cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Member to the myFICO Forum! Nice to meet everyone.

tag
CollegeStudent530
Regular Contributor

New Member to the myFICO Forum! Nice to meet everyone.

After using this forum for just a little over half a year, I decided to make an account on myFICO.

For introductions, I am currently a 20-year-old second year college student learning to be financially responsible. In my opinion, credit cards are very powerful tools, if used correctly. I am hoping to build a strong credit report for post graduation for housing, car loans, and other purposes.  After getting rejected by Bank of America when I was 18, I did not give up and applied for a Secured Visa at Golden 1 Credit Union. After three months of good usage, I applied for the Student Visa and received a $500 credit limit. Since then, I have acquired two additional cards with AMAZING cashback bonuses, benefits, generous credit limit increases,  and satisfactory customer service. I have a job, pay my bills in full every month, and use my card responsibly. 

As of today, here's my current wallet: 

Chase Freedom: $3,000

Discover IT: $2,000

Golden 1 Student Visa: $1,000

TU Score: 731 as of 3/22/2013

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: New Member to the myFICO Forum! Nice to meet everyone.

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your successful credit journey, you are doing great!!

*8/10/13
Message 2 of 26
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Welcome to the myFico boards!!

It's great you are learning all this while you are young.  Many of us didn't learn much about credit until after we made some boo boos and had to work hard to reform our credit profiles.

Congrats on your continued success!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 3 of 26
hausfrau
New Contributor

Good job starting this young, and doing it right. This is something I've started teaching my baby sis, who just turned 18. She can learn from my mistakes.

Starting my rebuild!

Message 4 of 26
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@kevinnguyen530 wrote:

After using this forum for just a little over half a year, I decided to make an account on myFICO.

For introductions, I am currently a 20-years-old second year in college learning to be financially responsible. In my opinion, credit cards are very powerful tools, if used correctly. I am hoping to build a strong credit report for post graduation for housing, car loans, and other purposes.  After getting rejected by Bank of America when I was 18, I did not give up and applied for a Secured Visa at Golden 1 Credit Union. After three months of good usage, I applied for the Student Visa and received a $500 credit limit. Since then, I have acquired two additional cards with AMAZING cashback bonuses, benefits, generous credit limit increases,  and satisfactory customer service. I have a job, pay my bills in full every month, and use my card responsibly. 

Chase Freedom: $3,000

Discover IT: $2,000

Golden 1 Student Visa: $1,000

Transunion Score: 731 as of 3/22/2013

Welcome to the MyFico community!

You are off to a great start!

My best advice is for you to check out the Garden Club thread here, and garden for at least 6 months.

Nice job on getting a solid history started and for getting in with both Chase and Discover.

you should look at getting an Amex at some point this year.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 26
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

welcome and a lot of success on your journey Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 26
kevinjjc
Valued Contributor

Congrats!!! You're off to a great start! Welcome to myFICO forums!

Message 7 of 26
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

Welcome onboard and congrats! Nice collection of cards so far!

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 8 of 26
myjourney
Super Contributor

Welcome to the forum

Your off to a good start with the cards you have keep up the good workSmiley Happy

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 26
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Welcome! You are off to a great start and have some nice cards to garden for a year to build a solid history. I'm in the garden for a year too. I just obtained my Chase Freedom and Discover IT this year. I also have 3 other credit cards that I am gardening as well. The non-revolving new accounts that I'm also gardening are a mortgage and a car lease. Busy but fun! Smiley Happy
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.