Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Credit Card Advice

tag
Guvnor
Established Member

New Credit Card Advice

Hey Guys,

I'm Matt from Atlanta GA, i moved here last year from England. I got a SSN in February this year and was made Permanent Resident in March. I got my first line of credit in June from my Bank, Bank of America a secured $99 deposit $500 limit card.

I'm looking to add to my cards and i'm looking for advice on what my next steps should be, what do you guys think i should be appying for? Credit Karma say my score is 725 and Experian said my score is 736. I've only had 2 statements since getting my card but both were paid on time carrying less than 30% utilization but my average length of credit is only 0.17years.

Thank you in advance

Matt

FICO (Discover) = 757
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Gatortrout
Regular Contributor

Re: New Credit Card Advice

From what I have gathered here. It seems like your best bet would be to apply for a Capital One. That was my first card back in 2006, and I got it with no credit history.
Message 2 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Guvnor wrote:

Hey Guys,

I'm Matt from Atlanta GA, i moved here last year from England. I got a SSN in February this year and was made Permanent Resident in March. I got my first line of credit in June from my Bank, Bank of America a secured $99 deposit $500 limit card.

I'm looking to add to my cards and i'm looking for advice on what my next steps should be, what do you guys think i should be appying for? Credit Karma say my score is 725 and Experian said my score is 736. I've only had 2 statements since getting my card but both were paid on time carrying less than 30% utilization but my average length of credit is only 0.17years.

Thank you in advance

Matt

Did you have an American Express card in the UK?  If so, you can use their Global Transfer program.  Otherwise, probably have to start as you are, with secured cards for a while.

Or try Capital One for Newcomers card.  It has a huge APR, but is otherwise OK.   Though it was "designed" for this sort of situation, I'm not sure how easy it is to get with a very short history.

Message 3 of 7
Guvnor
Established Member

Which one though? I looked on their site and i read it as i have Average Credit in their eyes due to my account being less than 3 years old. I like the look of the QuicksilverOne Card.

Matt

FICO (Discover) = 757
Message 4 of 7
Guvnor
Established Member

No i have never had Amex, i had a HSBC CC.

I had years of bad credit in UK and i really dont want to make the same mistake here as i have a family now.

FICO (Discover) = 757
Message 5 of 7
Guvnor
Established Member

Ok i just applied and got accepted for the Capital One QuicksilverOne Card. Very Happy even though its not a huge limit.

FICO (Discover) = 757
Message 6 of 7
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats on the new TL!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.