cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Walmart Credit Partner > Capital One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Walmart Store Card going to be Capital One not Synchrony?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gonzozap wrote:

@DebtJoe wrote:
Not sure why anyone needs a $10K+ limit for a Walmart card.

Usually the people complaining are using high limits to pad utilization. If that's gonna make or break your profile then there are bigger issues than just Cap 1 taking over your account.

Right, but don't most folks want higher limits to pad util on all their accounts?  If not, I know all I would need would be $1k or $2k limits and my scores would be tanked.

$10k at Walmart might be a lot, but once someone buys a high ticket item, $10k might not be a lot at all.  This scenario would fit at many banks/stores.

But I wonder if lenders expect the same.  After all, do lenders really anticipate that many people will actually use $25k credit limits?  And if they do, I bet the bank's internal systems will watch them like hawks.

I don’t really think that most lenders expect customers to max out their limits. In fact, quite a few of them like Chase, AMEX, Barclays, and occasionally Disco will get AA happy if a customer does so. 

do we know if bbt is like that concerning AA?

Message 91 of 332
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jnbmom wrote:

@DebtJoe wrote:

Usually the people complaining are using high limits to pad utilization. If that's gonna make or break your profile then there are bigger issues than just Cap 1 taking over your account.

I have a 10K limit on walmart and I don't use that to pad my utilization. I like my limits to be in the same "ballpark" to speak as with my other lenders.

Although some may think the theory is not so, I think your limits at times play a part in your approvals with other creditors and your SL, so I Iike mine to be close inline with of my otherswhen feasible.

Yeah it’s absolutely true that higher limits beget higher limits. Once you break that $10K barrier, the doors fly open when it comes to trust with large limits. 

I don’t really think it hurts to have a few accounts with smaller limits though. My $1K DCU approval is February certainly didn’t stop my $10K Savor One last week. I think Capital One more likely saw my $12,700 Disco and NFCU cards and decided that $10K was acceptable. 

Message 92 of 332
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Gonzozap wrote:

@DebtJoe wrote:

Right, but don't most folks want higher limits to pad util on all their accounts?  If not, I know all I would need would be $1k or $2k limits and my scores would be tanked.

$10k at Walmart might be a lot, but once someone buys a high ticket item, $10k might not be a lot at all.  This scenario would fit at many banks/stores.

But I wonder if lenders expect the same.  After all, do lenders really anticipate that many people will actually use $25k credit limits?  And if they do, I bet the bank's internal systems will watch them like hawks.

I don’t really think that most lenders expect customers to max out their limits. In fact, quite a few of them like Chase, AMEX, Barclays, and occasionally Disco will get AA happy if a customer does so. 

do we know if bbt is like that concerning AA?

Unfortunately I don’t have any experience with BBT, they’re not available in my market. Banks in general tend to be more sensitive to high usage, especially when paired with not paying in full, while credit unions tend to be a lot more tolerant. 

Message 93 of 332
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jnbmom wrote:

@DebtJoe wrote:

I have a 10K limit on walmart and I don't use that to pad my utilization. I like my limits to be in the same "ballpark" to speak as with my other lenders.

Although some may think the theory is not so, I think your limits at times play a part in your approvals with other creditors and your SL, so I Iike mine to be close inline with of my otherswhen feasible.

Yeah it’s absolutely true that higher limits beget higher limits. Once you break that $10K barrier, the doors fly open when it comes to trust with large limits. 

I don’t really think it hurts to have a few accounts with smaller limits though. My $1K DCU approval is February certainly didn’t stop my $10K Savor One last week. I think Capital One more likely saw my $12,700 Disco and NFCU cards and decided that $10K was acceptable. 

@Anonymous  Oh I agree, I have a few cards "cough cough" as in AMEX that are low and appear to stay that waySmiley Embarassed But overall if you have the opportunity to get the limits higher, than I think it helps your credit file.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 94 of 332
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Walmart Credit Partner

Heads up,

I got a letter in mail saying my account will be switched over to Cap One starting July 20, 2019 and they were nice enough give me $1500 CLI as saying thanks for being value customer. Hey better than nothing.

Anyone get something like this?

Message 95 of 332
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Heads up,

I got a letter in mail saying my account will be switched over to Cap One starting July 20, 2019 and they were nice enough give me $1500 CLI as saying thanks for being value customer. Hey better than nothing.

Not yet. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 96 of 332
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Heads up,

Interesting, I haven't gotten anything so far.

May I ask what your previous limit was before the CLI? @Anonymous 

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 97 of 332
atst2000
Frequent Contributor

Interesting you received that letter. I haven’t yet, though it is surprising they also gave you a CLI. Congrats on that. I just wish my $10k Walmart store card would transition to a MC but yeah don’t think that’ll happen before or after the transition lol.
Message 98 of 332
Anonymous
Not applicable

At first, it was $150, requested CLI, approved to $1000, now $1500 extra so total now $2,650.
Message 99 of 332
Anonymous
Not applicable

No letter for me yet either. A CLI to thank me for "staying" isn't really needed in my case, I barely use the $10K limit I have. 

what I'm most interestd in is something that I read somehwre else, that Cap1 will reage the account to the date they took over instead of keeping the original opening date? If true it will be yet another reason for closing, and probably before the switch ion this case. 

Also, I haven't seen any coupons for the 6-12 month 0% interest lately. So I had wondered if this was due to it switching over. I had wanted to make a $1K purchase for the 0%, but looks like that's no longer a thing. Wondering if anyone else noticed the same?

If Cap1 doesn't offer these types of promos going forward, then I simply don't see a need to keep this card anymore.

While I don't really like losing a $10 CL, I have received a couple CLIs recently that will essentiually make up for that loss.

Message 100 of 332
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.