Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New UNAUTHORIZED account on cr. HELP?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New UNAUTHORIZED account on cr. HELP?!

I checked my cr today and it shows a new cc account titled "HSBC Bank". I neither applied nor open an cc account with HSBC Bank. However, I applied for a Discover More card last week but was denied. The csr said that I would be approved for the Direct Rewards card, but I declined that offer. The csr said that they will mail me info about that card to look over and if I decide to accept the offer I would have to call and activate it. I am furious because I did not authorized to open that cc. What should/can do to dispute that and get that account  removed from my cr?

P.S.- I later asked Discover for recon and got approved for the Discover More.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: New UNAUTHORIZED account on cr. HELP?!

I'd call HSBC as listed on your CR or use a number from the info they sent and ask them to remove that account. I would not dispute.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@llecs wrote:

I'd call HSBC as listed on your CR or use a number from the info they sent and ask them to remove that account. I would not dispute.

i called HSBC and they said that they could close the account but not remove it from my cr. has anyone been in this position?

Message 3 of 9
bartoe
New Contributor

I have.  When I applied for a best buy card in 2005 they required you to "sign" up for one of their mastercards through HSBC.  I refused and the girl at best buy told me that unless i check the box i wouldn't be able to get the best buy card.  i left it blank and also put a big X thru it and said NOT INTERESTED...two weeks later I got my card and I contacted HSBC and I was furious.  The lady at HSBC told me it was my own fault and I said "how is it MY fault that I specifically wrote on the paper application I did not want the card yet it was still sent to me".  After the converstaion ended she agreed to close the acct and remove the information from my CR and sent me a letter.  I would also reccomend going thru the CR and filing disputes as well.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bartoe wrote:

I have.  When I applied for a best buy card in 2005 they required you to "sign" up for one of their mastercards through HSBC.  I refused and the girl at best buy told me that unless i check the box i wouldn't be able to get the best buy card.  i left it blank and also put a big X thru it and said NOT INTERESTED...two weeks later I got my card and I contacted HSBC and I was furious.  The lady at HSBC told me it was my own fault and I said "how is it MY fault that I specifically wrote on the paper application I did not want the card yet it was still sent to me".  After the converstaion ended she agreed to close the acct and remove the information from my CR and sent me a letter.  I would also reccomend going thru the CR and filing disputes as well.

was it removed? file dispute with each credit bureau?

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was also denied a Discover card and sent the HSBC card after I declined it. I decided to just keep the card and closed it after 2 Years.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

i called several times and they finally agree to close and remove from my cr. it has not taken effect yet, a few days maybe

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I checked my cr today and it shows a new cc account titled "HSBC Bank". I neither applied nor open an cc account with HSBC Bank. However, I applied for a Discover More card last week but was denied. The csr said that I would be approved for the Direct Rewards card, but I declined that offer. The csr said that they will mail me info about that card to look over and if I decide to accept the offer I would have to call and activate it. I am furious because I did not authorized to open that cc. What should/can do to dispute that and get that account  removed from my cr?

P.S.- I later asked Discover for recon and got approved for the Discover More.

recon? you mean to reconsider? can you ask them to after being denied?

you just call them and ask? was your first deniel one of those 30 second ones?

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

can anybody provide an answer to my previous question?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.