Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Chevron Visa Approval

tag
turninganewleaf
Regular Contributor

New Chevron Visa Approval

I have had the Chevron store card since August 2006 with a starting CL of $300.  I received a $100 increase one year later and have maintained a $400 CL since September 2007.

This account has been in good standing and mid-high balance, made a $110 payment last month.  I have not had any CLI requests on this account so I called CS.  I inquired about the Chevron Visa (fuel credits, no AF, etc) and decided I'd go for the Visa (hard pull) rather than the Store (soft pull for CLI).  I was approved for the Visa, don't know the CL yet.

Did I make a smart move?  I'm *assuming* I'll have a higher CL on the Visa than the store card which would help my utilization.  

Should I leave the Chevron store card open with a $0 balance (charge every once in a while) to avoid hurting my length of credit?

FICO 8/5/10; TU 724, EQ 702
FICO 6/9/09: TU 669, EQ 658, EX ???
FICO 7/20/07: TU 540; EQ 595, EX 544
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Chevron Visa Approval

I haven't looked at that card in a while.  Does the Visa offer any gas discounts?   What are the APRs for each one?

I'd say keep both, but only use the one which benefits you the most on a regular basis.

Message 2 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

looks like visa gives you 10c off and 3% and 1% rewards.

also has apr tiers 13.99, 15.99, 18.99 or something close to that vs. 21% regular card.

was thinking about asking for ours to be upgraded, but I use speedway exclusively with Chase speedway card and get 5 cents but gas is at least 10 cents cheaper then chevron in my city. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question= Why not convert the store card to the visa and keep that trade line open?
Message 4 of 6
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Question= Why not convert the store card to the visa and keep that trade line open?
for some reason they do not convert!!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks credit..
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.