Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SallieMae Card arrived today?!?

tag
wineman
Established Member

New SallieMae Card arrived today?!?

Like everyone else, I was very sad to learn of the death of the SallieMae MC. I have been getting all the letters and emails about the upcoming change to Commence MC on March 1st. My last digital statement even had a big description of the change and the new benefits, reiterating the March 1st date.

So when I checked the mail today I was not surprised to see an envelope from them, fully expecting it to contain a Commence card. When I opened it, however, it contained a shiny new SallieMae card instead. It has a new security code and an expiration date in 2022. Why on earth would they send me a new card that will only be good for one day (Feb 28th) before being nerfed and replaced with Commence? Is there any possibility they have had a change of heart and will keep the SallieMae arround a bit longer? Did anyone else get a new Sallie card today?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New SallieMae Card arrived today?!?

@wineman wrote:

Like everyone else, I was very sad to learn of the death of the SallieMae MC. I have been getting all the letters and emails about the upcoming change to Commence MC on March 1st. My last digital statement even had a big description of the change and the new benefits, reiterating the March 1st date.

So when I checked the mail today I was not surprised to see an envelope from them, fully expecting it to contain a Commence card. When I opened it, however, it contained a shiny new SallieMae card instead. It has a new security code and an expiration date in 2022. Why on earth would they send me a new card that will only be good for one day (Feb 28th) before being nerfed and replaced with Commence? Is there any possibility they have had a change of heart and will keep the SallieMae arround a bit longer? Did anyone else get a new Sallie card today?

When did your previous Sallie Mae card expire? If it was now, that's probably just an oversight in the automated system. I don't have any new replacement card yet.

Message 2 of 9
wineman
Established Member

My old card expired 04/2017...close, but since they were all supposed to switch on March 1st, it was plenty of time to just send the new one.

Maybe if they saved more money on superfluous replacement cards they could've kept the card and its reward program around. lol

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It'll have the new reward structure once it converts. The day that happens is the end of my Barclay days.
Message 4 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Wouldnt that just be a a Barclays thing, resurrect Sallie and not tell anyoneSmiley Wink, maybe the good ol' British humor, pull one on the yanksSmiley Happy Throw our tea in tge harbor well show you...like 200+ years later....LOL.. good one Sir BarclaysSmiley Happy
Message 5 of 9
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

My card expired next month so I also got a new SM card in February.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Wouldnt that just be a a Barclays thing, resurrect Sallie and not tell anyoneSmiley Wink, maybe the good ol' British humor, pull one on the yanksSmiley Happy Throw our tea in tge harbor well show you...like 200+ years later....LOL.. good one Sir BarclaysSmiley Happy

My gosh ole AverageJoe, you can't be so old that you remember those fine words Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 9
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Not so much Dino, but getting there lolSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 9
ObieGrad
Valued Member

I spoke to them the other day about PC possibilities. They said the "new plastic" is getting mailed March 10 but that the program switches on March 1.

My guess is that sending new physical cards isn't a priority.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.