Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Wyndham Credit Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Wyndham Credit Cards

Wyndham released three new cards overnight. Solid option for anyone that enjoys earning Wyndham points. The Wyndham Diamond on the business card sounds nice. Smiley Happy

The Earner and Earner+ also earn 2x and 4x on Club Wyndham, WorldMark by Wyndham, Shell Vacations Club, timehare loan payments, and maintenance fees.

wyndham-earnings-cards.png

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: New Wyndham Credit Cards

That naming convention is unforgivable

The only way to make it more cheesy would have been addition of Earner  Extra +++

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

The fact that the previous cards were just called Wyndham Rewards Credit Card (Gold No Fee) and Wyndham Rewards Credit Card (Platinum w/ Fee) lets you know that they aren't the best with names Smiley Very Happy

@Remedios wrote:

That naming convention is unforgivable

The only way to make it more cheesy would have been addition of Earner  Extra +++

Message 3 of 25
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Wyndham released three new cards overnight. Solid option for anyone that enjoys earning Wyndham points. The Wyndham Diamond on the business card sounds nice. Smiley Happy

The Earner and Earner+ also earn 2x and 4x on Club Wyndham, WorldMark by Wyndham, Shell Vacations Club, timehare loan payments, and maintenance fees.

Hard to say what Wyndham Diamond is actually worth. A reasonable number of Wyndham properties have suites. I stayed at a La Quinta a few years ago that was nice enough.

OTOH it only requires 24 nights a year to reach that top status, and now they give it on a CC, so it may not mean much if everyone has it. I don't know if it can be status matched to anything special.

And most properties are pretty cheap so guests may just book the suites up front, leaving few rooms for upgrades.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 25
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I wonder if my Wyndham Rewards card will get automatically converted or if I have to call them.  5x at gas stations might just get it back out of the sock drawer.

This card also has real chip+pin and no FTF, so it's a good one to have while traveling abroad.

Message 5 of 25
sxa001
Valued Contributor

One of the nicer hotels I ever stayed at was a Howard Johnson in Bangalore.  I could see for those in the Whyndham ecosystem these cards may make a lot of sense.  I see these cards targeting family road trippers who may not have a large assortment of other cards.  Considering the number of families that are going to be taking to the road instead of flying in 2021, I feel like this is a great time for these new cards.  We'll see what it does to the brand overall. 

The only status match I know of for Diamond is getting Caesers rewards Diamond for one year, I have already lost mine and my gambling days are pretty much gone (figured I should put the gambling funds into investments instead).  I was Whyndham diamond through Marriot Platinium but already lost it and never stayed at any Whynham brands in the US during that time so the card isn't personally for me.  

Message 6 of 25
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

So for the $95 business card, you're basically buying 15,000 Wyndham points with cash every year (so paying $95 for a room at most of their properties, the ones that are 15k), and getting an 8x/6%ish gas card. That's... interesting? Not amazeballs but OK.

Frankly their no-AF card is weaker than AMEX Hilton's on the SUB and about par on gas rewards, weaker on dining/groceries/unbonused spend (by a LOT), but they have some nice bennies for card holding (a cheaper rate, 10% off on awards), enough that... well, if Wyndham's your jam I can see going for these cards.

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 7 of 25
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

Frankly their no-AF card is weaker than AMEX Hilton's on the SUB and about par on gas rewards, weaker on dining/groceries/unbonused spend (by a LOT), but they have some nice bennies for card holding (a cheaper rate, 10% off on awards), enough that... well, if Wyndham's your jam I can see going for these cards.

I think Wyndham points are worth a good bit more than Hilton points.  How many Hilton properties can you get for less than 20K points?  Sure, you're not going to Bora Bora or Maldives on Wyndham points, but they're still pretty useful, especially for domestic travel.

I'll grant that the annual fee cards are more interesting as far as points earning.  But for someone who occasionally does family road trips and doesn't care about annual free nights, the free card is nice to have for the little status perks and as a way to keep points from expiring too quickly.

Message 8 of 25
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

I think Wyndham points are worth a good bit more than Hilton points.  How many Hilton properties can you get for less than 20K points?  

Most of the properties at the lowest levels for Hilton are outside the US.

Wyndham's card is still 2x on grocery/dining, 1x unbonused spend for the Wyndham free card vs. 5x and 3x for Hilton, so you have to be rating a Wyndham point at 2.5x-3x Hilton for that spend to even match Hilton. I mean, you can assign whatever value you want, but I don't find it that hard to get .5 cents per point on Hilton, but let's call it .4 to .5; are you arguing that Wyndham is more than 1.2-1.5 cents per point?

FWIW, I am not seeing bloggers who do the "this is what a point is worth" lists assign values well over 1 cent per point for Wyndham- that's about what Hyatt points yield in most estimations. I've been in a Ramada and a Hyatt, and Ramada isn't Hyatt... though there are some nicer Ramadas outside the US I've stayed at.

Wyndham's cheapest redemptions are going to be 7500 points, unless that Motel 6, La Quinta or HoJo is running you over $100 (ouch) it's pretty impossible to get 1.2 cents per point. Last Motel 6 I stayed in was ~$70 and, well, it definitely looked like a $70 room. Clean but beat up. You're not getting the Ritz Carlton at those prices. I might say it's a bit over Hilton at .6ish(?) but I don't think I'd go at a penny a point.

Wyndham tends to be a lot stronger at the lower pricing levels than other chains, plus they probably have better coverage near national parks than most other chains, so if that's your jam, sure, I can see that card working out for you.

| Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 18k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi Custom Cash 11.9k | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Freedom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 9 of 25
Rockysocks
Frequent Contributor

Pardon my ignorance, but are the points earned from purchases only redeemable for hotel rooms?

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.