Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Introduction to myFICO

tag
NYCinDebt
New Visitor

New Introduction to myFICO

Hello All,

I just joined myFICO forums.  I have been looking for ways to improve my credit and have been actively and successfully paying off debt for that last 5 years.  Here is some info about me:

29 year old male living in New York city

72K yearly income

$50K Student Loan Debt

Credit info:

American Express Optimun: $25 Balance, $900 CL

Citibank Mastercard: $1800 Balance, $2100 CL

Neiman Marcus: $150 Balance, $500 CL

MSU Visa: $0 Balance, recently paid off, account was closed in 2009

Credit Scores: EQ-646, EX-666, TU-668

Any advice on how to improve my scores would be helpful, thank you.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Re: New Introduction to myFICO

Welcome!  Unless the APR is outrageous on the Neimann Marcuss card getting the Citibank card paid down/off should be first since its maxed out.  Dropping your utility will greatly improve your credit worthiness.  Perhaps additional information can be given if you post your current scores and the APRs on each account.  Any other baddies?

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 2 of 9
NYCinDebt
New Visitor

Thanks for the reply!

Current Scores are: EQ-646, EX-666, TU-668

The interest rates on my cards are:

Citi 14.2%

Amex 18.2%

Neiman 24%

Since 2010 I have not had any late payments.  After I graduated college in 2009 there were a lot of missed and late payments on my cards and student loans.  Since 2010 I have not missed any payments and have been paying down balances.  In 2010 my credit scores were in the low 500's

Message 3 of 9
tattooedhusker
Established Contributor

@BigBS wrote:

Welcome!  Unless the APR is outrageous on the Neimann Marcuss card getting the Citibank card paid down/off should be first since its maxed out.  Dropping your utility will greatly improve your credit worthiness.  Perhaps additional information can be given if you post your current scores and the APRs on each account.  Any other baddies?

+1, Definitly pay down that utilization

NFCU CashRewards $13.5k | AMEX BCE $15k | Lowes $17k | Sportsmanss guide $7.6k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $4.4k |
Walmart $8k | Gordman's $2950
Message 4 of 9
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Normally, you would want to pay the highest interest rate cards off first, but in your case they utilization is a bigger problem.  Continue paying slightly above minimum on the NM account and pay heavily on the Citibank account to get it below 30% and your overall percentage below 30%.  After that look to get things under 10% and with the agining of the lates your scores will definitely improve.  That's just my $.02.

Message 5 of 9
NYCinDebt
New Visitor

Thank you, I'm slowy chippng away paying down these cards.  I just paid off the MSU Visa this month after 3 years and paid off the Amex with my tax refund also. Should I ask for any credit limit increases, I have never done that, or ask for interest rate reductions?

Message 6 of 9
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@NYCinDebt wrote:

Thanks for the reply!

Current Scores are: EQ-646, EX-666, TU-668

The interest rates on my cards are:

Citi 14.2%  Pay down and call Citi and ask for CLI (keep in mind it could be HP)

Amex 18.2% Use & pay this one and keep balance at $0 if you can each month

Neiman 24% Pay this one off & also give them a call and ask for CLI (Should be SP)

Since 2010 I have not had any late payments.  After I graduated college in 2009 there were a lot of missed and late payments on my cards and student loans.  Since 2010 I have not missed any payments and have been paying down balances.  In 2010 my credit scores were in the low 500's

Just like others stated, try to keep your overall UTIL down as much as you can by paying down on your Citi agressively and let your new balances report.  You'll see some changes in your scores after 5-6months (if your overall util is under 30%), and it'll open some doors for ya for other cards down the road.

Welcome to the forum and great job on your credit rebuilding journey!  Smiley Wink

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 7 of 9
BigBS
Senior Contributor

@NYCinDebt wrote:

Thank you, I'm slowy chippng away paying down these cards.  I just paid off the MSU Visa this month after 3 years and paid off the Amex with my tax refund also. Should I ask for any credit limit increases, I have never done that, or ask for interest rate reductions?

Get your utilization down to enhance your chances of CLI.

Message 8 of 9
parakleet
Valued Contributor

@NYCinDebt wrote:

I would see if CLIs are possible without a HP and definitely call and ask for a reduction in interest rate. It doesn't hurt to ask!

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.