Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New [?] Credit One AMEX Cash Back Card

tag
elboullee
Regular Contributor

New [?] Credit One AMEX Cash Back Card

I searched for an existing relevant topic, but could not find one. Apologies if there is already an existing thread.

Like most here, I get numerous "selected to apply", "preapproved", and  "guaranteed approval" CC solicitations in the mail every week. Most of which go immediately into the trash can.

Today I got one from Credit One advertising a "new" AMEX-branded cash back card. Not that I was or will ever apply for it, but just for s's and g's I opened this one and to my surprise, at least on the surface, it wasn't a half-bad offering coming from this predatory sub-prime lender.

The card features a $95 AF, a $2,500 SL, 5% cash back on the first $5K spent every year on groceries, pharmacies, streaming services, subscription TV, and internet, and 1% cash back on everything else.

Assuming you max out the 5% and put another $10K/year through the card, that would be a net of $255/year in cash back after the annual fee.

No other features and usury interest rates, but not bad for a starter card from a shady operation like Credit One.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: New [?] Credit One AMEX Cash Back Card

@elboullee wrote:

I searched for an existing relevant topic, but could not find one. Apologies if there is already an existing thread.

Like most here, I get numerous "selected to apply", "preapproved", and  "guaranteed approval" CC solicitations in the mail every week. Most of which go immediately into the trash can.

Today I got one from Credit One advertising a "new" AMEX-branded cash back card. Not that I was or will ever apply for it, but just for s's and g's I opened this one and to my surprise, at least on the surface, it wasn't a half-bad offering coming from this predatory sub-prime lender.

The card features a $95 AF, a $2,500 SL, 5% cash back on the first $5K spent every year on groceries, pharmacies, streaming services, subscription TV, and internet, and 1% cash back on everything else.

Assuming you max out the 5% and put another $10K/year through the card, that would be a net of $255/year in cash back after the annual fee.

No other features and usury interest rates, but not bad for a starter card from a shady operation like Credit One.

that card isn't new, but it's always been? a visa

https://www.creditonebank.com/credit-cards/platinum-x5-visa 

they also have the 1% amex cards: 

https://www.creditonebank.com/credit-cards/american-express-card 
https://www.creditonebank.com/credit-cards/american-express-nascar 

I did just notice a new card though: $0 AF and 5% back at pet shops, pet foods, and supply stores

https://www.creditonebank.com/credit-cards/best-friends-visa 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 13
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

@elboullee wrote:

A $95 AF is not a feature!  Smiley Wink  In your example, it would end up being a 1.7% cash back card.  I don't see how that is worth any merit.  Even if one maxed out the $5k and not a penny more and earned 5% for the whole $5k spend, it's a 3.1% CB card at absolute best.  And you'd still need to carry other cards.  I'd rather just carry several cards that can get 3 - 5% with no annual fees.  Even the categories aren't that great as Gas and Dining are missing.    

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 3 of 13
elboullee
Regular Contributor

I think you missed my point, or perhaps I didn't make it very well.

In the world of the Discovers, Quicksilvers,  etc, it's not a great card. But in the context of the dreck one usually sees from Credit One, this seems like a usable, legitimate cash back card with which one could net a couple hundred bucks a year. This is what I found surprising.

Message 4 of 13
elboullee
Regular Contributor

@GZG wrote:
that card isn't new, but it's always been? a visa

Looks like it's essentially the same card save not being an AMEX. But I don't remember the AMEX offer being only for "good to excellent credit".

Regardless, my point was more along the lines of "is Credit One trying to move upmarket?".

Message 5 of 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

They've been trying to "up" their market. Not sure that they have though, because a $95 AF is still hefty for a subprime card/lender.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 13
Traveler101
Established Contributor

You could compare interest rates to a real Amex, with high side of rates @28% and wonder what's the difference. Amex will have a lot more benefits for sure. And a higher credit line. For some, just having a credit card in your wallet, you feel important. How many of us remember that? I do. I was proud when I had a 300.00 starter card. 

Message 7 of 13
Drifter73
Frequent Contributor

Not new, I have the 5%cb Amex creditone with $95af. (You forgot to mention the gas category, mine has gas)

Mine is used for the 5% mobile phone/data cash back mostly, but its also the fall back 5%cb gas and groceries for when I hit my max caps on other cards (e.g. citi custom cash $500 per mo. Max cap).

For me, it's comparable to the Amex bcp with the same $95af.

I haven't had any issues with creditone, but then, I pif every month and never have to worry about their high interest rates. I see lots trashing creditone, but I have nothing bad to say about them in my own experience with them.

Honestly, I have 3 other cards I'll cut before I cut my 5% creditone.

To each there own. Everyone has different experiences and reasons for their card decks. 

Message 8 of 13
elboullee
Regular Contributor

@Drifter73 wrote:

To each there own. Everyone has different experiences and reasons for their card decks.  

The issue that most informs my opinion of Credit One - and many other subprime lenders like them - isn't how others may view them or how some may look down on any card that isn't from Chase or an AMEX charge card, but rather their predatory and dare I say borderline dishonest practices.

Usary interest rates? A given. Few if ant perks or rewards? Again, given.

But to give someone a $300 limit and then send them the card already loaded with so many fees that they have only $100 or less available when the card arrives is too much. As are monthly service fees on top of high AFs, etc.

And then there's the whole thing of trying to fool the gullible into mistaking them for Capital One by literally stealing their logo.

Just too much for me. Many others obviously disagree and I have no problem with that.

Message 9 of 13
DXness
New Contributor

Credit One is a predatory nightmare for many.  The card at hand teases "up to $2,500", but most people will get a 3 digit limit and Credit One will pre-charge fees, reducing their limit to something totally unusable.  They'll then charge another fee for a CLI, which may arrive in the form of a second Credit One card rather than an actual CLI on the intended card.  They don't disclose this, they just go ahead and do it.  This card can be anything, probably something with an annual fee, a setup fee, and a monthly fee, all pre-charged to the account.  When the irritated cardholder tries to close both accounts, they will get strung along and even if ultimately sucessful, Credit One might not actually close the accounts.

No level of rewards is worth that kind of mess.  YMMV, but I'd take the Amex BCP over this 100 times out of 100 chances.  Amex won't charge setup or monthly fees.  Amex will credit payments immediately, not on a sluggish weeklong schedule that you need to pay yet another fee to accelerate.  Amex will never give you a card without an interest grace period.  Amex may 3x your CL multiple times for free and let it grow to 5 figures.  IIRC, $2,500 is Credit One's hard cap for most cards.  Amex's main revenue source is interchange fees, Credit One's is...fee harvesting.

Most people should run far, far away from anything to do with Credit One even if the offer looks decent.

__

Rebuilding, FICO 8s as of February 2024:

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.