Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New US Bank Cash+ 5% Category - TV, Internet, Streaming Services

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

New US Bank Cash+ 5% Category - TV, Internet, Streaming Services

Doctor of Credit is reporting that US Bank will be offering a new 5% category starting next quarter that will include TV, internet, and streaming services.  This is replacing the category for car rentals.

DoC link:  https://www.doctorofcredit.com/u-s-bank-cash-adds-tv-internet-streaming-services-as-5-category-repla...

For those who are already using the Cash+ for utilities this could be especially helpful, of course those who are using it for car rentals likely won't be pleased.

Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: New US Bank Cash+ 5% Category - TV, Internet, Streaming Services

Nice! That would definitely be useful. Except that I currently use it for cell phone bill.... hmm lol
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 56
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@pinkandgrey wrote:
Nice! That would definitely be useful. Except that I currently use it for cell phone bill.... hmm lol

Yeah, I have my 5% categories set for utilities and fast food, but my fast food purchases aren't that significant these days.

I'll probably switch to utilities and TV/Internet for my 5% categories for the 2nd quarter, and just use my Savor for 4% cash back at fast food places.  The rewards difference won't be significant, and on the plus-side I'll no longer have to be concerned with what merchant codes are used (fast food vs. restaurant), since the Savor covers both.

Message 3 of 56
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Wait. You can have TWO 5% categories??? I’m deeply ashamed to say that I had no idea.... how did I miss that when I was PICKING CATEGORIES?? Lol why..
Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

girl, you should know these things.  I am new & clueless and I know this. 

We need to stick together.

Message 5 of 56
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@pinkandgrey wrote:
Wait. You can have TWO 5% categories??? I’m deeply ashamed to say that I had no idea.... how did I miss that when I was PICKING CATEGORIES?? Lol why..

Yep, two 5% categories and one 2% category.  I've chosen utilities and fast food for my 5% categories this quarter, with restaurants for the 2% (to catch any 'stray' fast-food places that are using the wrong MCC).

cashpluscategories.png

Message 6 of 56
NRB525
Super Contributor

I see this as something of a nerf, depending how it plays out with actual merchant codes.

I have been assigning Cell Phone and Utilities. The Cell Phone was picking up AT&T of course, but also Frontier for internet and TV, and Utilities seems to get electric, gas, and garbage services.

By more closely defining TV and Internet, I will have to see how my providers code and be a bit more careful which two of the three makes the most sense.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice, but I already got tv/internet/streaming svc covered by my ink cash.

I would love for cash+ to have utilities and insurance *_*
Message 8 of 56
kdm31091
Super Contributor

It's a good category, but you can't help but be a little annoyed at US Bank's continual breaking up of categories to ensure you don't get "too much" cash back. It's an understandable businesss decision, but then, the overall amount is capped anyway, so I don't see the big deal.

For example, why split up TV, Internet and Streaming from utilities or cell phone? Some or all of these should be combined. Same with restaurants and fast food. Clothing stores and department stores even. They have many categories that are very close, but not quite the same, and you can only choose 2 (or have multiple accounts).

I dunno, just not very nice to the customer. I understand the overall cap thing of course, but they need to make the categories include more things per category IMO. Nevertheless, this particular category is probably a positive change for most people.

Message 9 of 56
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Nice, but I already got tv/internet/streaming svc covered by my ink cash.

I would love for cash+ to have utilities and insurance *_*

"Dare to dream."

Message 10 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.