke with offered to let me know why i was denied.  of course i knew it was because of my verizon CO and judgement.  he said he was looking at my EQ report.  i told him that if he looks at the accounts, it will show that i am disputing both.  he asked for more information about my verizon dispute.  i told him that on the report, it actually seems like the account has been CO'd 9 months before i even opened the account.  then he asked me about my judgement and i told him that it's been paid back in 2006.  he said it was still showing status as pending.  i told him that i have a dispute for the account to be updated to paid.  i told him if he pulls my other reports, it will say that judgement has been paid.  he put me on hold for a while.  came back and asked about my HSBC dispute.  informed him that i was disputing so that the TL can be updated since the last update HSBC did was back in March.  he put me on hold again.

well...he came back and told me that he has noted everything i told him....and APPROVED MY  APPLICATION!!!  he said i will be receiving my new card in about 2 weeks.  he said that he approved me for a CL of $800.  it's pretty low and he kinda noticed in my tone of voice that i was disappointed.  he told me to just keep using the card and make sure i show chase that i can handle using the card....and the CLI will be increased if they see how responsible i am with my usage and payments.  again...didn't really care about the low limit...what's important to me is that i got my foot in the door for a prime card!!  hopefully, by this next year, my CL will be much much higher!

do you guys know if Chase reports AUs?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
DI
Super Contributor

Re: New Chase Freedom member!!

@TravellingNomad wrote:

ok...so i stepped out of garden mode and app'd for the chase freedom this morning.  been wanting a prime credit card for a long time, but couldn't get approved because of credit history.  well...i app'd and got the being reviewed message.  called to check status and was told that it's already been denied.  not surprised that's why i called the recon number to check status.  the analyst that i spoke with offered to let me know why i was denied.  of course i knew it was because of my verizon CO and judgement.  he said he was looking at my EQ report.  i told him that if he looks at the accounts, it will show that i am disputing both.  he asked for more information about my verizon dispute.  i told him that on the report, it actually seems like the account has been CO'd 9 months before i even opened the account.  then he asked me about my judgement and i told him that it's been paid back in 2006.  he said it was still showing status as pending.  i told him that i have a dispute for the account to be updated to paid.  i told him if he pulls my other reports, it will say that judgement has been paid.  he put me on hold for a while.  came back and asked about my HSBC dispute.  informed him that i was disputing so that the TL can be updated since the last update HSBC did was back in March.  he put me on hold again.

well...he came back and told me that he has noted everything i told him....and APPROVED MY  APPLICATION!!!  he said i will be receiving my new card in about 2 weeks.  he said that he approved me for a CL of $800.  it's pretty low and he kinda noticed in my tone of voice that i was disappointed.  he told me to just keep using the card and make sure i show chase that i can handle using the card....and the CLI will be increased if they see how responsible i am with my usage and payments.  again...didn't really care about the low limit...what's important to me is that i got my foot in the door for a prime card!!  hopefully, by this next year, my CL will be much much higher!

Congrats!   The limit may be low, but at least you got in with Chase. Yes, they do report AUs. 

Message 2 of 12
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

Thanks DI.  yeah it's a low limit but it's ok.  i plan on using this card as one of my main card...charging not more than $200 on it each billing cycle and PIF each month.  the low limit got my foot in the door...so if i play the credit card charging game correctly....it will be to my advantage and chase will be raising my CL in no time Smiley Happy

cool...that's good to know they report AUs.  that's why i wanted this chase card as well...because i read on the board that chase reports AUs (and fortunately, my other cards as well per the board)  since the wife just migrated to the US, ive been adding her on my other cards so that to help jumpstart her credit...so that in 2 years, she'll have enough history to work for us when we start shopping for our own house.

Message 3 of 12
DI
Super Contributor

De nada, TravellingNomad!  Do  you qualify to get the $200 cash back?

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TravellingNomad wrote:

well...he came back and told me that he has noted everything i told him....and APPROVED MY  APPLICATION!!!  he said i will be receiving my new card in about 2 weeks.  he said that he approved me for a CL of $800.  it's pretty low and he kinda noticed in my tone of voice that i was disappointed.  he told me to just keep using the card and make sure i show chase that i can handle using the card....and the CLI will be increased if they see how responsible i am with my usage and payments.  again...didn't really care about the low limit...what's important to me is that i got my foot in the door for a prime card!!  hopefully, by this next year, my CL will be much much higher!

Congratulations!      You are right ~ put your foot in to their door is very important.  Once you put your foot in the door, you will be fine as long as you takes care of your baby well.

Message 5 of 12
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@DI wrote:

De nada, TravellingNomad!  Do  you qualify to get the $200 cash back?

aargh!!  you know what...i did not even remember to go to your thread when i applied!  i applied with only the $100 cash back.  but i called to see if they gave me the $200 and the person said there was no way for him to check that right now since mine's a new account.  he did tell me to check it once i get my welcome packet...and if i don't have the $200 program, to contact customer service to see if i can upgrade to it.

Message 6 of 12
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations!      You are right ~ put your foot in to their door is very important.  Once you put your foot in the door, you will be fine as long as you takes care of your baby well.

thanks bunnyrabbit.  trust me...the new account will be in very good hands!

Message 7 of 12
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

@TravellingNomad wrote:

Congratulations! And I know just how you feel about the credit limit because I went through the same exact thing yesterday... A couple days ago I was withdrawing cash from an ATM at a Chase branch and afterward the machine displayed a message saying that I was pre-approved for a Chase Freedom card.. Now, I had already gotten a Chase Slate card with a $1,000 credit limit back in March and got a Discover card with a good limit a month later, so I was a little worried that I could potentially waste an inquiry and get declined for a Freedom card.. Even though I like the Slate card, it offers no rewards so I wanted a Freedom card to compliment my Discover card for that purpose.. I accepted the offer at the ATM and of course later I see that Chase pulled Experian for me once again.. I really wish they'd pull something else like TransUnion or even Equifax because I have 16 inquiries on Experian and only 2 on TransUnion, lol.. While submitting an online payment for my Slate card I noticed that another credit card was listed with a $0 balance. I checked and saw that a Chase Freedom card appeared under my Slate account details, so, I was a little excited and scolled down to see what the credit limit was only to get smacked in the face with a $300 credit limit... It's a little disappointing but I still consider myself to be lucky because they could've just denied me outright, but they didn't and now I have 2 credit cards with Chase.. It would be pretty dang sweet if they could consolidate the two cards, combining the credit limits into 1 card. If not, I'll just have to be a good boy and continue to manage my credit properly and hope for a credit line increase sooner than later...

Now, there's only 1 card left  on the planet that I want and it's always been the hardest nut for me to crack - CITIBANK.

Message 8 of 12
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

Thanks FS626!  it was actually a toss up between that and the freedom.  i also almost app'd for the sapphire because they had two tiers....different offers for excellent creidt and another for average.  but yeah, i wanted some sort of rewards on the card.  the feeling of finally being in outweighed the low CL because even before my credit tanked, chase would not give me a card (they said not enough credit history with a car loan and 2 credit cards).  but im just really hoping that in about a year from now, my CL would be way more than what it is now. chase matched my CL for my BBRZ MC.  yeah but im with you about them pulling EX.  i actually already knew that's what they were going to pull because a buddy of mine that works for Chase as a LO told me they either pull EX or TU.  i asked him if there was a way to request which one but he said it depends on which report comes up first.

yeah citi turned me down a few weeks ago...and no go on a recon either.  i was straight out told to try again in 6 months without even them asking more info.  now i just have one more cc to go after.  just waiting to hear back from Alliant CU regarding my membership application.  once the account is set up, i'll be app'ing for their visa rewards card so i can maximize the EQ HP they did yesterday.  they told me if i apply for cc within 30 days of membership application, they'll use the same report they pulled.  if they give me a high enough CL, i'll be done with app'ing for the next several years. 

Message 9 of 12
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Congrats!  What number did you call to after you received the "we're thinking about it message"?  Smiley Happy

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.