Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SSN, looking to build credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New SSN, looking to build credit score

Hi,

I just got my SSN and checked on experian.com that my credit score for Experian is 709. I'm assuming the other two credit scores would be approx around 700 too. The report shows my oldest account is 1.5 years old which I understand is not good credit history.

So my question is how do I build good credit and what credit cards I should apply for. I may apply for a car loan at end of this year. I have T J Maxx credit card(I got it on ITIN) and I just got Capitol one secured card(on my SSN). I've bank account with chase. Should I apply for chase credit card? or Amazon? What are the credit cards I can get approved of which also offers some rewards like cash back.

Thank you all in advance.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: New SSN, looking to build credit score

If banking with Chase already, go in and ask if you're prequalified for any of their cards.  Just choose what fits the way you already spend.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I just got my SSN and checked on experian.com that my credit score for Experian is 709. I'm assuming the other two credit scores would be approx around 700 too. The report shows my oldest account is 1.5 years old which I understand is not good credit history.

So my question is how do I build good credit and what credit cards I should apply for. I may apply for a car loan at end of this year. I have T J Maxx credit card(I got it on ITIN) and I just got Capitol one secured card(on my SSN). I've bank account with chase. Should I apply for chase credit card? or Amazon? What are the credit cards I can get approved of which also offers some rewards like cash back.

Thank you all in advance.

I would suggest to start with Amex and Discover. They like thin files. My credit history is also short (started in 2014). I started with Amex (SL of $2,000) and Discover (SL of $1,000). Now my limits are $15,000 with Amex and $24,000 with Discover. My scores in 2015 were low 700s, now they are 770.

Joster

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your replies. I just got approved for Chase Freedom($3000 limit) and Amazon Prime($3000 limit) credit cards. I also got 4 other retail credit cards serviced by Synchrony bank and Comenity bank. 

Thank you both for your suggestions.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the new cards. Now I would choose to add an installment loan (shared/secured works) for optimal scoring or head to the garden and let your CL/CL grow. Request CLI when possible and when only one card is reporting under 9 percent util.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.