Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New benefit on AA cards

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

New benefit on AA cards

Well, sort of new!    Next month AA begins, on certain routes, "Basic Economy" which has several restrictions, two of which are:

1) No access to overhead bins

2) If a bag has to be checked at the gate, there is a $25 fee

You are also in the last boarding group (presumably to help staff check that you aren't trying to use the bins!)

With both the Citi and Barclays card, you don't have these restrictions, and you can board in group 1.

So, slight advantage if Basic Economy is much cheaper, and the other restrictions (no standby, no changes or refunds, seat assignment free only at checkin etc) are acceptable

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

Re: New benefit on AA cards

Anyone else find this degrading? lol.. There better be a big diff between Economy and Basic for me to go through all of that..

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a cardholder of the old Barclays card which gives me 10K miles a year, this will actually work out great for me. Cheaper fares (hopefully), same ability to carry on bags, and less people fighting for overhead space. Another reason not to give up my Barclays card any time soon.

I just need to either avoid these fares on other airlines or start packing light enough to fit everything under my seat...
Message 3 of 16
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

And yet another reason for me NOT to fly on AA (I usually use SW, for many different resons, including cost and free baggage)

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 16
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Just when I thought the boarding process couldn't get longer or more complicated...

Since it's being offered, though, I'd probably book those seats. I usually check a large bag and don't need overhead bins.

The incentives seem reasonable, though. As a bag-checker, I'm not a fan of delays from the gate-checked baggage of others.

* I think I'd very much like SW, but they don't serve my regular routes.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 16
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
As a cardholder of the old Barclays card which gives me 10K miles a year, this will actually work out great for me. Cheaper fares (hopefully), same ability to carry on bags, and less people fighting for overhead space. Another reason not to give up my Barclays card any time soon.

I just need to either avoid these fares on other airlines or start packing light enough to fit everything under my seat...

I doubt the fares will go down. The old economy fare will become the new super economy type fare, therefore making you pay extra for the same as you would have had before

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 6 of 16
Random_idiot
Established Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I doubt the fares will go down. The old economy fare will become the new super economy type fare, therefore making you pay extra for the same as you would have had before

Hopefully noone flies so the other airlines don't follow.

Total Credit Line- $89,300| Personal- $78,650 | Biz- $5,650
Current Score [F9]: EX-721 || TU-759 || EQ-768 || AAoA-2yrs7mo || uti- 1% || 100% payment history || 9 inq
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the Citi AA card, do I have to actually pay with the card to get group 1, or just have it on me?   I'm pretty sure I have to pay with the card, just curious.

Message 8 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have the Citi AA card, do I have to actually pay with the card to get group 1, or just have it on me?   I'm pretty sure I have to pay with the card, just curious.

In the past, you got group 1 without paying with the card (or having it on you), providing your AA number was on the booking (the benefits are linked to this).   But who knows if they change things with this.

Message 9 of 16
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@Random_idiot wrote:

@fltireguy wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hopefully noone flies so the other airlines don't follow.

Delta already has Basic Economy

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/onboard-experience/basic-economy.html

Not as restrictive as AA's version.  Can still use overheadbins, but good luck if you're the last one boarding.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.