Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Sears MC targeted bonus offer on unstructured spend

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

New Sears MC targeted bonus offer on unstructured spend

Many of you are aware that Citi has been sending out targeted promotional bonus offers for the Sears Mastercard starting between 3-4 years ago.   These have always been categorized, whether for things like online shopping, gas/groceries/restaurants, or other specific categories. 

I got an offer today via snail-mail (Citi always mails them to me, never email), but this is the first time I received an offer not tied to any specific category other than the usual suite of defined transactions that don't qualify as purchases, mostly cash-equivalent transactions or betting transactions.   In other words, it works for unstructured spend. 

My specific offer is for 15,000 bonus TYP for $2,500 spend on eligible purchases through 3/21/21, starting from time of activation.  Factoring in the normal 1 TYP/$ reward that amounts to a  net 7% return on $2500 spend.   It's also not uncommon for Citi to have multiple versions of an offer, including different thresholds of spend/bonus and straight cashback if the card is not a TYP-earner.

If you have a Sears Mastercard watch for an offer. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
MoneyBurns
Frequent Contributor

Re: New Sears MC targeted bonus offer on unstructured spend

@coldfusion wrote:

Many of you are aware that Citi has been sending out targeted promotional bonus offers for the Sears Mastercard starting between 3-4 years ago.   These have always been categorized, whether for things like online shopping, gas/groceries/restaurants, or other specific categories. 

I got an offer today via snail-mail (Citi always mails them to me, never email), but this is the first time I received an offer not tied to any specific category other than the usual suite of defined transactions that don't qualify as purchases, mostly cash-equivalent transactions or betting transactions.   In other words, it works for unstructured spend. 

My specific offer is for 15,000 bonus TYP for $2,500 spend on eligible purchases through 3/21/21, starting from time of activation.  Factoring in the normal 1 TYP/$ reward that amounts to a  net 7% return on $2500 spend.   It's also not uncommon for Citi to have multiple versions of an offer, including different thresholds of spend/bonus and straight cashback if the card is not a TYP-earner.

Yeah it's one of the BEST cards I've used ever. May it live long and prosper. The bonuses stack! I got a 15% back on restaurants, grocery, and gas for spend over $500 till March and then I just got this!

I don't even know how this is sustainable for them!

Grats on your offers!! This card is really the best. <3

Screenshot_20210122-161015.png

My Current Active Credit Cards
Message 2 of 11
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@MoneyBurns wrote:

@coldfusion wrote:

Yeah it's one of the BEST cards I've used ever. May it live long and prosper. The bonuses stack! I got a 15% back on restaurants, grocery, and gas for spend over $500 till March and then I just got this!

I don't even know how this is sustainable for them!

Grats on your offers!! This card is really the best. <3

Screenshot_20210122-161015.png

So I got a similar offer like @MoneyBurns but it was $50 statement credit offer for $500 unstructured spending. Free monies is free monies to me. I'll slap a few bills on there later this month and nab it. Thanks for the heads up, @coldfusion, because I get repeat emails for an offer I already activated and thought it was more the same. Had to go recheck them after reading this 😂

Message 3 of 11
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

Got mine via email yesterday as usual; never snail mail for me except balance transfers.

Untitled.png

Message 4 of 11
cws-21
Established Contributor

I believe my wife's Sears Mastercard was converted to the Shop Your Way Mastercard. If I'm correct, the last deal of a similar sort that she received is below. My wife gets emailed these deals somewhat regularly and they are often quite good.

EARN REWARDS ON ELIGIBLE PURCHASES AT GAS STATIONS, GROCERY STORES AND RESTAURANTS.
Image of a happy family laughing and unpacking groceries at home.
Activate your offer to start earning
10%
back in statement credits²
on eligible purchases made with your Shop Your Way Mastercard®at:
Gas Stations
Grocery Stores
Restaurants
For total eligible gas station, grocery store and restaurant purchases of $500 or more made each month from 1/1/2021 (or the date you activate this offer, whichever is later) through 3/31/2021, you’ll earn 10% back in statement credits (up to a maximum total statement credit of $100 each month). Only purchases made after activation will apply toward receiving your statement credits.
Hurry, offer ends 3/31/2021!
If you’ve already activated your offer, thank you!
Message 5 of 11
TheBoondocks
Established Contributor

Crazy, I was just looking at this card on the subreddit where people say they been getting tons of promo offers, I like that it has 5% on gas and 3% on grocery but what I don't like is you can't redeem for statement credit and it expires after 1 year of accumulating the points. So, I don't think its worth having if you just use it on what they offer you in the shop your way store, nothing that I want that would be beneficial for me.

Message 6 of 11
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

It depends on the card earning type you have and the specifics of the particular offer.  My offers are usually in bonus TYP as I have a TYP earner but I do get 1-2 offers each year that pay out in statement credit.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 11
cws-21
Established Contributor

@TheBoondocks, the somewhat frequent offers for the Sears Shop Your Way Mastercard, such as the one I copied and pasted to my last post, is for statement credit. This is the only reason why my wife and I use the card given we have no use for the points.

Message 8 of 11
cws-21
Established Contributor

Actually, my wife just received the offer below today for the Shop Your Way Mastercard.

C62B4572-9204-454C-A7E7-41A65D9F1B5C.jpeg

Message 9 of 11
cws-21
Established Contributor

Today, my wife received another statement credit offer for her Shop Your Way Mastercard.

94E86137-B940-4F1D-BE7D-3F96712B072D.jpeg

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.