cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New NFCU Cardholder Here Seeking Advice on How to keep Navy Happy?

tag
HappyInHawaii

New NFCU Cardholder Here Seeking Advice on How to keep Navy Happy?

Aloha from Maui,

So stoked to join Navy Federal Credit Union yesterday and instantly receive my largest credit line yet, really helping out with my utilization. I'd like to go ahead and apply for a second card in 91 days (early August) as I understand they tend to give larger limits on the second card if the first is handled responsibly.... looking for a better idea of what exactly this means. Do they like zero balances? Card used and paid off in full every month...Is it okay to carry any balance? Would a balance transfer of 2k (the card limit is $8,600) negatively effect my standing with them... I also set up autopay from an external account and minimum pay from the internal Navy Account... any tips or advice would be appreciated.

I ask because after getting all my other accounts to 20% or lower, I have one USAA Signature Visa at around 18-19% APR that is about 90% utilized at $4,500 of it's $5,000 limit. Was considering transferring $2,000 over to the lower 11% new card with Navy (making the USAA card 50% utilized,... if I was just making $200 payments a month would that be a good plan... I'm no credit guru I just figure that 90% utilized card isn't helping and I know I'm paying more interest on it.

Thanks for all the help. Had been a lurker for years and so stoked to finally start hitting the post button and get all the great input from you folks.

Starting Score: 555
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
3 REPLIES 3
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: New NFCU Cardholder Here Seeking Advice on How to keep Navy Happy?

NFCU just likes to get paid. Personally, I'd transfer the entire USAA card limit to the NFCU card if you have room because you'll save so much in interest and therefore pay the balance down faster. NFCU seems more concerned about overall DTI versus a higher utilization on one card. I got a CLI on my card after I did a balance transfer, which brought the card to 89% utilization for a little bit. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep NFCU would actually love you to transfer your full balance and pay them interest instead. They don’t flinch at high utilization and as @Adkins said, they are DTI focused in their lending practices. Just pay them on time and they’ll be happy. 

Message 3 of 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Use your card and pay on timeSmiley Happy. I agree, bt everything over to Navy, in time your limit will rise and help lower util even further. Id rather have a 50% card than 90%Smiley Wink.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.