Did you mean: 

New Dining + Entertainment Card

tag
FormerCollegeDJ
Frequent Contributor

Re: New Dining + Entertainment Card

@digitek wrote:

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

I recommend also looking at the "cousin" of the US Bank Cash+, the Elan Financial Services Max Cash Preferred that many regional banks offer.  Unlike the US Bank Cash+, to my knowledge the various Max Cash Preferred cards offer a selectable 5% cash back entertainment category.  The two cards are generally very similar otherwise.

This is interesting to me I didn't know this, but I doubt the entertainment category on this card covers streaming since it is a separate category on the US Bank Cash+ version.

I think your best bet is the Altitude Go. You more than likely spend more on dining than you do on streaming each month. For that reason a 4% dining/2% streaming is actually better than a 3% dining/3% streaming card.

If you really wanted to optimize streaming category I'd recommend the US Bank Cash+ for streaming and any other category you want to choose (utilities is popular).

Streaming is probably just not that much spend a month to worry too much about having a dedicated card for it and it doesn't even have potential to ever really be that big. For a $50/month streaming bill saving 1% is only $.50/month or $6 a year.

TV/internet/streaming services is also a selectable 5% category on the Elan Financial Services Max Cash Preferred cards.  A user could cover both entertainment and streaming as their two 5% categories (and use a different card that offers 3% or more for dining).

Playing the credit card rewards game since early May 2020.

Current credit cards:
American Express: Hilton Honors
Bank of America: Customized Cash Rewards Visa
Capital One: SavorOne MC
Chase: Amazon Visa, Freedom Unlimited Visa, Freedom Flex MC
Citi: Sears/ThankYou Rewards MC, My Best Buy Visa, Custom Cash MC
Comenity: AAA Travel Advantage Visa
Discover: Cash It
Elan: S&T Bank Max Cash Preferred Visa
FNBO: Amtrak Guest Rewards Platinum MC
PSECU: Founder's Visa
U.S. Bank: Cash+ Visa
Wells Fargo: Autograph Visa
Store cards: Kohl's

Next target credit cards: Wells Fargo Bilt Mastercard (probably), Truist Enjoy Travel Visa (maybe)
Message 11 of 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@digitek wrote:

I think your best bet is the Altitude Go. You more than likely spend more on dining than you do on streaming each month. For that reason a 4% dining/2% streaming is actually better than a 3% dining/3% streaming card.

Streaming is probably just not that much spend a month to worry too much about having a dedicated card for it and it doesn't even have potential to ever really be that big. For a $50/month streaming bill saving 1% is only $.50/month or $6 a year.

This!   It's easy to focus on various percentages, but often some categories really account for very little spend.   Sure, if you are open (and able) to getting lots of cards, you may as well get cards that optimize rewards in all categories, but otherwise do the comparison of the type here. A big percentage on a high spend category may well dominate a card with higher percentages on more minor categories.

Message 12 of 23
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

@Kylo wrote:

Are you open to a business card? If so, Amex BBP (extremely easy to qualify for) is effectively 3% on everything if you redeem the Amex points in an intelligent way. 

if you're not open to a business card, I would go for the USB Altitude Go. 4% on dining with no annual fee is fantastic, and 2% on streaming is great BUT you also get a statement credit that boosts your effective cash back rate

This is a grreat point and another push in Altitude Go's favor. Having slept on it, Altitude Go is also a leading contender along with Venmo, but only if the ease of redeeming the rewards is simple and easy.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions! I don't need a business card, but have a few more ideas to consider thanks to the community. I hope this thread is helpful to others as well. I didn't have this trouble when the Wayfair card closed because it was so niche I didn't miss anything other than the high limit, but I'm coming to realize I had created the perfect card lineup nicely meeting all my spending needs quite unintentionally. I'm trying to be far more purposeful in this newest app decision, so appreciate all the feedback

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

@digitek wrote:

@FormerCollegeDJ wrote:

I recommend also looking at the "cousin" of the US Bank Cash+, the Elan Financial Services Max Cash Preferred that many regional banks offer.  Unlike the US Bank Cash+, to my knowledge the various Max Cash Preferred cards offer a selectable 5% cash back entertainment category.  The two cards are generally very similar otherwise.

This is interesting to me I didn't know this, but I doubt the entertainment category on this card covers streaming since it is a separate category on the US Bank Cash+ version.

If you really wanted to optimize streaming category I'd recommend the US Bank Cash+ for streaming and any other category you want to choose (utilities is popular).

TV/internet/streaming services is also a selectable 5% category on the Elan Financial Services Max Cash Preferred cards.  A user could cover both entertainment and streaming as their two 5% categories (and use a different card that offers 3% or more for dining).

All of the entertainment options look a lot more like my SavorOne's "go out and do something" though. The Marvel card was nice because it had you covered whether you wanted to go see a movie or stay home and play a video game (with the exception of Xbox because it uses Microsoft's MCC but PSN and Nintendo work fine) while SavorOne would cover the movie but nothing digital. 

https://card.myaccountaccess.com/credit/elanmicro/pdfs/categories_max_cash_preferred_visa.pdf

Message 14 of 23
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

@blossom_rebuilding , is the AOD 3% on everything with no limit Signature card not an option available to you?  There are some hurdles to jump through, but once getting past those it is an excellent card and CU!

For the US Bank products, they are very selective about the number of new cards you have gained in the past 12 months.  Basically, if you've gotten 1 card in the past 12 months, they may not approve... if you've acquired 2+ then don't even attempt nabbing one of their options as it will most likely be a denial.  I've had no issues redeeming cashback from USB as a statement credit, and just last month it still says minimum redemption amount was $0.01.  Not exactly sure if the statement credit redemption amount changes soon... I thought I read that on here somewhere but haven't seen it on my USB Go or DW's Cash+ yet.

Message 15 of 23
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

@Duke_Nukem wrote:

@blossom_rebuilding , is the AOD 3% on everything with no limit Signature card not an option available to you?  There are some hurdles to jump through, but once getting past those it is an excellent card and CU!

For the US Bank products, they are very selective about the number of new cards you have gained in the past 12 months.  Basically, if you've gotten 1 card in the past 12 months, they may not approve... if you've acquired 2+ then don't even attempt nabbing one of their options as it will most likely be a denial.  I've had no issues redeeming cashback from USB as a statement credit, and just last month it still says minimum redemption amount was $0.01.  Not exactly sure if the statement credit redemption amount changes soon... I thought I read that on here somewhere but haven't seen it on my USB Go or DW's Cash+ yet.

I'm good on inquiries; I only have one that is about 18 months old. All three Fico 8's are in the 750 neighborhood, total utilization around 23%. I hadn't considered AOD; will add that to my research list! The AltitudeGo redemption is good news, but I need to look more as to how points translate to cashback (one more reason why I don't love points structures)...

Message 16 of 23
blossom_rebuilding
Regular Contributor

USB Altitude Go: 5-7 day message

Spent the last day deliberating on a new dining and entertainment card (ongoing thread can be found here). I want to replace the Marvel card before it gets discontinued at the end of May, and get my recurring charges and stuff switched over ASAP, and I landed on the USB Altitude Go card as my first choice. I know they are inquiry sensitive, but my last inquiry and new account were 18 months ago. My utilization isn't the best at 23%, but I've been steadily paying it down. All FICO 8s are 750-757. I know it's USB will be hit or miss, so I won't be too upset if I'm not approved or waste an inquiry since I have so few anyway and have a solid backup plan if in applying for Venmo if it doesn't pan out. I apped, got an identity verification request, then the 5-7 day message. Fingers crossed!

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Bank offers a totally free checking account (Gold Checking) for US Bank credit card holders. This can be used to transfer cashback balances if you do not want to use cashback as a statement credit....

Message 18 of 23
Taurus22
Valued Contributor

Re: USB Altitude Go: 5-7 day message

Good luck! 

(Still give AODFCU a really good look....their 3%  Everything card survived the myFICO wave when it was discovered and it's still going strong and still promoting. It's been a godsend for me personally, covering all the cashback categories I couldn't cover previously and it is my go-to card now. The credit union is phenomenal. They have a very healthy kasasa checking account as well that offers a 2.5% dividend up to $20k.)

My Wallet
Sock Drawered

On Deck: No Plans Currently
Message 19 of 23
Duke_Nukem
Established Contributor

Re: USB Altitude Go: 5-7 day message

@blossom_rebuilding wrote:

Spent the last day deliberating on a new dining and entertainment card (ongoing thread can be found here). I want to replace the Marvel card before it gets discontinued at the end of May, and get my recurring charges and stuff switched over ASAP, and I landed on the USB Altitude Go card as my first choice. I know they are inquiry sensitive, but my last inquiry and new account were 18 months ago. My utilization isn't the best at 23%, but I've been steadily paying it down. All FICO 8s are 750-757. I know it's USB will be hit or miss, so I won't be too upset if I'm not approved or waste an inquiry since I have so few anyway and have a solid backup plan if in applying for Venmo if it doesn't pan out. I apped, got an identity verification request, then the 5-7 day message. Fingers crossed!

It's not unusual to have USB do a manual review, so nothing too concerning at the moment for you.  It sounds to me like you should get the GO card with your DP's.

If you feel up to the challenge, go for the AOD card as well.  I was able to get my AOD after getting a couple of new cards on my report, so even if you do have the USB Go report it shouldn't be much of a concern with AOD.  A biggie with AOD is how they calculate student loans into your DTI.  If you have any of those, then a may hurt your chances.

Good luck with the USB app!  There's a phone number you can call to get updates on your application (it's automated, so you don't have to talk to a person unless you want to).  I don't remember the number, but you should be able to find it somewhere in the application and/or approval threads.

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.